Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Count down to 900
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As of this week the Mayfield Cardinals have 898 all time wins. With a strong possibility of a win Friday it would set in motion a Thanksgiving game for that 900Th win making Thanksgiving even more thankful for the Cardinals. This is rare air the Cards are in as there are only 3 other high school football programs that have ever won 900 and 2 of those achieved the feat this year. The Morris family of dad Jack (253 wins) and current head coach Joe (250 wins) have led the Cardinals to just over 500 of the Cardinals wins.

All Time Wins:

1. Valdosta GA 926 wins
2. Louisville Male (The state of KY's winningest program)
3. Highlands (The state of KY's 2nd winningest program with 901 wins)
4. Mayfield (898 wins and still playing. If Mayfield should win out they will be tied with Highlands
5. Washington Massillon OH is just 1 win behind Mayfield at 897
According to the radio crew the win over Murray friday was the 900th win
Maybe uall can get some mythical wins like corbin did with state titles
killbilly usmc Wrote:According to the radio crew the win over Murray friday was the 900th win

You can look it up on NAtional Federation or MAx has article. I spoke with radio and was told Lanny Lancaster, official stat guy since 1976ish, told them that was 900 by his records. Seems we may have got a forfeit over Hoptown in game they actually won for using ineligible player. The one who went on to play in NFL. Officially we are at 898 after Fri but if someone claimed that win and another one somewhere we would be at 900. Anyway that was how it was explained to me
2face Wrote:Maybe uall can get some mythical wins like corbin did with state titles

He just can’t help it folks. 😂😂😂
Maybe if they didn’t play in a middle school district it be a little lower.....

I’m just messing with mayfield fans haha. I figured someone would probably bring up some BS like that. I have the upmost respect for MF. They aren’t afraid to play anyone and a majority of those wins aren’t “padded”. Their accomplishments are something everyone in Kentucky could be proud of. You never hear of anything unbecoming of them or their students, it’s just a great program. Hope to see them get to 900!!
Hound05 Wrote:Maybe if they didn’t play in a middle school district it be a little lower.....

I’m just messing with mayfield fans haha. I figured someone would probably bring up some BS like that. I have the upmost respect for MF. They aren’t afraid to play anyone and a majority of those wins aren’t “padded”. Their accomplishments are something everyone in Kentucky could be proud of. You never hear of anything unbecoming of them or their students, it’s just a great program. Hope to see them get to 900!!

Thanks for the nice comments and respect!
Mayfield just shows up plays all comers and wins.
rookie57 Wrote:Thanks for the nice comments and respect!

It’s hard not to, they’ve definitely earned it!
Mayfield is one of the great high school programs not only in the state of Kentucky but in the country.
That’s a great accomplishment for the school it is only fitting the game will be against beechwood if everything goes as it appears. With all the great games of the 1990’s that will be a fun game to watch.As a breathitt co fan I hope we get to play you guys in a few weeks just so we know who would win with all the talk I keep hearing. Not saying we would win or not just want to see if we are as good as I feel we are.
I don’t know if it’s a good thing or a bad thing that three KY schools are on this list...
I don’t see how that could be a bad thing.
Texans_99 Wrote:I don’t know if it’s a good thing or a bad thing that three KY schools are on this list...

From top to bottom ky is weaker in general than most states. Someone could look at this when seeing this, only on the surface though. Because MF will about play anyone any year. Now if they done it by beating the middle school two towns over, big whoop. But that’s not the case.
You know, we hear that about other states all the time. But, we have had a history of Ky teams playing teams for Ind, Ill, Tn, Oh, WV and others and doing well. I don't buy into the whole, we are a down state in football discussions.
mysonis55 Wrote:You know, we hear that about other states all the time. But, we have had a history of Ky teams playing teams for Ind, Ill, Tn, Oh, WV and others and doing well. I don't buy into the whole, we are a down state in football discussions.

I don’t tbink at the very top we are that “down”. But top to bottom as a whole. I think other states, like Indiana or Ohio, have more quality and solid teams than KY does. Their best teams might not be able to beat ours, but overall a stronger showing. I can say I’ve personally seen it in some other states. TN isn’t much ahead of us, but states like Georgia and Florida. I’ve watched some awful teams- in the home states residents view- that could probably win most districts and maybe regions here.

I honestly don’t know why it is, maybe more kids involved in those states? Maybe money? Maybe just the culture? I don’t know? But I can say I’ve seen it in the states mentioned. But I don’t want to high jack the thread and take the focus off of MF, so again congrats.
Hound05 Wrote:I don’t tbink at the very top we are that “down”. But top to bottom as a whole. I think other states, like Indiana or Ohio, have more quality and solid teams than KY does. Their best teams might not be able to beat ours, but overall a stronger showing. I can say I’ve personally seen it in some other states. TN isn’t much ahead of us, but states like Georgia and Florida. I’ve watched some awful teams- in the home states residents view- that could probably win most districts and maybe regions here.

I honestly don’t know why it is, maybe more kids involved in those states? Maybe money? Maybe just the culture? I don’t know? But I can say I’ve seen it in the states mentioned. But I don’t want to high jack the thread and take the focus off of MF, so again congrats.

Not to take anything from there great accomplishment but one thing which hurts Kentucky overall football is the amount of countries we have as a state. If we followed suite as other states we would have half the amount of counties so there would be more talent in each school to shorten the gap.
Big_blue Wrote:Not to take anything from there great accomplishment but one thing which hurts Kentucky overall football is the amount of countries we have as a state. If we followed suite as other states we would have half the amount of counties so there would be more talent in each school to shorten the gap.

I agree in some ways. I think population for example plays a big part. Florida for instance has less than half the counties we do. But the schools per county are about the same. Sometimes even more. I think money has a little to do with it. It seems like they might invest more on average and especially the “lower” programs than ky does. I think the interest from fans in these “lower” programs are about the same from fans. Maybe a tad more in ky because you have so many other things going on in places like Florida.