Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Gridiron Teams lost to History (1944-Present W)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is the final post of the alphabetical list. I have one final post coming for a few teams I stumbled on in researching these posts.

Wallins Purple Devils (12??-1966) – It feels like it has been a little while since we’ve had a Harlan County Coal Mining town on the list (total sarcasm). Like many of these little coal towns, Wallins is just a shadow of its former self. Their first varsity football squad appears to have been in 1946 going 1-5-1. It took them only a year to turn it around, going 5-1-2 in 1947. They would finish the 40s strong but slipped back to their losing struggles by 1950s, those struggles continued until the school folded due to consolidation in 1966.

Warren County Dragons (1908-1968) – Also known as Rockfield and the original South Warren, its time as Warren County High started in 1908. The school closed in 1968 when it merged with Alvaton High to become Warren Central. The Dragons appear to have begun play in 1959, their first appearance in KHSAA win loss records in 1961 with a 3-6 record. The final season for the Dragons in 1967 was also their best going 6-5 with a 5th place finish in the district.

Wayland Wildcats/Wasps (1941-1972) – In 1972 Wayland merged with Maytown, Martin and Garrett to form Allen Central. Wayland may be most famous for producing the first ever Mr. Basketball in the state of Kentucky and National High School Player of the year (Kelly Coleman) who was rated above both Oscar Robertson and Jerry West. For a very brief period of time Wayland also took to the football field, in 1947 (0-7), 1948 (2-6-2) and 1949 (5-3-1) by 1950 Wayland appears to have been off the grid completely.

West Hardin Lakers (1962-1990) – West Hardin opened to students in the fall of 1962 and did not offer football at the school until Bernard Decker arrived in 1976 to launch the JV program. In 1977 the Lakers player a full varsity schedule for the first time going 3-9. Their best season would come in 1981, a 7-4 effort and a 3rd place district finish.

Westport War Hawks (1961-1981) - Westport suffered the 1981 Jefferson County Schools controversial vote to close four county schools that included Thomas Jefferson, Jesse Stuart and Durrett High Schools. (Fern Creek was also included in the original vote). They would take to the football field for the first time in 1963 and turned in a dismal 0-9 record, scoring only 14 points. It didn’t take long however for Westport to become competitive and by 1970 the school was challenging for a district title. They would capture the first in 1972 and their last in 1974, the 8-1-2 record in 1971 saw them win the district title and 2 playoff games before falling to St. X (48-14) in the AAA state title game for a final record of 10-2-2. It would be the last time Westport would have a winning team.

Wheelwright Trojans (19??-1992) – Wheelwright had its final football team in 1992 and in 1993 consolidated with McDowell into South Floyd. They fielded their first football team in 1940 and in that first season recorded a 100-0 win over a team from Vicco, KY. That big point spread was not a sign of good things to come as the Trojans would fold up the program until 1956 after the 1942 season. Finally, in 1970 Wheelwright would capture their one and only district title before falling in the first round of the Class A playoffs. They would remain competitive throughout the 70s and early 80s before sliding to the bottom of their district in 1983.

Whitesburg Yellow Jackets (1911-2005) – The first records I can find for Whitesburg football come from 1941, Whitesburg like many teams had several up and down years then in 1970s seemed to find a way to sustain success finishing top 3 in the district 27 out of the next 32 years. Winning 8 district crowns, and two regional titles. Their best season came in 1994 when they went 9-1 before making a playoff run that ended in the State Semifinals, to eventual state champion Danville. That season included a double OT win over Sheldon Clark in the second round of the playoffs and an upset of undefeated Russel to win the region title.

Winchester Shawnees (18??-1962) – The roots of Winchester high trace back to before 1882, the first mention of Shawnee football I can find is from 1928 and they appear to have played until 1959. I haven’t compiled records for Winchester yet but in 1947 they lost only one game and finished second in the CKC, in 1958 they finished 6-2-1. In 1963 Winchester merged with Clark County to become George Rogers Clark, GRC would continue on as a continuation of Clark County.

Wurtland Warriors (???-1973) – From 1931 – 1972 Wurtland competed on the gridiron before merged with McKell and Greenup to form Greenup County High. Their history is one of struggle, as the Warriors never won more than 4 games in a single season until their final year of 1972, going 6-4-1. They recorded a verifiable 73-200-10 record for just barely a .28% win rate.
I never knew Wurtland had a football team. Do you know where they played their home games? There was no football field at the old high school from what I could tell.
Jarons Wrote:I never knew Wurtland had a football team. Do you know where they played their home games? There was no football field at the old high school from what I could tell.

I’ll have to look, all my info is on my work computer.
I'm not sure where they played their games at, haven't been able to find info on their playing surface other than a 1965 game photo that doesn't have any identifying marks. If I stumble on it I will share.

Interestingly they played a game with Raceland on October 19, 1956, that had a special rule, Raceland was not allowed to run the ball two plays in row, they were also not allowed to punt.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:I'm not sure where they played their games at, haven't been able to find info on their playing surface other than a 1965 game photo that doesn't have any identifying marks. If I stumble on it I will share.

Interestingly they played a game with Raceland on October 19, 1956, that had a special rule, Raceland was not allowed to run the ball two plays in row, they were also not allowed to punt.

That is a really cool story about that game with Raceland. I had never heard that.
Looking at old yearbook pictures last night online, I think I figured out where the field was. I think the field was to the right of the school if you are facing the front of the building from Old 23. That area is a neighborhood now which would be the reason I never saw any signs of the old football field when I was growing up.
Jarons Wrote:I never knew Wurtland had a football team. Do you know where they played their home games? There was no football field at the old high school from what I could tell.

I believe the field was right behind the old high school. I remember playing a peewee game there in 1966 or 67. It was before the Russell JFL. We were the only Flatwoods team. We lost 6-0. It was our only loss of the yr.