Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: When did your team last miss the playoffs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With this being the first week of the playoffs an interesting topic came up in a thread about when Prestonsburg last missed the playoffs. A Pburg fan posted that 1988 was the last time the Blackcats weren't in the post-season.

PantherThunder then posted that Pikeville last missed the playoffs in 1985.... but I think the Panthers more than made up for that in the late 80's.

Since the 6 class system was adopted in 2007, my guess is that several teams that wouldn't be in the playoffs suddenly found themselves playing for the first time in a long time. if that's the case, if you remember what year your team missed before the 6 class system, post that as well.
Another factor to consider when looking at the theses consecutive appearances are their district schedules. Some of the districts in NKY & Louisville were probably harder to win than a state championship before the 6 class system.

So let's hear it, when was the last year your team missed the playoffs?
Johnson Central - 2004, Class 3A.

Our first ever playoff game was in 1995 vs. Bell County. Our first year of football was 1971.... so for 24 seasons, we were shutout of the post-season.
We did have a team in 1970, but those games were either against JV teams or considered scrimmages, so I'm not counting that year.

https://jcgoldeneagles.com/library/files...-12-17.pdf
Im pretty sure the khsaa started playoffs in 1959 an i believe we have been in playoffs every year but maybe 1960.. the most recent first round loss was 1970.. i think..
1984. First year under Haywood.
ontopofthewest Wrote:Im pretty sure the khsaa started playoffs in 1959 an i believe we have been in playoffs every year but maybe 1960.. the most recent first round loss was 1970.. i think..

Actually I believe we missed in 1979 & 1980. Ft Campbell put us out in district play in route to state titles and you had to win your district to advance. That needs clarification but I think that's the case. I was a young kid then and maybe wrong. I believe we only had 2 losses both years but FC got us
Tilghman missed the post season in 2008, for using an ineligible player (grades) against Webster Co. Webster insisted on taking the 1-0 forfeit win, even tho they lost the game 55-6. Don't even think the ineligible player was a starter. Webster went on to lose first round to Russellville 41-6.
AngryMob Wrote:1984. First year under Haywood.

Random piece of trivia about that season.

Belfry lost 4 games that year.

One of those was to Man, WV.... the Hillbillies went on to be the West Virginia 2A Runner-Ups that year. Belfry only lost 12-6.

Wow! I didn't know that. I wonder how many folks thought that was a bad hire at the time missing the playoffs first year.

Wow! I didn't know that. I wonder how many folks thought that was a bad hire at the time missing the playoffs first year? Obviously it wasn't.
Trinity, St. X., Highlands, Male, Beechwood.... one of these six teams has to have the longest streak of not missing the playoffs. Maybe never have missed the playoffs.
Off the top of my head and I am too tired and lazy to look. The last time Raceland missed was 2000. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Any Corbin historians out there older than me. I was born in 84 but I don’t even remember missing from the 90’s on?
I have been a serious Cardinal fan since the late 1960’s, and I can only think of three years when Mayfield didn’t make the playoffs. The last time being in 1980. The 2A state champion Ft Campbell Falcons keeping us out that year. Someone please correct me if that is not accurate.
Paintsville 96 maybe? 1-8 season first year under David Lemaster if memory serves me correctly.
Chuck Smith doesn't miss the playoffs.

The playoffs miss him.
FoSho Wrote:Chuck Smith doesn't miss the playoffs.

The playoffs miss him.

:biglmao:
As I am working on my database of complete (as it can be) KY HS history I see for the teams mentioned in this thread

Corbin - 1987
Trinity - 1971
St. X - 1988
Beechwood - 1979
Male - 1979 (they were actually pretty bad in the late 70s, going 3 - 36 from 76-79
Highlands - 1990
A few others

Pikeville - 1985
Danville - 1980
Boyle Co - 1993
Bell Co - 1986
AtlPirateFan Wrote:A few others

Pikeville - 1985
Danville - 1980
Boyle Co - 1993
Bell Co - 1986

Ironically that Danville team in 1980 was possibly the best team I ever played against. They lost in OT by inches on a 4th down play that would have tied it and perhaps won it with the EP.

It was Duffy's first year and he had a perfect QB for the Wishbone but more than that they had a Defense that was one of the best in the state. They beat eventual AA Champ Corbin and won their last 4 games after the devastating loss to Woodford County.

In that era only the District Champion made the playoffs. I think Lit Ratings had them 2nd in AAA at the end of the Regular Season. :Thumbs:
Hatz Wrote:Ironically that Danville team in 1980 was possibly the best team I ever played against. They lost in OT by inches on a 4th down play that would have tied it and perhaps won it with the EP.

It was Duffy's first year and he had a perfect QB for the Wishbone but more than that they had a Defense that was one of the best in the state. They beat eventual AA Champ Corbin and won their last 4 games after the devastating loss to Woodford County.

In that era only the District Champion made the playoffs. I think Lit Ratings had them 2nd in AAA at the end of the Regular Season. :Thumbs:

As I have been compiling data I see a lot of that happened because of the 1 team per district rules at that time. So many times a 1 loss teams missed the playoffs to a 5 or 6 win team, that district record meant so much until 1991 when the top 4 teams from each district got bids. For a short period from 1987 - 1990 the top 2 teams in each district got a bid.

Prior to 87 it was a mess, district winners got a bid, but then there were subdistricts and that caused an ugly playoff bracket that gave byes based on district membership and not meritt. Then the early version of subdistricts existed but were treated like a single district when it came to the playoff spot......some districts had 2-3 teams others had 8 or 9..... Total chaos
AtlPirateFan Wrote:As I have been compiling data I see a lot of that happened because of the 1 team per district rules at that time. So many times a 1 loss teams missed the playoffs to a 5 or 6 win team, that district record meant so much until 1991 when the top 4 teams from each district got bids. For a short period from 1987 - 1990 the top 2 teams in each district got a bid.

Prior to 87 it was a mess, district winners got a bid, but then there were subdistricts and that caused an ugly playoff bracket that gave byes based on district membership and not meritt. Then the early version of subdistricts existed but were treated like a single district when it came to the playoff spot......some districts had 2-3 teams others had 8 or 9..... Total chaos

Correct. My Junior Season we were 9-1. Defeated the AA Semi-Finalist, AAA District Champ, and a couple of other good teams. But because we lost a game to Russell County in a quagmire, we stayed home while their 8-4 record went to the playoffs. :Thumbs:
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Johnson Central - 2004, Class 3A.

Our first ever playoff game was in 1995 vs. Bell County. Our first year of football was 1971.... so for 24 seasons, we were shutout of the post-season.
We did have a team in 1970, but those games were either against JV teams or considered scrimmages, so I'm not counting that year.

You all bought the rights to the mascot and colors of the old Irvine High Golden Eagles that closed when Estill County consolidated.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:As I have been compiling data I see a lot of that happened because of the 1 team per district rules at that time. So many times a 1 loss teams missed the playoffs to a 5 or 6 win team, that district record meant so much until 1991 when the top 4 teams from each district got bids. For a short period from 1987 - 1990 the top 2 teams in each district got a bid.

In 1964, Pikeville lost to Elkhorn City, eventual State Champions, late in the 4th quarter because of a snap that went over the punter’s head. Only loss of the year for Pikeville and kept them out of the playoffs.

Pikeville did not make the playoffs from 1959-1971. Hillard Howard’s first year in 1972 was their first appearance as they finished Runner-up in Class A.

PHS has missed the playoffs since 1972 in: 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, and 1985.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Johnson Central - 2004, Class 3A.

jumpshooter Wrote:You all bought the rights to the mascot and colors of the old Irvine High Golden Eagles that closed when Estill County consolidated.

I've never heard this before. Why would a school need to buy the rights to a mascot & colors. Did the old Irvine High school own the copyrights on the colors Black & Gold and the actual animal that is the Golden eagle?

I know JC was originally tabbed to be the Red, White & Blue Generals or Colonies.... but thank God, that didn't happen.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I've never heard this before. Why would a school need to buy the rights to a mascot & colors. Did the old Irvine High school own the copyrights on the colors Black & Gold and the actual animal that is the Golden eagle?

I know JC was originally tabbed to be the Red, White & Blue Generals or Colonies.... but thank God, that didn't happen.

I would seriously doubt they had to buy those things. Licensing laws were probably not even around back then.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I've never heard this before. Why would a school need to buy the rights to a mascot & colors. Did the old Irvine High school own the copyrights on the colors Black & Gold and the actual animal that is the Golden eagle?

It might be that JC bought the material from Irvine not due to copyrights but cost, instead of paying all the expenses of creating new logos, having uniforms made, etc the Irvine stuff may have been in good shape and cheaper than all new. We know how administrators love to pinch a penny
Patriots, I believe, and it was going to be called Johnson County Central according to the sign on the property, per my grandfather’s recollection. And then a decision got made to shorten to Johnson Central and change to Golden Eagles, and adopt Morehead’s fight song. And here we are today. Much better choices IMO.
ontopofthewest Wrote:Im pretty sure the khsaa started playoffs in 1959 an i believe we have been in playoffs every year but maybe 1960.. the most recent first round loss was 1970.. i think..

Ft Campbell beat out the Cards in 1979 and 1980. :Thumbs: