Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Rivalry of the Decade 2010-2019
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is your Favorite Rivalry of this past decade?

Mine:
Belfry/Central

Others I can think of
Male/Trinity
Pikeville/Beechwood
Pulaski/Bowling Green
Belfry/Corbin
Bell Co/Entire State of Kentucky :redboxer:
Johnson Central/Belfry

I know there are tons of others, I'm just trying to get the conversation started.
Raceland and Paintsville
Pikeville & Paintsville > Pikeville & Beechwood.

I get the significance of 2 state title match ups and a split but that was it.

Pikeville and Paintsville played 13 times. One of the biggest upsets in Class A of the decade in the 2014 playoffs. Twice the regular season winner flipped the script in the playoffs. Maybe the only downside is out of the 13 games only 3 were super competitive. The rest were decided pretty well one way. Both teams had big wins and close wins.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:What is your Favorite Rivalry of this past decade?

Mine:
Belfry/Central

Others I can think of
Male/Trinity
Pikeville/Beechwood
Pulaski/Bowling Green
Belfry/Corbin
Johnson Central/Belfry

I know there are tons of others, I'm just trying to get the conversation started.

Did Pulaski ever beat Bowling Green this decade? Or even come close? I don't know if I'd call that a rivalry. They only played like 3 or 4 times I think with Bowling Green winning them all decisively.
Mayfield vs Beechwood?

Boyle County vs Lex Cath.

CAL vs DeSales
RoShamBo Wrote:Did Pulaski ever beat Bowling Green this decade? Or even come close? I don't know if I'd call that a rivalry. They only played like 3 or 4 times I think with Bowling Green winning them all decisively.

Closest we ever came to beating bowling green was in 2015 when we lost 21-7. I wish we could have got one because that was a special group we had. Pulaski county’s class of 2017 played in four straight state championship games.

That class had some great games against southwestern during those years. Pulaski vs Southwestern during those years were about as strong as a rivalry as you’re going to find.
Belfry vs. Johnson Central

2010: Johnson Central 42-7
2011: Johnson Central 21-14
2012: Belfry 17-12
2013: Johnson Central 54-28
2014: Johnson Central 35-0
2015: Belfry 41-0
2016: Belfry 21-16
2017: Belfry 35-19
2018: Johnson Central 34-21
2019: Johnson Central 53-16

JC leads the series since 2010 at 6-4.

Starting in 2010, at least one of these teams have been in the state finals every year in their class. There have been seven state championships won between these two programs (Belfry 5; JC 2) & fourteen trips to the state finals (Belfry 9; JC 5).
RoShamBo Wrote:Did Pulaski ever beat Bowling Green this decade? Or even come close? I don't know if I'd call that a rivalry. They only played like 3 or 4 times I think with Bowling Green winning them all decisively.

I wasn't suggesting that it was. I was just throwing out possibilities to drive the conversation.
Belfry and JC had been a good one here lately. Of course St X and trinity. Corbin and bell could have been up there but a certain coach saw to the end of that. In the last 5 years or so I honestly don’t tbink it gets much better than corbin vs central. All the playoff battles have been hard fought with some wild finishes.
Belfry and Johnson Central has never had the feel of a big rivalry to me. Probably because they have been in different districts and classes for years. Before Coach Matney arrived, there was no rivalry because Belfry won most games in the series convincingly. It was hard to have a rivalry when one team does all the winning. The coaching staffs of the two schools always seemed to get along and during seasons when the two did not schedule games, they often scrimmaged.

The annual game between these two teams now seems like a friendly, hard hitting warm up for the playoffs following weak district competition for both teams, with both hoping to avoid serious injuries. The hatred between players, fans, and coaching staffs that often come with intense rivalries just does not seem to exist between Johnson Central and Belfry.

If Highlands had kept Johnson Central on the schedule after moving to 5A, I think that series would have made for a great rivalry. Highlands should play in the class where they belong and or add the Golden Eagles to their schedule and agree to play in Paintsville every other year.

If Ashland was not afraid to schedule Johnson Central except when the KHSAA put them in the same class and district, that could have been a decent rivalry. Beating the Tomcats like a drum never gets old and on the rare occasions when Ashland beats JC, it is as close to a state title as they ever get. :biggrin:
AtlPirateFan Wrote:What is your Favorite Rivalry of this past decade?

Mine:
Belfry/Central

Others I can think of
Male/Trinity
Pikeville/Beechwood
Pulaski/Bowling Green
Belfry/Corbin
Johnson Central/Belfry

Even though they won’t play us now, the Bell / Corbin rivalry has to be one of the biggest in the state, it sure has had its moments over the years capped off by Dudley taking his booster seat and sippy cup to the stands after the last game...
single shot Wrote:Even though they won’t play us now, the Bell / Corbin rivalry has to be one of the biggest in the state, it sure has had its moments over the years capped off by Dudley taking his booster seat and sippy cup to the stands after the last game...

I agree. A LOT of the hate that’s talked about in this thread existed. But the the highlight of the rivalry for me was when we blew them out at home. That was until the next year when Ole Dud just threw the towel in and went and set in the stands. Haha. I wish we had gif of that. I have to say, I’ve never seen that before. Probably never will again
Several good rivalry games. Some of my favorites would be: Cov Cath/Highlands, Boyle/Danville, Belfry/Central. Where they met in finals a few times I believe John Central/ Franklin Simpson we’re developing a good one.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Belfry and Johnson Central has never had the feel of a big rivalry to me. Probably because they have been in different districts and classes for years. Before Coach Matney arrived, there was no rivalry because Belfry won most games in the series convincingly. It was hard to have a rivalry when one team does all the winning. The coaching staffs of the two schools always seemed to get along and during seasons when the two did not schedule games, they often scrimmaged.

The annual game between these two teams now seems like a friendly, hard hitting warm up for the playoffs following weak district competition for both teams, with both hoping to avoid serious injuries. The hatred between players, fans, and coaching staffs that often come with intense rivalries just does not seem to exist between Johnson Central and Belfry.

If Highlands had kept Johnson Central on the schedule after moving to 5A, I think that series would have made for a great rivalry. Highlands should play in the class where they belong and or add the Golden Eagles to their schedule and agree to play in Paintsville every other year.

If Ashland was not afraid to schedule Johnson Central except when the KHSAA put them in the same class and district, that could have been a decent rivalry. Beating the Tomcats like a drum never gets old and on the rare occasions when Ashland beats JC, it is as close to a state title as they ever get. :biggrin:

I agree Hoot. These two teams just don't seem like rivals to me. To much respect and friendships between the two coaching staffs and even with the players.

I think Belfry is a bigger rival with Pikeville than they are with the Eagles. Although the series has been pretty one sided in the last 10 years, it still feels like a rival. And the Panthers have had some GREAT teams over those years especially the last two wins they had, this year and 2015. And no matter the score, the always play hard. And before 2000, the rivalry was pretty even, if I'm not mistaken.

And don't you worry none about Ashland, we got this for you! 😂 They can run from the Eagles, but they ran head first into the Pirates. Now they can't dodge Belfry, unless they just can't make it far enough in the playoffs to face the Pirates. My buddy Tomcat Pride can troll and talk all the trash he wants to but, in the end it's the same result, he's watching the finals from his momma's basement! He'd be better off taking up another hobby because he's doing nothing but embarrassing himself on here! 😂
Hound05 Wrote:I agree. A LOT of the hate that’s talked about in this thread existed. But the the highlight of the rivalry for me was when we blew them out at home. That was until the next year when Ole Dud just threw the towel in and went and set in the stands. Haha. I wish we had gif of that. I have to say, I’ve never seen that before. Probably never will again

That gif wouldn’t fit on a phone screen...Confusednicker:
2000PHS vs JetPilot
2000PHS Wrote:2000PHS vs JetPilot

Doesn’t compare to FoSho vs the world.........
I’m going to go with Somerset VS Danville. Always a good atmosphere when those two are in the house.
Jarons Wrote:Raceland and Paintsville

Wasn’t a rivalry until about 2015. Before that Raceland had a pretty good Rivalry with Fairview. From 2010 to 2014.
Belfry vs Central is the first that comes to mind for me.
Pulaski v Somerset. Those were fun days to be rivals. Don’t start the argument, just recognize it was a good rivalry.
CowboyDad Wrote:Pulaski v Somerset. Those were fun days to be rivals. Don’t start the argument, just recognize it was a good rivalry.

Confusednicker: