Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: One crazy stat...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since 2003, It is no secret that Belfry has won 7 state titles. A crazy stat is that in those 7 wins, they have passed for a grand total of 14 yards. That is amazing, especially in a sport where passing has become such a factor. In 5 of those games they passed for 0 yards and in one game they had 5 yards passing and in the other it was 9 yards.
When you do what they do, as well as they do it you don't have to pass. They are so fundamentally sound. They never miss assignments and their blocking techniques are perfect. When you think about it, it doesn't matter how many people the defense puts in the box, if everyone on the offense blocks someone on the defense the biggest advantage that the defense can get is 2 on the ball carrier--and that is if the quarterback isn't involved in the play. With Belfry's schemes those unaccounted for tacklers seem to never be at the point of attack. It results in a lot of 5-7 yard gains and methodical drives. I was born and raised a Briar Jumper, but I admire the heck out of how Belfry runs their program. Hats off to Coach Howard and his system, it is second to none.
You know I’m not really that surprised HAhah. Haywood gets it done his way. And for thag I respect him.
Belfry’s system wins.

That said, there is no more boring QB job in the state than at Belfry. However, they get rings for calling plays so...
CowboyDad Wrote:Belfry’s system wins.

That said, there is no more boring QB job in the state than at Belfry. However, they get rings for calling plays so...

I don’t know....maybe I guess. Let me say this.....while it may not look it....Belfry’s offense is very intricate. The blocking schemes, the QB reads that are being made on almost every play. Boring ....yes I guess to some. Not a lot of passing....and this year....we really didn’t see Coleman keep it a lot But, honestly all that goes into processing and running the offense is ....well....anything but boring.
CowboyDad Wrote:Belfry’s system wins.

I wouldn’t classify playing QB on a triple option team “boring”. Two things you have to have to successfully run it is a great line and a smart QB. Probably 70% of the running plays are reads and when you do pass it’s usually for TD’s. Belfry just chooses not to pass.
Ran for nearly 3,000 in those wins too.
I may be old school but I will always be a run > pass guy. I know people like spectacular catches and a ball flung through the air but I'll take the run all day long.
So much goes into being a QB in a system like Belfry or Johnson Central runs. You’re making split second reads and decisions nearly every play. It’s like flying a spaceship through an asteroid belt. The good ones make it look easy. It ain’t easy.
Diogenes Wrote:So much goes into being a QB in a system like Belfry or Johnson Central runs. You’re making split second reads and decisions nearly every play. It’s like flying a spaceship through an asteroid belt. The good ones make it look easy. It ain’t easy.

Amen to that.
Just a testimony to how dominate they have been.
Obviously Belfry needs to pass more. In those 7 wins, they averaged 7 yards per catch and only 6.9 yards per carry rushing. Big Grin

Rushing
387 carries for 2651 yards
6.9 yards per carry
378.7 yards per game
26 touchdowns
1 TD for every 14.9 carries

Passing
2 for 13, 14 yards, 1 interception
7 yards per catch
2 yards per game
0 touchdowns