Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Magoffin County - "Whitest County in America"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As reported by the Lexington Herald Leader:
According to a new study from the U.S. Census Bureau, Magoffin County in Eastern Kentucky ties with Mitchell County, Iowa, as the whitest county in the United States. The population there is 98.9 percent non-Hispanic white. A number of other Kentucky counties have white populations above 90 percent.

The study came out as the result of Census studies of rising Hispanic population in the U.S.

http://www.kentucky.com/211/story/145384.html
seriously that statistic dont suprise me and thats kinda sad
I just wanted to say I loved the article because it shows how bad Magoffin really is, although one official claimed it wasnt as bad as it seems. Hes so full of crap too. I have lived here for 25 of my 27 years of my life and I know things are not like he says they are.
When he says that no one starves if others have food, thats crap, neighbors dont help neighbors as much as he says. Also, the part about people coming here to work would be welcomed with open arms, yeah right. Hard to do that when there arent any jobs here besides restaurants and gas stations where u make the minimum. The only jobs that do pay well are hard to get into, unless of course you know someone who knows someone who slept with this one or that one, thats about the only way you get in to those jobs. Actually thats about the only way you can get any job around here. The only place that isnt like that is the call center in town, and the only reason its so easy to get in there is because they cant keep workers because most of the people they hire are either drugheads or drunks and they end up having to let them go as soon as they hire them. I wish other people that had to suffer with living here would have the guts to say what im saying now but they dont. They are all blinded to the truth because they buy all the bull that is spouted about around election time. Face it people, Magoffin County is never going to change. The topic of race interested me as well, because I have only seen maybe 2-3 african americans in this county, one which I went to school with and Im not real sure if they even still live around here. The only other race I have seen around here are Mexican and they are the ones that own the Mi Finca restaurant, and I have not seen anymore than that. I applaud the Lexington Herald Leader for doing this, exposing what magoffin co is really about. Its a white dominated area and always will be as long as the people that run the county continue to do the things they do, and there will never be any jobs here because these elected officials wont allow anyone to make money besides themselves. I remember about 10 years ago, or maybe longer than that, this county had a chance to bring in a WalMart, but do they do it, no, they come up with some lame excuse to turn it down. There is plenty of land around here to have factories and other kinds of jobs for people, but like I said, as long as the rich, land owning people continue to run this place, it will be no more than what it is now. A place filled with crooks, drugheads, drunks, and outlaws, and thats only the county officials side of the spectrum, which in my opinion is the worst of all. We have a pretty decent sheriff here that busts his butt do go out and hunt down all the drug dealers and so on and so forth, but with the legal system instilled in this county, they usually only are in jail for about a night or so then come court time, they are released back into society. Thats about all I can think of for now, but im sure there is more, I just dont feel like sitting here and going through it all. Again, congratulations to the Lexington Herald Leader for the article on Magoofin, im sorry, I mean Magoffin County, one of the two whitest and sorriest places in the nation.
I know I started a thread on this in the general discussion threads, that was an accident, I didnt know that there was one in this part of the site until I went to it, so I screwed up, hope it doesnt cause any confusion.
some of that info is misleading because half of the mexicans here are illegal so what does that tell you
The variables are not in context. We as Eastern Kentuckians usually marry locally, through generation after generation of that and no new factories or big buisnesses opening, then how in the hell do the "Yankees" expect us to intergrate?
If you don't like it LEAVE!!
Not shocked at all! Alot of counties in this area probably rank in the top 50 in the US!
If anyone is interested in Poverty, Race, and Population here is a site that will provide all that information. Very interesting things.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/SAF...&pctxt=fph
I had a guy from clay county in my minority group politics class say that he had seen the kkk actually do marches in clay county.
maxhornet Wrote:If you don't like it LEAVE!!

I lived in magoffin for quiet awhile myself and things there are bad but hornet is right if you don't like it leave. Magoffin is still a close knit family community. The Drugs is what has ruined Magoffin.

If you want a job you have to work hard to get it, Go to College get you a degree and go teach at the local schools to help change the bleak MC future.

If you want change, You need to be a Leader. Stop Crying about how bad things are and do something about it.:mad: