Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Gridiron Teams lost to History (1944-Present E-G)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As a reminder all schools I have been posting are shcools that fielded an 11 man KHSAA sanctioned team between 1944 and today that no longer exist or field teams.

East Hardin Rebels (1963-1990) – Originally known as Glendale High school, East Hardin was opened in 1962-63 to replace the old school. The Rebels would not field a football team until a decade later. In 1973 the newly fielded Rebels would go 8-3 finishing 5th in their District of 14 teams. Their firs 5 years were successful going 8-3, 7-4, 6-5, 5-6, and 8-3 respectively. Things looked bright for the growing school, but by 1983 the team had moved from 2A to 3A and struggled going 1-11, 1-9, 1-9, 3-7, 1-9 and 3-8. In 1985 things changed as the team went 10-1 and between 1985 and 1989, they would win 3 district crowns. Including a regional title in their 1989 farewell campaign. After an 11-0 regular season East Hardin would leave Paducah Tilghman with a 21-7 loss. In 1990 East and West Hardin would consolidate to form Central Hardin. Like many of these schools the high school was repurposed as a middle school.

Elkhorn City Cougars – (195?-2001) – While the building the housed the Cougars of Elkhorn City has been restored and repurposed as apartment buildings, once football players roamed those halls. The first records I can find for Elkhorn City are from 1948, when they reported a 1-5 record. The early years were lean, winning was scarce. All that changed in 1962 when the Cougars went 6-4, by 1964 they were State Champions. They would finish as runners up in 1975. While the success of the team fluctuated starting in 1962, more years than not they were a formidable foe on the gridiron until the end of the 1980s. As that decade came to an end so it seemed did the on-field prominence of Elkhorn City football. From 1990 until it’s closing in 2001 the Cougars would only field 3 winning teams and would not capture another district title. The school consolidated in 2002 with Millard and Feds Creek to become East Ridge. Here is a 1991 game between Elkhorn and Fleming-Neon (also lost to history)

Evangel Eagles (Present) – Evangel Christian School was founded in Louisville in 1970 (I think). Twice the school has attempted to field teams in KHSAA 11-man football. The first time was 1976 and 1977, the Eagles went 2-18 their first run. They returned in 2002 and things were not much better the second going 3-53 between 2002 and 2008. The Eagles spent most of their time outside of district play except for 76, 77 and 02. Over the years they have also competed in conferences outside of the KHSAA in 8-man football and other layouts.

Falmouth (1925-1968) - It’s hard to find much information on the Pendelton County school that shut it doors in the late 60s. In April 1968 Tornados hit Falmouth, KY and the high school was used as a refuge center for ~700 homeless citizens, a month or so later the school graduated its final class, I am unsure if the tornado was to blame. The school fielded teams from ’64-’67 but failed to gain much success. Their 1966 effort resulted in an 0-8-1 record and the team scored only 13 points.

Flaget Braves (1942-1974) – Pronounced (Fla-)a catholic all boys prep-school in Louisville might be considered the original Louisville powerhouse. With names like Paul Hornung, Howard Schnellenberger and later Darryl Drake once gracing its halls they are credited with 6 State Titles (one the only tie in State Title history with Thomas Jefferson in 1967). 3 of them in the playoff era. They would also finish as runner up in 1965. Short documentary on Flaget can be watched here https://www.pbs.org/video/ket-documentar...rit-lives/

Franklin-Lincoln Pirates? (1929-1965) – Another of the segregated schools to close up shop in the 1960s, what would become Lincoln started in 1870 but it wasn’t until 1929 that African Americans could receive a 4-year high school education in Franklin. The Pirates posted 3 winning seasons during their four years (61-64) of KHSAA play.

Fleming-Neon Pirates (1925-2005) – The Pirates purple and gold were a staple of High School Football in eastern Kentucky for nearly 80 years. Fleming-Neon would win 4 district titles and 1 regional title in the playoff era. They would be the victim of consolidation in 2005 to become part of Letcher County Central. Here are highlights from their 8-2 1991 District championship season.

Gamaliel Tigers (1936?-1985) – Prior to 1971 Gamaliel appears to have fielded teams in 8-man football. Like many teams to try to transition from 8-man to 11-man football the Tigers struggled in their 14 seasons of KHSAA 11 man football, never posting a winning record and going winless four times, in 1985 the little School would be gone and in its place the newly opened Monroe County High School.

Georgetown Buffaloes (1955-1975) – The school existed in one form or another starting in 1924. In 1955 a new building appears to have been built and that is what is considered the last iteration of Georgetown High School. The Buffaloes are credited with the 1924 state championship in football. In the playoff era Georgetown found itself saddled in deep in large districts, in 1962 they finished 19th in a 19-team district. The last four years the school finally found some sustained success with three winning seasons. In 1975 the high school converted to a middle school and the high school students merged with Scott County High School.

Greensburg Dragons (1907-1973) – Greensburg existed for nearly 50 years before they fielded a football team. In 1962 Ivan Curnutte, former UK halfback became the first head coach of a Greensburg Football team, the dragons went 1-5-2 that season and things never got much better. Posting only one winning season in 1971 the Dragons like many small schools were stuck in deep districts of a very dense 1A classification. In 1973 the school closed and was replaced by Green County High School.

Greenville Cougars? (1910-1990) – Greenville can be credited as the school the brought football back to Muhlenberg County in 1980. The school and several others in the county had football programs in the 20s and 30s but stopped football due to an in-game injury in the 1930s. Greenville returned to the Gridiron in 1980. I’ve got conflicting info on whether the team was called the Cougars or the Black Hawks (name of current elementary school team). Greenville only played district opponents 3 of the 10 years it was active in KHSAA competition. In 1987 and 88 they went 20-2 outside District play. In 1990 the school was consolidated with 4 others into Muhlenberg South.
Great information and history! Very interesting, especially Flaget. Thanks.
Just noticed I cut off the pronunciation for Flaget in the original post, it should be pronounced kind of like 'beret' making the get at the word sound something like 'szay' instead of the sound 'get' we think of.
Yes it's FLĀ-SZAY

I also have a majority of football history on Elkhorn City
I can remember playing JV games at Fleming Neon in late 90s. What a unique place. Probably hardest field I ever played on it was like concrete getting tackled on that field.
I've got an interesting story on Gamaliel. My cousin played against them at Gamaliel one year. He was standing in the offensive huddle when a Gamaliel player came from behind him and took out his knee out. There was no penalty called and nobody was ejected. After the game the parents and fans stormed the field and closed the gate so the bus couldn't leave. The bus driver had to drive through the gate to get out. My cousin told me he received a letter from the mayor of the little town apologizing for the players actions that injured him. I couldn't imagine what that was like, but it does make for a good story to share!
Rip/Spin Wrote:I've got an interesting story on Gamaliel. My cousin played against them at Gamaliel one year. He was standing in the offensive huddle when a Gamaliel player came from behind him and took out his knee out. There was no penalty called and nobody was ejected. After the game the parents and fans stormed the field and closed the gate so the bus couldn't leave. The bus driver had to drive through the gate to get out. My cousin told me he received a letter from the mayor of the little town apologizing for the players actions that injured him. I couldn't imagine what that was like, but it does make for a good story to share!

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing. This is exactly the type of conversation these little posts are meant to invoke.
When I was younger I use to think Fleming neon was the coolest school name ever, no idea why? Haha
Hound05 Wrote:When I was younger I use to think Fleming neon was the coolest school name ever, no idea why? Haha

I understand I used to hear Fleming-Neon Pirates and Polka Dots (WV) on WYMT and WSAZ and always thought they were such cool names lol.
Great threads and very interesting stories. However, you didn't include Greenup High School. It closed in either 73 or 74. I have heard that they fielded a few football teams.
Rip/Spin Wrote:I've got an interesting story on Gamaliel. My cousin played against them at Gamaliel one year. He was standing in the offensive huddle when a Gamaliel player came from behind him and took out his knee out. There was no penalty called and nobody was ejected. After the game the parents and fans stormed the field and closed the gate so the bus couldn't leave. The bus driver had to drive through the gate to get out. My cousin told me he received a letter from the mayor of the little town apologizing for the players actions that injured him. I couldn't imagine what that was like, but it does make for a good story to share!

WoW! I think I would have been terrified
Jarons Wrote:Great threads and very interesting stories. However, you didn't include Greenup High School. It closed in either 73 or 74. I have heard that they fielded a few football teams.

I’ve stumbled on Wurtland and McKell but haven’t seen anything for Greenup High yet
AtlPirateFan Wrote:I’ve stumbled on Wurtland and McKell but haven’t seen anything for Greenup High yet

I recall reading something somewhere about Greenup High School football. I cannot remember what or where. It was just a handful of seasons, maybe five or less. Slight possibility they had a team when my dad was there in the early 50's.
Evarts High School in Harlan County is one of the three high schools that consolidated to make Harlan County High School in 2008.

I’ve really enjoyed reading these!
Mama Bear Wrote:Evarts High School in Harlan County is one of the three high schools that consolidated to make Harlan County High School in 2008.

I’ve really enjoyed reading these!

Evarts was on my list, not sure how I missed them, :-(
AtlPirateFan Wrote:I’ve stumbled on Wurtland and McKell but haven’t seen anything for Greenup High yet

I found some Greenup High School yearbooks online. I found football teams in 1934 and 1953. Neither yearbook had any records for either season.
Jarons Wrote:I found some Greenup High School yearbooks online. I found football teams in 1934 and 1953. Neither yearbook had any records for either season.

Greenup information is int he final post http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...p?t=259202