Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: ALL A Classic State Tournament Preview
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In this thread I'd love to hear from folks who follow the 16 schools who advanced to state. Give a preview of your team, including key players and what you think will happen..

University Heights - Many in Region 2 expected the Blazers to fall off significantly. It's understandable.. You lose one of the best players in region 2 history in Kyky tandy, a high level division one athlete in Drew McGowan (Miss state baseball) and perhaps the All A classic MVP, Taquan Hollowell off of a 30 win team... The Blazers got off to a slow start but a very strong junior class has lifted them to perhaps the second best team in the second region.

After starting 5 - 8 against a brutal schedule the blazers have reeled off 5 in a row including two big wins against Christian County and Hopkinsville.

The Blazers are guard dominant with 4 guards starting less than 6'0 tall. They are led by KJ Crump who missed the All A state tournament last year due to what turned out to be a broken lower part of his leg. He leads the blazers averaging over 20 per game. But they are very balanced with all four guards averaging in double figures. DJ Quarels is a defensive stallwart but also scores and shoots well from outstide. Amani McGee has really turned it on in the last 3 weeks and is in double figures now and William Bryan, the best soccer player in region 2 is in double figures at 10 per game.

The blazers split time between two big men, Senior weston wood and Sophmore Namari hall. Hall has turned it on in the last three weeks as well. Both are 6'4.

The Blazers first round opponent, Murray is one of the top teams in Region 1. They opened the season against each other with Murray winning by 12. Murray actually built a 25 point lead but the blazers clawed all the way back to within 5 late in the game. Both teams are very different and improved since the opening game of the season.

I actually think that this year's all a classic is way DOWN. Based on what i've seen, there aren't any top 20 teams in the state in the tournament this year. Last year UHA, Walton Verona, Mayfield and Lexington christian were considered top 20 teams at one time or the other throughout the season.

I think the winner of the Murray V UHA game makes the finals... I'll go ahead and pick murray but I wouldn't be surprised to see UHA make a deep run because of their experience in the tournament.
I'll take a final four of Bishop Brossart, Murray, Hazard, and Somerset. Hazard over Murray in the championship, but I wouldn't be surprised at any of those teams winning the whole thing.
dodger Wrote:I'll take a final four of Bishop Brossart, Murray, Hazard, and Somerset. Hazard over Murray in the championship, but I wouldn't be surprised at any of those teams winning the whole thing.

That's a pretty good guess. Those are probably the four best teams in the tournament. I think it's pretty clear that the overall level of teams is down this year.
Some very solid teams, but hard to see anyone that's going to make a run in the big show in March.
I see hazard having a really hard first game..if they get past that and paintsville wins another hard game for hazard..Somerset is a very solid and tough team..IMO hazard will have a hard time beating Somerset they have the same type of team..very disciplined, execute very well, a good player at every position, and a deep bench..this to me will be best game in all a..assuming both teams make it to the semi finals.
Can somebody post a bracket for the tournament? Thanks
Like you post ! Go Hazard !