Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hazard 80 Martin County 63
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Nice win for Hazard. Martin County gets humbled early in season.
Would like to see the Foul totals in this one, I know Hazard was only called for 4 in the 2nd Half.
Typical reply. Blaming refs already in the first game of your season. Smh. The defense of Martin County was horrible, sloppy and honestly hideous. No wonder they had so many fouls. Disappointed in their performance, was expecting a lot more from the big guy and overall performance of the team. To have such a big man, they depending on mostly guards. They can make their three’s though. Props for their 3 point shooting, long range very good. Big man did have a great shot on the free throw line. Down low though, wasn’t impressed for a player that has a Wake Forest offer. Attitude from him was definitely a negative for any college looking into him. Needs to work on that! Again, his free throw shot was top notch! And the teams three point shot was on point.
District play in the 57th will be interesting with that effort by the Cards. Although the 14th is a tough atmosphere to play in for anyone especially opening game.
basketballx2 Wrote:Typical reply. Blaming refs already in the first game of your season. Smh. The defense of Martin County was horrible, sloppy and honestly hideous. No wonder they had so many fouls. Disappointed in their performance, was expecting a lot more from the big guy and overall performance of the team. To have such a big man, they depending on mostly guards. They can make their three’s though. Props for their 3 point shooting, long range very good. Big man did have a great shot on the free throw line. Down low though, wasn’t impressed for a player that has a Wake Forest offer. Attitude from him was definitely a negative for any college looking into him. Needs to work on that! Again, his free throw shot was top notch! And the teams three point shot was on point.
Fouls in the 2nd half was 10+ to 4 so it’s not a typical reply.
It’s typical for ever team that has lost to blame the refs. This is why kids today never take responsibility for their actions. It’s always someone else’s fault. Martin Lost. Game over.
basketballx2 Wrote:It’s typical for ever team that has lost to blame the refs. This is why kids today never take responsibility for their actions. It’s always someone else’s fault. Martin Lost. Game over.

amen to that. That is absolutely the truth. Control what you can. Take responsibility for sloppy play and improve.
Congrats to Hazard they played well and won this one, however one game doesn’t define any teams future success or potential, it’s only a learning experience.

All games in the 57th district are exciting with teams like Johnson Central, Martin County, Paintsville and Magoffin County going at it year after year.

I always find it interesting how some fans like to criticize Trey James performance in a game, but he is only a junior this year and has already been on more major D1 school vists than you can count on two hands and has received several offers including one from Wake Forest, which I think is pretty good.
^ I'll say this... you can about guarantee Trey James isn't being looked at for his play at Martin County HS. College coaches aren't coming to Martin Co to watch the kid, they are looking at his play on the AAU circuit... a whole different world out there in all sports at the AAU/Club level. Kids look totally different with that level of players surrounding them.
please don't hate on me for this question as i have never seen this kid play or know nothing of him. if you can point me to any video i would like to see it.

Now you say they are coming based on AAU and not Martin Co I have this. I realize AAU is AAU and personally I don't like AAU. I think the HS level is team play. So I ask this. Whats the difference for him? An outsider like me can read this and assume your saying that he won't play hard for his current team mates as he does for AAU? I don't want to believe that is true. Can you elaborate so I can have a better picture of him
cadets1988 Wrote:please don't hate on me for this question as i have never seen this kid play or know nothing of him. if you can point me to any video i would like to see it.

Now you say they are coming based on AAU and not Martin Co I have this. I realize AAU is AAU and personally I don't like AAU. I think the HS level is team play. So I ask this. Whats the difference for him? An outsider like me can read this and assume your saying that he won't play hard for his current team mates as he does for AAU? I don't want to believe that is true. Can you elaborate so I can have a better picture of him

My point is, the caliber of players on the AAU circuit is greater than that of the local HS, especially in the 15th/16th region. The days of college coaches coming out to local HS games are long gone, especially at the DI level. Not sure how you got ANY of that from my message.

He plays for Meanstreets AAU (High Level AAU team):
Ok so i went and found this.

After watching it I can see why scouts like him. I can also see a glaring weakness which he will have to work on at the next level. On the low block it appears as though that first step is really slow. He will have to work on that. I also question how he is going to play next to guys his size and larger.

I see alot of potential. A little shocked that Wake would make a offer. At first look, and only first look he just doesn't strike me as a ACC player.
I see alot of potential after watching this one.

If i were coaching against him I would force him right and I would have my guards attack him. He has a bad tendency on rebounds to bring that ball low, which now makes him 5'8. Keep that ball high and I see many things for him. I would love to coach a big kid like this. If he has the work ethic and desire, that and along with the weight room has has a great deal of raw potential.
Hazard out rebounded MC 31-12. Wow.
Hazard
28 Total Field Goals Made (2pt and 3pt)
54 Total Field Goals Attempted (2pt and 3pt)
51.9% Total Field Goal %
6 Total 3-Point Field Goals Made
14 Total 3-Point Field Goals Attempted
42.9% Total 3-Point Field Goal %
18 Total Free Throws Made
24 Total Free Throws Attempted
75.0% Total Free Throw %
31 Total Rebounds

Martin County

22 Total Field Goals Made (2pt and 3pt)
44 Total Field Goals Attempted (2pt and 3pt)
50.0% Total Field Goal %
7 Total 3-Point Field Goals Made
18 Total 3-Point Field Goals Attempted
38.9% Total 3-Point Field Goal %
12 Total Free Throws Made
15 Total Free Throws Attempted
80.0% Total Free Throw %
12 Total Rebounds
How is that possible to get out rebounded by 20 when you have a kid as big as Trey James?
well if you watch him on video he isn't exactly quick. If you coach blocking out 101 its fundamental that you can box him out far enough away and make him irrelevant. Thats what those numbers say. But i would like to hear from someone that was there to tell me if i am right in that or not
Creeker Wrote:^ I'll say this... you can about guarantee Trey James isn't being looked at for his play at Martin County HS. College coaches aren't coming to Martin Co to watch the kid, they are looking at his play on the AAU circuit... a whole different world out there in all sports at the AAU/Club level. Kids look totally different with that level of players surrounding them.

I'm confused by this. So he can impress coaches and play well enough for offers against elite talent in AAU, but can't dominate in high school ball against 6'2" centers? Not knocking the kid or saying he can't play, but I'm trying to understand the logic. Are you saying he doesn't try as hard, or doesn't care while playing high school games because coaches aren't watching?
Jaguarhoundbird Wrote:I'm confused by this. So he can impress coaches and play well enough for offers against elite talent in AAU, but can't dominate in high school ball against 6'2" centers? Not knocking the kid or saying he can't play, but I'm trying to understand the logic. Are you saying he doesn't try as hard, or doesn't care while playing high school games because coaches aren't watching?
Not at all what I am saying...
[quote=Mister D]How is that possible to get out rebounded by 20 when you have a kid as big as Trey James?[/QUO

Well old shinny head blew that whistle enough times the first few minutes of the game so as to take certain kids out of the game and it worked snicker:Confusednicker

:Cheerlead:Cheerlead:Cheerlead Go Shinny Head :Cheerlead:Cheerlead
How did Dingess and Pelfrey look?
I think Martin County will be fine, they've added a lot of talent to the roster this season and will take a few game before they start playing to their potential. I am concerned with their defense effort and rebounding. its going to be interesting to see what changes are made.
Hazard is the best team in the 14 in my opinion.
Hazard is for sure the best team in the 14th when they play out of region teams at home. Bryan Station go the welcome mat put out for them yesterday. I there was several T’s called and a ton of questionable at best calls in Hazards favor. Not at all saying Hazard isn’t good, but Big Al knows how to “prepare” for out of region teams.
basketballx2 Wrote:Typical reply. Blaming refs already in the first game of your season. Smh. The defense of Martin County was horrible, sloppy and honestly hideous. No wonder they had so many fouls. Disappointed in their performance, was expecting a lot more from the big guy and overall performance of the team. To have such a big man, they depending on mostly guards. They can make their three’s though. Props for their 3 point shooting, long range very good. Big man did have a great shot on the free throw line. Down low though, wasn’t impressed for a player that has a Wake Forest offer. Attitude from him was definitely a negative for any college looking into him. Needs to work on that! Again, his free throw shot was top notch! And the teams three point shot was on point.

Martin Co’s Center is a great young man but as a big man he’s.... TALL. Which is impossible to teach. He is a pretty solid rebounder and causes players adjust shot but just doesn’t quite have the speed and footwork just yet. He has some time so hopefully it’ll get there. Their point guard is quick and handles the ball very well. Got to watch him for Paintsville last year. IMO He’s not what you would call a scorer that’s going to get you 16-18pts consistently but he sees the floor well and can run the offense well. They do have a couple of guys that can flat shoot though. Hazard is just a very well balanced team and at this point of the season may not be good for the teams in their region.
Blue_Bird96 Wrote:Martin Co’s Center is a great young man but as a big man he’s.... TALL. Which is impossible to teach. He is a pretty solid rebounder and causes players adjust shot but just doesn’t quite have the speed and footwork just yet. He has some time so hopefully it’ll get there. Their point guard is quick and handles the ball very well. Got to watch him for Paintsville last year. IMO He’s not what you would call a scorer that’s going to get you 16-18pts consistently but he sees the floor well and can run the offense well. They do have a couple of guys that can flat shoot though. Hazard is just a very well balanced team and at this point of the season may not be good for the teams in their region.
Last year Dingess averaged 9 points a game, so far with Martin County he has had close to 20 points every game. Sounds to me like that is pretty consistent.
Brady Dingess never got the “Green Light” last year to play his game. Brady can lead his team, set plays for his teammates to score and still drop 15 to 20 a game, but he has the Green Light now and he is just getting warmed up.

There are a lot of coaches that think Trey James is pretty good, granted coaches from schools like Alice Lloyd haven’t come to Inez to watch him however coaches from Wake Forrest and EKU have. There are a lot of good players in the mountains now but what coaches or schools are looking at them???
There have been a few players in the past that worked hard and got a chance to play at the next level, but how did they do? Did they make it for 4 years at the same school? Did they play or sit the bench then quit?

The Cards will be fine this year, the first game that really matters is the first game of the district tournament... lol and the others are just foreplay for these Angry Birds from Inez
The T’s should have been called. Don’t act like a thug.
The actions that received the T’s might have deserved it. Please don’t act like the strips wasn’t calling for Hazard all night and especially when it mattered. The coach from the visiting school can only take so much.
I think it boils down to this... Teams not from Eastern Kentucky aren’t use to playing physical. When you go to state tournament, the teams play more physical, the refs allow it. Refs in eastern Kentucky don’t. I think Bryan Station is use to playing without “picky calls” whereas Hazard would feel the refs was letting it be “out of control” if Hazard was playing at Bryan Station. The t’s deserved to be called. But I think overall, both teams are use to a different way of playing and being allowed to play therefore they think they are cheated when they come to a different part of the state in which they originate and the calls aren’t the same. Ball is played different in eastern Kentucky and Lexington area. Hence, is why eastern Kentucky teams don’t compete good at the state tournament level.
Pages: 1 2