Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Question for Boyle Co fans?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This years Rebel team has been nothing short of dominating and fantastic this year. How does this years team compare to some of the past great Boyle Co squads? Is this there best team ever?
From what I have saw, which is far less than many others here, this team would be right up there with the best. I would give the nod to the 99 or 2000 team
Leffew boys, Miller, Quinn, Duggins, a young Jacob Tamme, etc. Those teams blew everyone out much like this years. Matt Quinn never gets the respect he should. He is one of probably the 5 best I have ever saw play in my lifetime. A pure beast at RB and LB.
I wont say it is the best ever, because I honestly don't know and wont pretend to know. But I will say this, the team they had back in 2017 was pretty dang tough. I know they have most of the same skill players right now they did back then, and they have obviously improved, but that dang offensive line they had that year is what separated them from most other teams. It was something to behold. Like one solid unit just coming at you at once. But now they've got a heck of a team this year too! Is it better than when they had Tamme? Dawson? I honestly don't know. I mean those guys are in the league playing. While I think they have some of the best players in Ky on their team this year, I don't see any of them playing on sundays. But the question was about teams, not individuals. I'm interested in hearing some of the old timers thoughts who were around the program for all these years
I talked last week with Steve Bertram about this very question.

He said it is the most talented he has seen at Boyle. I’ve always held the 2000 as the best because their only competitive games were the 2 vs Lex Cath. And they did that without Jacob Tamme who broke his leg in the early season.

Division 1 and 1-AA players were: Travis Leffew, Taylor Begley, Matt Miller, Brodie Overstreet, Jacob Tamme.

Add to them Justin Nicols and Matt Quinn and a QB who was Mr Football and they were the best of the run.

This team is right there if they finish the deal IMO.
If we finish like I hope and expect, this team will get my vote for best Boyle Co team ever! I watched the 99 and 2000 teams but this one is special.
So, if this Boyle County team fails to win the state title, then there is no way that it is the best Boyle County team ever. Presumably, a state champion from any other school in 4A cannot possibly be better than the best Boyle County team in history.

Got it. Confusednicker:
Yep you are right.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:So, if this Boyle County team fails to win the state title, then there is no way that it is the best Boyle County team ever. Presumably, a state champion from any other school in 4A cannot possibly be better than the best Boyle County team in history.

Got it. Confusednicker:

Do you consider (38-1) UK Basketball team from 2015 the best team ever? I don't. Part of being the best ever is being able to put it all together in the end.

How could a team that doesn't win the title be considered your best team ever?

To answer the question, I have no idea but I will say that this team would have to be in the conversation. I'll let you know in about a month.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:So, if this Boyle County team fails to win the state title, then there is no way that it is the best Boyle County team ever. Presumably, a state champion from any other school in 4A cannot possibly be better than the best Boyle County team in history.

Got it. Confusednicker:

Didn't realize you were a Boyle Co fan?

Got it. Confusednicker:

Do you consider any other Johnson Central team that didn’t win it their greatest? Or Belfry?
FoSho Wrote:Do you consider (38-1) UK Basketball team from 2015 the best team ever? I don't. Part of being the best ever is being able to put it all together in the end.

How could a team that doesn't win the title be considered your best team ever?

To answer the question, I have no idea but I will say that this team would have to be in the conversation. I'll let you know in about a month.

I agree. A title doesn’t make you the best, but it should be a requirement to consider the team. To answer the question from another poster. I wouldn’t say a team that could possibly beat Boyle is the better than any other team Boyle has had, because of the body of work this team has achieved in the past 3 years. Title, semi runner up, probable title. On top of the very few losses they’ve had, and the amazing teams they’ve beat along the stretch.

Now like I said I don’t know if this is the best team boyles had, because I don’t follow them that closely. But I agree with FoShos title comment.
FoSho Wrote:Didn't realize you were a Boyle Co fan?
I didn't realize that you were a moderator.
Hatz Wrote:Do you consider any other Johnson Central team that didn’t win it their greatest? Or Belfry?
It is very possible that the team that lost the regional finals to a great Highlands state champion team by one TD was Johnson Central's best team ever, IMO.

Our state championship team was definitely the most dominant JC team in history but losing a regular season game to what was possibly Belfry's best team ever does not mean that an undefeated state championship team would be better than the 2016 team.

This is either the best BC team ever or it isn't. The results of a single game will not change that fact.
It's all perception. Winning a title should automatically put a team in the conversation as one of a programs best ever because they earned that respect. Does it mean they are the best. Nope. I'm sure Danville 93 team was as good or better as some of the other Danville teams that won it all, but people will perceive that a team that falls short is not as good. I don't agree. I don't think Paducah Tilghman 09 was a better team than Boyle County 2018 just because they won a 3a title, and Boyle didn't. I think Mayfield last 3 years teams where as good as some Mayfield teams that won a title. Some years the competition is stouter than others. I think a title team should be celebrated, but don't think that the lack of a state Championship should automatically place a team in the back of the line. That Michael Bush Male team also comes to mind as a great team that didn't win it all. You can celebrate the greatness of a State Champion, but doesn't mean we have to brush every other team off as inferior and throw them in a dumpster just because they didn't win in week 15. A state title is a goal that is achieved, it doesn't make you any better or worse than you are. If the opposing team misses a field goal as time expires giving you a state title does it really make you any better than if they would have hit it giving you runner up?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I didn't realize that you were a moderator.

The question wasn't directed at you. The only reason for you to comment is that to prove you're an ass.

At least there is no doubt now, so thank you for that.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It is very possible that the team that lost the regional finals to a great Highlands state champion team by one TD was Johnson Central's best team ever, IMO.

Our state championship team was definitely the most dominant JC team in history but losing a regular season game to what was possibly Belfry's best team ever does not mean that an undefeated state championship team would be better than the 2016 team.

This is either the best BC team ever or it isn't. The results of a single game will not change that fact.

If you don't win a title how can it be your best team ever? Simple. It can't.

Now go back to the "Best team ever in Johnson Central history" and argue with yourself.
This year’s team is good but the 2000 team was the best high school football team I’ve ever seen, IMO the 2000 team was much better defensively.
killbilly usmc Wrote:It's all perception. Winning a title should automatically put a team in the conversation as one of a programs best ever because they earned that respect. Does it mean they are the best. Nope. I'm sure Danville 93 team was as good or better as some of the other Danville teams that won it all, but people will perceive that a team that falls short is not as good. I don't agree. I don't think Paducah Tilghman 09 was a better team than Boyle County 2018 just because they won a 3a title, and Boyle didn't. I think Mayfield last 3 years teams where as good as some Mayfield teams that won a title. Some years the competition is stouter than others. I think a title team should be celebrated, but don't think that the lack of a state Championship should automatically place a team in the back of the line. That Michael Bush Male team also comes to mind as a great team that didn't win it all. You can celebrate the greatness of a State Champion, but doesn't mean we have to brush every other team off as inferior and throw them in a dumpster just because they didn't win in week 15. A state title is a goal that is achieved, it doesn't make you any better or worse than you are. If the opposing team misses a field goal as time expires giving you a state title does it really make you any better than if they would have hit it giving you runner up?

When you have several titles as a program and a really good team fails to join that club then that team cannot be considered as the best ever.

At least not at Boyle Co or any other program with several titles.
FoSho Wrote:The question wasn't directed at you. The only reason for you to comment is that to prove you're an ass.

At least there is no doubt now, so thank you for that.
Actually, your comment was made in response to my post.
FoSho Wrote:If you don't win a title how can it be your best team ever? Simple. It can't.

Now go back to the "Best team ever in Johnson Central history" and argue with yourself.
That is a ridiculous, illogical statement. I will post in whichever threads that I want. You have no vote in the matter.
Jack Lambert Wrote:This year’s team is good but the 2000 team was the best high school football team I’ve ever seen, IMO the 2000 team was much better defensively.

One thing that run of titles has over most of Boyle’s squads now is it was done in the 4 Class System.
Hatz Wrote:One thing that run of titles has over most of Boyle’s squads now is it was done in the 4 Class System.
Great point, Hatz. State titles won when there were only 3 or 4 classes were won against much stronger fields. This year's Boyle County team will likely only face one serious challenge at most if they win the title. Win or lose, that does not rule out the possibility that this is the best BC team of all time, but this team's weaker strength of schedule is a factor that must be considered.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It is very possible that the team that lost the regional finals to a great Highlands state champion team by one TD was Johnson Central's best team ever, IMO.

I would disagree. I think you have to take a whole body of work and decide after that body of work is done.
Jack Lambert Wrote:This year’s team is good but the 2000 team was the best high school football team I’ve ever seen, IMO the 2000 team was much better defensively.

As I stated before I can’t say what team is better for Boyle, because I’m not knowledgeable enough. But your defensive comment does interest me in all of this. I don’t mean this in a negative light, but I’m not too impressed with this years teams D. They are good no doubt, but I almost think last years team had just as good of a defense if not better. Boyle’s offense is just so dominant that it actually forces some teams to play outside their offense to just play “catch up”.
Hatz Wrote:One thing that run of titles has over most of Boyle’s squads now is it was done in the 4 Class System.

Very solid point that would have to be considered when talking about any team. Much harder to win a ‘ship back then compared to now.
Hatz Wrote:I would disagree. I think you have to take a whole body of work and decide after that body of work is done.
I actually agree and maybe I should have been more clear in my original post. My point is that losing in the state finals would not mean disqualify the runner up from being the best team in the school's history. I do think that the overall weakness in Class 4A (and in all classes as well) this season will weaken the state champion's claim as its school's best team ever.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:That is a ridiculous, illogical statement. I will post in whichever threads that I want. You have no vote in the matter.

Fine.

Knock yourself out skippy. 🙄
FoSho Wrote:Fine.

You have no dog in this fight or any insight as to know how to give any input except to be an ass. Which you have proven to be great at.

Knock yourself out skippy. 🙄
I suggest that you drop the personal insults and report me for having the audacity to post in a thread that you have personally designated as being for Boyle Court fans only. Let me know how that works for you.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I suggest that you drop the personal insults and report me for having the audacity to post in a thread that you have personally designated as being for Boyle Court fans only. Let me know how that works for you.

Snowflake.
FoSho Wrote:Snowflake.
:biglmao: That's a real knee slapper there. You seem to be a bit immature to be debating full grown adults. I suggest that you consider returning to the shallow end of the pool.
Pages: 1 2