Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Gridiron Teams lost to History (1944-Present C-D)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The next batch of teams lost to history

C.D Robinson (Present) – Located in Lancaster, KY Camp Dick Robinson is now an Elementary school, students now attend Garrard County High School. Robinsons lone season in 11 man football took place in 1963, prior to that and most likely after they competed in 8 man football. Not a lot of information can be found on CD Robinsons days of fielding an 11-man team.

Carlisle County Comets (Present) – The Comets appear to have fielded 11 man football teams until 1961. Not much can be found about their days on the gridiron.

Carrollton (-1964?) – Located in Carroll County, Carrollton High fielded teams in 1961, 1963 and 1964. Prior to 1961 Carrollton had not had a football team since 1946, when they only reported a 2-2 record. Someone else may have a clearer history on this but it appears that in 1964 or ’65 Dow came into Carrollton and was pushing for new or merged schools. Carroll County reports their first football standings in 1965. I am unsure if Carroll Co. is a direct continuation of Carrollton or a new school completely.

Catlettsburg(-1974) – Fielding their final team in 1973, the Wildcats were part of the Catlettsburg Independent school system, the school was also known as Thomas R. Brown High School. The school had a long history and while they only beat them three times a rivalry with Ashland. There is some records showing them as 1939 Eastern Kentucky Champs. In 1974 Catlettsburg School system merger with Boyd County Schools. 1971 Game Film here

Cawood Trojans (1966-2007) – James A. Cawood High School was named after the Harlan County superintendent fielded their first football team in 1966. Built to deal with several issues (closing of Black Star, travel times to schools, etc) Cawood had been in the works since at least 1960. The first 10 years of Trojan football was fairly mediocre. That all changed in 1975 when they would win their first District title and their only region title. They would win 7 more district titles by 1986 going 10-0 in ’81 and 9-0 in ’85. The school fielded a few competitive teams after 1986 but nothing like the success of the previous 10 years. They would never again taste regional success winning only 4 more playoff games by the time the school merged with several others to become Harlan County High after the 2007 season.

Cumberland (1930s-2007) – Built in the 1930s Cumberland was home to the Redskins for over 60 years. From 1980-1987 Cumberland was one of the best teams in 1A football, winning 7 District titles and finishing as runners-up in 1982, 1983 and 1986. After 1986 Cumberland remained completive on the field and made several runs to regional title games, only to fall short of that mid-80s success. They would join Cawood and Evarts to become Harlan County.

Cumberland County (Present) – The Panthers of Cumberland County are another team that seems to have been lost due to school size. From 1964-1974 Cumberland County took to the gridiron. The teams only real success came in 1971 finishing 4th in District play. Cumberland County still participates in other High School athletics but a pigskin hasn’t been seen since 1974.

Cynthiana (18??-1962? ) – Cynthiana played their final season of football in 1961, in 1962 Cynthiana appears to have merged with Harrison County. This merger allowed Harrison County to begin football in 1962. Former UK Basketball Coach Joe Hall lettered in Football and Basketball at Cynthiana High School

Danville Bate Bulldogs (1912-1964) – John W. Bate High School was another Black High School prior to 1961 they competed in the Kentucky High School Athletic League with other segregated schools you will see on this list. During a 2017 game against Garrard Co the Danville Admirals wore commemorative throwbacks in honor of Bate High. In 2019 they once again donned the purple and gold in honor of the Bulldogs.

Dilce Combs Panthers (-1994) – Going 2-7-1 in 1961 the Panthers stopped fielding a football team. The school would continue playing basketball until it eventually merged with M.C. Napier to form Perry County Central. Some say lack of space for a field prevented Combs from taking to the gridiron but it appears from the record books that there were a few times that they tried.

Douglass Bisons (1932-1965) – Known by its full name Henderson Douglass they were another segregated school on the list. Henderson Douglass competed in statewide competition from 61-63. However, in the KHSAL prior to 1960 they were considered a powerhouse from 1949-1959. That success didn’t continue as more and more schools integrated the segregated black schools on field success in KHSAA play was limited. Douglass went 6-2-1 in 1962. The school closed its doors for good in 1966

Lexington Dunbar Bearcats (1923-1967) – The original Lexington Dunbar high school was also one of the segregated black schools. Dunbar would field teams from 1961-1966 in KHSAA, but like most of the schools from the KHSAL, they would close their doors before the 60s ended. (interesting personal note for Belfry fans, the Pirates had a home an away series against Dunbar in ’61 and ’62)

Durrett Demons (1950s-1981) – or Sallie P. Durrett High School as it was officially named. Shutdown in 1981 to save the Jefferson County school district money, the school was retrofitted to become educational offices. In 1991 Male High School moved to the former site of Durrett High School. Durrett competed with the rest of the Jefferson County schools until the day it closed to students. In 1979 the Demons won their only District Championship they would fall to Ballard 24-0 in the first round of the 4A playoffs.
There was a Dunbar High School in Mayfield, anything on them? They were a all black school that was closed sending their students to become part of Mayfield. I have no idea if they played football or not.

Danville wearing the their Dunbar uniforms is pretty cool
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:There was a Dunbar High School in Mayfield, anything on them? They were a all black school that was closed sending their students to become part of Mayfield. I have no idea if they played football or not.

Somerset also had a segregated Dunbar High School.
I haven't run across either the Mayfield or Somerset Dunbar schools yet, that I know of. But will keep my eye out for them,
post the rest of them
:Thumbs:
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:There was a Dunbar High School in Mayfield, anything on them? They were a all black school that was closed sending their students to become part of Mayfield. I have no idea if they played football or not.

:Thumbs: "Bate" was the school that Danville honored. :Thumbs:
Real Badman Wrote:post the rest of them

I am working through them, there are a ton so I have tried to do them in 10-15 team posts, working on E-G right now. Once I have them all posted I will post and index posts for them.
Hatz Wrote::Thumbs:

:Thumbs: "Bate" was the school that Danville honored. :Thumbs:

Thanks, I guess I had the similar Dunbar on my mind while typing
AtlPirateFan Wrote:I haven't run across either the Mayfield or Somerset Dunbar schools yet, that I know of. But will keep my eye out for them,

Here's a little info I found on Somerset Dunbar:

https://www.somerset-kentucky.com/news/d...8ae71.html
If all of the Harlan county schools would have consolidated in the 80's they would have been a very serious contender for a state championship in 3a thats probably where they would have played with the 4 class system. Even into the early 90's they would have been a player in 3a.
Dubois High School Mt. Sterling, Ky. Closed (burned) in 1964.
Tica Wrote:Dubois High School Mt. Sterling, Ky. Closed (burned) in 1964.

I’ve got them in the Ms with Mt Sterling
Footballcrazyman Wrote:If all of the Harlan county schools would have consolidated in the 80's they would have been a very serious contender for a state championship in 3a thats probably where they would have played with the 4 class system. Even into the early 90's they would have been a player in 3a.

I agree they would have been very good from the mid 70s to the mid 90s. I'd expect they would have been 4A though - Cawood with 1,000 students and Cumberland and Evarts with 500 each.
Played over at Cawood once in late 90s. Loved that place. It was a good atmosphere and loved the horse and rider coming into field.
Love this series . Great work man
CORRECTION: Henderson Douglass - I missed that the Bisons actually lost the 1A state title in 1959 to Lynch East (40-0) in my original research on them.
If Carlisle County ever had a football team, it is news to me?
blue55 Wrote:If Carlisle County ever had a football team, it is news to me?

You are correct I found this late last night while digging.

CORRECTION: Carlisle County should actually be Carlisle Musketeers from Carlisle, Kentucky. I had to dig deep for information on them, and it's pretty interesting. According to this twitter thread https://twitter.com/kyhshistory/status/9...6211061760 the Musketeers were the first team in the KHSAA to allow black players on their team. On Sept 9, 1955, Gayle and Ronnie Wilson suited up for the Musketeers in a 19-0 victory over Paris. An unknown Carlisle player is attributed to saying "Well, Coach, we don't care about the color of their skin as long as their jerseys are green."

The KHSAA would allow the all-black schools to compete in KHSAA play a year or so later.
blue55 Wrote:If Carlisle County ever had a football team, it is news to me?

They never have and they are still open