Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: WV Man Suing McDonalds for $10 million
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From the Charleston Daily Mail...

A Morgantown man, his mother and his friend are suing McDonald's for $10 million. The man says he bit into a hamburger and had a severe allergic reaction to the cheese melted on it. Jeromy Jackson, who is in his early 20s, says he clearly ordered two Quarter Pounders without cheese at the McDonald's restaurant in Star City before heading to Clarksburg. The lawsuit alleges Jeromy "was only moments from death" or serious injury by the time he reached the hospital. Jeromy did his part to make it known he didn't want cheese on the hamburgers because he is allergic. The attorney says Jeromy took one bite and started having the reaction. McDonald's representatives offered to pay half of Jeromy's medical bills -- which totaled about $700. The family told them no thanks. The incident occurred in 2005.

http://www.dailymail.com/story/News/2007...0-million/

My question is this: If he ordered "no cheese", knew that he couldn't eat cheese, didn't he notice the melted cheese stuck to the wax paper when he unwrapped the burger? Is it that hard to not notice cheese melted on a burger, especially if you asked some 5 times for no cheese? Wouldn't you check it yourself before pulling out of the drive-thru?
I can see the guy being a little upset...sometimes
we get in major "chomp" mode and don't really look
before we eat; however, if eating cheese gave me a
near death experience, I might be more apt to check
on my fast food burger. The thing I wonder about
is the ten million dollars. Is that just some amount
the lawyers came up with hoping for a tasty settlement
short of that figure? Is that what the lawyers really
determined the negligence to cost the man in pain and
suffering?
It strikes me a little odd that he was near death, but his total hospital bill was only $1,400, and I agree with cavemaster if cheese affected me that way I would difinitely watch what I eat.
I know that if I knew that I couldn't eat cheese, I would have checked that burger over and over and over again. And if his allergic reaction was that bad, then more than likely he didn't need to be eating there anyway. Most people who have an allergic reaction that bad (or so they say) can't even come in contact with something that has been in contact with the cheese or they'll have a reaction. That's the reason you see all the signs up in restaraunts telling everyone that they use peanut oil. Because if your allergic to peanuts, you don't need to be eating there. Also, that's the cheapest "near death" hospital bill I have ever heard of. Total scam IMO.
Even if he didn't know he was allergic to cheese, and they let this go through and he gets money, everyone who ever got a bad order can sue because heck, the restaurant was putting everyone who got the wrong order at risk for an allergic reaction.
McDonald's is in the wrong here, and they should have offered to pay the entire hospital bill. Only offering to pay half makes them look bad, it's not like $1400 is that much money to them. But $10 million? What a joke.
I guess thats one way to fund your oxycontin habit
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I guess thats one way to fund your oxycontin habit

HA! That's one way to look at it!
I agree that the guy should have looked at his own wraper first if it was such an important matter but still McDonald's is at fault because of its employee that failed to give the request to the cook or the cook for not carrying out that request. In a nut shell McDonalds should have just paid the full bill.