Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Class 5A Championship Covington Cath 14 Fredrick Douglas 7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final
5A Championship Congrats Cov Catholic
Michael Mayer is a man amongst boys.

Douglass is building a powerhouse. They’ll be back.
Congrats to Cov Cath. Thanks to 64SUR for updates
E's Army Wrote:Congrats to Cov Cath. Thanks to 64SUR for updates

Thanks 64Sur:flame:
Congrats Cov Cath. Frederick Douglas awfully good for a program that young.
Lexington football will go another season without a title.
Sounds like another great football game that was played today. I called this one, unlike the two earlier games. That makes my record 3-2 so far on championship weekend with one to go! 😂

Congratulations to Covington Catholic on winning the 5A State Championship. Also want to congratulate Frederick Douglas on an outstanding season. Nothing to hang your heads about. For a team this young they have already become a solid program. Again, congrats to all.
Michael Mayer is possibly the best HS football player I’ve seen in person. He’s a grown man.
Most kept ranking FD very low or lower than they should throughout the year. I kept saying they are tougher than what people realize. Cov cath is a solid team and FD hung right there with them.
FootballFan1999 Wrote:Michael Mayer is possibly the best HS football player I’ve seen in person. He’s a grown man.

Can't wait to see him suit up for my Irish next season!
FootballFan1999 Wrote:Michael Mayer is possibly the best HS football player I’ve seen in person. He’s a grown man.

Yes he is. That has to be what Gronk looked like in high school.
Was impressed by both defenses. Great games all day long
2000PHS Wrote:Yes he is. That has to be what Gronk looked like in high school.

We said the same thing. He body slammed Key. He juked a kid and jumped over another on the same play. Ran through some for a key first down. Was on almost every tackle. He’s unbelievably good.
That was a very good defensive effort from both exceptional teams. Congrats to the colonels on their 8th state championship. They are truly a great group of kids. This makes 4 state championships for coach Eviston’s relatively short career does it not? He and his staff have an amazing thing going.

I said it at the beginning of the season and I will reiterate again tonight.....BIG MIKE is hands down the best football player in the state. . If he doesn’t win mr football, the award means nothing. The kid is so much fun to watch. Absolutely the real deal.
I've been saying it since last year, Michael Mayer is something else. You just don't get players with his size and athleticism often, especially in Kentucky.
Mayer lays the wood. I think he is better on D than O. You could HEAR those hits. Just a specimen.
I had plans to watch this game but I just fizzled out. The games I DID watch yesterday were exhausting!!! LOL I'll probably go back and watch the replay because I do want to see Mayer play.

Great great day of football for the high school tournament.

Congratulations Covington Catholic!!!!
Woodsman Wrote:That was a very good defensive effort from both exceptional teams. Congrats to the colonels on their 8th state championship. They are truly a great group of kids. This makes 4 state championships for coach Eviston’s relatively short career does it not? He and his staff have an amazing thing going.

I said it at the beginning of the season and I will reiterate again tonight.....BIG MIKE is hands down the best football player in the state. . If he doesn’t win mr football, the award means nothing. The kid is so much fun to watch. Absolutely the real deal.
I had him ranked in my top 3 and got laughed at basically by a few. The kid is a difference maker and will be the states next Tamme! People want to always go back to stats, they aren’t everything. I still personally think it’s between him, Smith, and Allen. How the voters down this way and WKY will feel is something I don’t know? But all 3 are deserving of it.
Woodsman Wrote:That was a very good defensive effort from both exceptional teams. Congrats to the colonels on their 8th state championship. They are truly a great group of kids. This makes 4 state championships for coach Eviston’s relatively short career does it not? He and his staff have an amazing thing going.

I’ll back that statement now after getting the chance to watch him. He’s unreal.
Congratulations to Cov Cath. They just did what they had to do and got the job done.
Mayer is a grown man and did whatever he wanted to during this game. If he’s not Mr. Football they need to just do away with the award. He stands above the rest, high above.
Diogenes Wrote:Mayer lays the wood. I think he is better on D than O. You could HEAR those hits. Just a specimen.

That's hard to determine. Mayer is the central focus of the offense. He is either being targeted on a passing route, blocking at the point of attack, or just running the ball himself. He's phenomenal at each of those aspects. Not to mention, defenses can key on him and pretty much assume the ball is going where he is going....one way or another. Defense is a little easier for him because he's in the center of the field and the offense can't scheme away from him. Either way, the kid is a phenomenal person and a generational athlete. He's fun to watch and I think northern Kentucky will miss watching him do his thing.
I hadn’t seen Mayer play in person until yesterday. I thinks it’s only a couple years away from us watching him on Sundays. Definitely the best player in the state of KY.
fridaynightfights Wrote:Lexington football will go another season without a title.

Just curious what this has to do with anything?
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I hadn’t seen Mayer play in person until yesterday. I thinks it’s only a couple years away from us watching him on Sundays. Definitely the best player in the state of KY.

I’d never seen him either up until yesterday and I agree. He’s the best overall football player in the state.
congratulations
First time I have actually saw him and he is definitely unbelievable. One thing I can’t understand is why he didn’t get flagged for the leap over the defensive player when they flagged the young man for Pikeville? Probably because it only looked like a step for him. He is definitely a brute and I agree we will probably get to watch him on Sundays in a few years.
Patriot1 Wrote:First time I have actually saw him and he is definitely unbelievable. One thing I can’t understand is why he didn’t get flagged for the leap over the defensive player when they flagged the young man for Pikeville? Probably because it only looked like a step for him. He is definitely a brute and I agree we will probably get to watch him on Sundays in a few years.

That particular play was a touchdown, but the refs for some reason said he stepped out.
The refs didn't want to throw flags at all, which is somewhat understandable. I think Mayers body position and the defender being so low prevented a penalty. I know of several blatant holds and blocks to the back that were not called in the second half. The fouls were at the point of attack and greatly extended plays that would not have been very productive. Oh well, that's better than refs just flat out ruining the game
Pages: 1 2