Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Cincinnati Moeller Hires Mark Elder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This hire surprised me. Cincinnati Moeller hires former Eastern Kentucky University head football coach Mark Elder. Elder was released from EKU at the conclusion of the 2019 season. The Colonels went 7-5 this past season and 21-24 over his 4 seasons as head coach. I hope he does well.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/...692187001/
Moeller job is better than EKU.. probably better paying job!
Craze JACKET man Wrote:Moeller job is better than EKU.. probably better paying job!

EKU paid him $300,000 a year.

:eyeroll:
Craze JACKET man Wrote:Moeller job is better than EKU.. probably better paying job!

Right. Moeller has done exactly what lately? 2-8 in 2019, 6-5 in 2018 and he’s their 4th coach since 2017 (according to reports). EKU was very competitive, has ramped up financial support for the program including new facilities, etc. don’t hate on the Colonels. Lol. Moeller is a proud old program, like EKU, and I’d say his college experience is a huge attraction to them wanting to return to their former dominance. It’s a super attractive high school program but in no way a better job than EKU.
Glad to see EKU move on maybe some East Kentucky kids can get some love from the new staff...
single shot Wrote:Glad to see EKU move on maybe some East Kentucky kids can get some love from the new staff...

^^^This!
single shot Wrote:Glad to see EKU move on maybe some East Kentucky kids can get some love from the new staff...

KY kids period.

They manly recruit out of state then offer KY kids PWO to try and bolster their roster.

Pathetic.

Maybe it'll be different with the new staff?!?!
FoSho Wrote:KY kids period.

They manly recruit out of state then offer KY kids PWO to try and bolster their roster.

Pathetic.

2016- 37 Ky kids on the roster
2017- 46 Ky kids on the roster
2018- 23 Ky kids on the roster
2019- 39 Ky kids on the roster

One of my biggest contentions was the lack of EKy kids being offered. Largest majority of those listed were Lou/Lex/NKy players. Just a sprinkling of EKy players. I know Jackson Hensley was offered (I believe), but he committed to Harvard. I don’t know about Seth Pugh, etc. other than Hensley the last few offered and signed were from Belfry (Horton, Scott, Catron) in Pike County.
Roy Kidd won big there with a roster made up of mostly Kentucky kids no reason another coach couldn’t do the same thing if they know what they’re doing...Way to much talent going to waste that’s not even being considered...
single shot Wrote:Roy Kidd won big there with a roster made up of mostly Kentucky kids no reason another coach couldn’t do the same thing if they know what they’re doing...Way to much talent going to waste that’s not even being considered...

Agree.
I remember Tuck Woolum and Steve Bird(?) playing. But I do remember Roy dipping his feet into the Florida/Georgia recruiting pool as well. Elroy Harris and maybe Marcus Thomas came from down that way if I'm not incorrect. It would make me really happy to see them come back into the national championship contention picture again. That place rocked during games in the early/mid eighties. Portable lights and all.
papagrit Wrote:I remember Tuck Woolum and Steve Bird(?) playing. But I do remember Roy dipping his feet into the Florida/Georgia recruiting pool as well. Elroy Harris and maybe Marcus Thomas came from down that way if I'm not incorrect. It would make me really happy to see them come back into the national championship contention picture again. That place rocked during games in the early/mid eighties. Portable lights and all.

Elroy Harris, Markus Thomas, Bobby Scannell, Myron Guyton, Dale Dawson, Danny Copeland, Fred Harvey, etc just from the 80s teams. Not to mention, John Klingel, Joe Mauntel, John Jackson, Harold Torrens from Ohio on those teams too. I’d be remiss not to mention the Ky boys he had. People like Byron Ingram from Lexington, Chris McNamee and his brother from Pikeville, David Hensley from (I think) Pineville(?), Scott Draudt from NKy, Matt Wallace from Woodford County, and so on. It was all about relationships with HS coaches, then when their players got here, teaching them about family and treating them like family. That kept those pipelines open at the talent rich schools.
FoSho Wrote:KY kids period.

Pathetic.

This is exactly what happened with my boy. Told him all they could offer at this time was a PWO. Ethan just laughed at them and never went back. And they wonder why people are turning away from the program and alot of kids not wasting their time to even go up there.

And it's not just EKU, it's the D-2, D3, and NAIA schools in Kentucky as well letting some good talent slip away and go out of state.

Look, I know what my boy is. He's only 6'1"/6'2" 280lbs and I don't expect UK or UofL to be knocking down the door. We've already been told he's to small for big time D-1 at that size for a lineman. But to not hear anything from D-2 and below in Kentucky is mind blowing! Ethan has 13 offers and only 2 of them were from the state of Kentucky, Georgetown and Union College. Like I said, I know Ethan isn't the next Jeff Saturday but I know for damn sure he's good enough to play at some of these in state schools, as well as a lot of these other good athletes that's having to leave the state to play at the next level because, for some reason, Kentucky schools are just not interested. I don't know what's going on but there's definitely a problem somewhere.
I know it's off the thread topic but one other thing and I'll let it go. The Mountain East Conference has teams in it from West Virginia, Ohio, Virginia, North Carolina, and Maryland and it is turning into one of the better D-2 conferences in the nation and it has alot to do with their loading up on Kentucky high school football players, damn good players, that our own state teams doesn't want anything to do with. And it's sad to say that their going to be getting a few more from the class of 2020.

I'm a Kentucky boy, was born here, and I hate to sound like I'm bad mouthing our state. But I'll be honest, over the last three years of Ethan's recruiting it has really left a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to some of Kentucky's Colleges and Universities. We live 25 minutes from UPIKE and he's never got a text, call, or even a letter from them until the other day when they came to Belfry and ran into him and told him to ride over and look around if he wanted to. Come on now, that's not how you recruit.
#55PirateFan Wrote:This is exactly what happened with my boy. Told him all they could offer at this time was a PWO. Ethan just laughed at them and never went back. And they wonder why people are turning away from the program and alot of kids not wasting their time to even go up there.

And it's not just EKU, it's the D-2, D3, and NAIA schools in Kentucky as well letting some good talent slip away and go out of state.

Look, I know what my boy is. He's only 6'1"/6'2" 280lbs and I don't expect UK or UofL to be knocking down the door. We've already been told he's to small for big time D-1 at that size for a lineman. But to not hear anything from D-2 and below in Kentucky is mind blowing! Ethan has 13 offers and only 2 of them were from the state of Kentucky, Georgetown and Union College. Like I said, I know Ethan isn't the next Jeff Saturday but I know for damn sure he's good enough to play at some of these in state schools, as well as a lot of these other good athletes that's having to leave the state to play at the next level because, for some reason, Kentucky schools are just not interested. I don't know what's going on but there's definitely a problem somewhere.

I will say that I know for sure the last class they really loaded up on linemen (EKU). Like most colleges do, they recruit according to need and if a certain lineman, skill player, etc is too good to pass on, they will offer anyway. Not saying your boy is not too good to pass on, just making that point. It is exactly what happened to my son.

As for UPike, exactly the same thing happened to my boy as well. Stinks and I completely agree with you. Both Dakota schools called and offered, Culver-Stockton, a WV school, etc. I think schools get too locked in sometimes on what position the player currently plays and don’t project for the next level. We have all seen the HS lineman become a TE, or QB become a RB, etc.