Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: WHAT IF? Overall State Champion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just throwing this out there. What if there was a playoff for overall State Champions?
Thoughts? Who Wins these matchups???

A.) #1 Covington Catholic (plays winner of…)
#4 Pikeville vs #5 Belfry
B.) #2 Trinity (plays winner of…)
#3 Johnson Central vs #6 Somerset

Belfry over Pikeville (Dixon would be back). Cov Cath big over Belfry. Johnson over Somerset. Trinity over JC. Trinity over Cov Cath.
Agree. It'd be fun to see though. I'm just not ready for HS Football seaon to be over yet.:Sad04:
mandolin-fool Wrote:Agree. It'd be fun to see though. I'm just not ready for HS Football seaon to be over yet.:Sad04:

Same here.
I would like to see Cov Cath vs Trinity. Best player in the state vs the best team. I think it would be a very good game. I would go Trinity 21-14.
mandolin-fool Wrote:Agree. It'd be fun to see though. I'm just not ready for HS Football seaon to be over yet.:Sad04:

Oh Lord!!! Who is????
Trinity would put a running clock on everyone except Cov Cath and Johnsonville.
FootballFan1999 Wrote:Nobody is beating Trinity.

Belfry over Pikeville (Dixon would be back). Cov Cath big over Belfry. Johnson over Somerset. Trinity over JC. Trinity over Cov Cath.

Confusednicker:

ConfusedingleparConfusedingleparConfusedingleparConfusedingleparConfusedinglepar
Cov Cath and Trinity were the best two teams this weekend. The lower champs might give either a good game for a half but I don't seem anyone from 1-4 who could beat either one.
My bias is obvious, but I still think Trinity would win. Covcath would take them to the wire and make the Rocks work for it, tho.
mandolin-fool Wrote:Just throwing this out there. What if there was a playoff for overall State Champions?
Thoughts? Who Wins these matchups???

A.) #1 Covington Catholic (plays winner of…)
#4 Pikeville vs #5 Belfry
B.) #2 Trinity (plays winner of…)
#3 Johnson Central vs #6 Somerset

I’ve not seen many teams play outside mountains, so would most people have Cov. Cath. ranked 1 & Trinity #2? Not questioning your knowledge, just wondering??
Boomer_Sooner Wrote:I’ve not seen many teams play outside mountains, so would most people have Cov. Cath. ranked 1 & Trinity #2? Not questioning your knowledge, just wondering??

I would flip it. Trinity clear cut #1 and Cov Cath #2 who would give Trinity a game but would probably lose by 10+ in the end.
I would personally have Trinity #1 and Cov.Cath #2... I was just pretend "seeding" them based on the MaxPreps Final State Rankings from yesterday. Either way, it's just a made up playoff scenario so it really doesn't matter either way I guess.
I was not terribly impressed with Trinity seeing them in person. Their lines were strong, QB was decent but not the best I saw all weekend. I really don’t know what Male was doing on offense, but they definitely didn’t have a plan for this game beyond throwing incomplete bomb on repeat toward Cummins and not giving it to Bross enough. I definitely think CC competes with them, and I am not so certain JC or Boyle wouldn’t stand a decent chance. Grain of salt, this is all based on one game viewing.
If we’re just ranking champs I’d rank them as follows.
1. Trinity
2. Johnson Central
3. Cov Cath
4. Belfry
5. Pikeville
6. Somerset

Overall ranking
1. T
2. H
3. JC
4. Boyle
5. Cov Cath
6. FD
7. Belfry
8. Pikeville
9. Bell
10. Somerset
11. Mayfield
12. Paintsville
I always enjoy defending champs playing one another; Belfry should play 1A's and 4A's next year.

No school is beating Trinity, period. Covington Catholic beats everyone else, but Johnson Central could be tough competition for them.

1A Pikeville vs. 2A Somerset - Pikeville.

Pikeville was fabulous this year.

3A Belfry vs. 4A Johnson Central - Johnson Central.

Would be a solid game, but JC's depth wins out, in the end.

5A Covington Catholic vs. Trinity 6A - Trinity.

I had the pleasure of seeing both Cov. Catholic and Trinity in person, a few times each, and I believe it would be a grand game.
I know teams improve throughout the year but a lot of ppl seem to forget that Lex Cath had Cov Cath on the ropes in Covington. The same Lex Cath that was routed by Boyle Co twice.

Johnson Central demolishes Belfry in week ten so that’s a given.
BoondockSaint Wrote:If we’re just ranking champs I’d rank them as follows.
1. Trinity
2. Johnson Central
3. Cov Cath
4. Belfry
5. Pikeville
6. Somerset

Overall ranking
1. T
2. H
3. JC
4. Boyle
5. Cov Cath
6. FD
7. Belfry
8. Pikeville
9. Bell
10. Somerset
11. Mayfield
12. Paintsville

You folks here on BGR and your insistence on completely disassociating with Northern Kentucky.

[Image: giphy.gif]
BoondockSaint Wrote:I know teams improve throughout the year but a lot of ppl seem to forget that Lex Cath had Cov Cath on the ropes in Covington. The same Lex Cath that was routed by Boyle Co twice.

All of central Kentucky is going to continue hanging their hat on that one game. If that's what makes you sleep at night, then that's what makes you sleep at night.

So first off, clearly Covington Catholic did not playing well against Lexington Catholic. I think that's apparent to most anyone out there (key word: "most"). But then also, like you said, teams improve over the course of a season. That game was like three months ago, I think? And you're using that game to base putting a team that lost the 4A finals over the undefeated 5A champion.

Well, you do you, bro.
From CalPreps

1 Covington Catholic 63.1
2 Trinity 59.9
3 Male 49.6
4 Johnson Central 48.3
5 Boyle County 41.3
6 Frederick Douglass 38.1
7 Pikeville 37.3
8 Belfry 35.8
9 Somerset 32.3
10 Mayfield 26.5
11 Bell County 25.7
12 Paintsville 16.2
TheOracle Wrote:All of central Kentucky is going to continue hanging their hat on that one game. If that's what makes you sleep at night, then that's what makes you sleep at night.

So first off, clearly Covington Catholic did not playing well against Lexington Catholic. I think that's apparent to most anyone out there (key word: "most"). But then also, like you said, teams improve over the course of a season. That game was like three months ago, I think? And you're using that game to base putting a team that lost the 4A finals over the undefeated 5A champion.

Well, you do you, bro.

I put Covington Catholic at #1, but that's just me. I thought they looked better than Trinity this past weekend. And some of you don't throw stones, this is just MY opinion! 😂
TheOracle Wrote:All of central Kentucky is going to continue hanging their hat on that one game. If that's what makes you sleep at night, then that's what makes you sleep at night.

Well, you do you, bro.

Sometimes it’s the only viable comparison that can be made and it makes just as much, if not more sense than some computer generated rankings.

No offense intended, by the way. I was there rooting for Cov Cath Saturday night and I am a distant fan of the program. Don’t take it personal.
Boomer_Sooner Wrote:I’ve not seen many teams play outside mountains, so would most people have Cov. Cath. ranked 1 & Trinity #2? Not questioning your knowledge, just wondering??

I think I would probably slightly favor trinity this year but I think there is potential for a good game if things played out just right for cov Cath. I could also see a scenario where cov Cath would win the game. It would definitely be fun to watch.
TheOracle Wrote:From CalPreps

1 Covington Catholic 63.1
2 Trinity 59.9
3 Male 49.6
4 Johnson Central 48.3
5 Boyle County 41.3
6 Frederick Douglass 38.1
7 Pikeville 37.3
8 Belfry 35.8
9 Somerset 32.3
10 Mayfield 26.5
11 Bell County 25.7
12 Paintsville 16.2

MaxPreps #27 in the nation.
CalPreps #47 in the nation.

No one else in the state was named higher nationally.

Well, you do you, bro.

Covington Catholic shifted personnel and changed their entire defense after that game. They didn't have the correct scheme for their players. It was hard to tell in previous games because the competition was not so great. Then the best qb in the state shows up dropping dimes in buckets that rarely if ever happens in high school football. The offense was sluggish as well. Cov Cath normally needs offensive production to put pressure on the opposing teams offense. It was the third game of the season. Cov Cath still won the game. Lot of people forget that. Cov Cath adapted and went on a historic run. It's not complicated.
Terrible idea - just like the last 30 years, because it's brought up every year.
You can't have classes and then put them together at the end. The worst thing you could do to a state champion is make them play again and go home a loser.
Trinity and I don't think it's close. I think its a credit to belfry that they scheduled 2 of these teams in regular season every year though.
BoondockSaint Wrote:I know teams improve throughout the year but a lot of ppl seem to forget that Lex Cath had Cov Cath on the ropes in Covington. The same Lex Cath that was routed by Boyle Co twice.

Having attended the Cov. Cath - Lex Cath. game in person (it's quite close to my home). Cov Cath. flipped the switch, late in the game, and with Mayer, and proved why they are a very, very, very good team; not playing their best, and still pulling the game out, in the end.

I saw Cov Cath three more times, after the Lex. Cath game, including when they beat Cincinnati LaSalle (who is VERY GOOD).

JC is a very good team (transitive property notwithstanding), but they are not beating Cov. Cath; certainly could make a game of it, but Cov. Cath is simply the better team.
turkeysalad Wrote:Having attended the Cov. Cath - Lex Cath. game in person (it's quite close to my home). Cov Cath. flipped the switch, late in the game, and with Mayer, and proved why they are a very, very, very good team; not playing their best, and still pulling the game out, in the end.

I saw Cov Cath three more times, after the Lex. Cath game, including when they beat Cincinnati LaSalle (who is VERY GOOD).

JC is a very good team (transitive property notwithstanding), but they are not beating Cov. Cath; certainly could make a game of it, but Cov. Cath is simply the better team.

Here’s as about as much as I can or will concede. I wouldn’t say one is definitely better than the other until they lined up and played 4 quarters of big boy football.

I can say this though, Michael Maher is more than likely the most physically dominant football player I’ve personally watched in KY HS football. It was a pleasure seeing him play, especially on defense.
Pages: 1 2