Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Prestonsburg
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When was the last time the Blackcats were not in the playoffs?
The KHSAA scoreboard only goes back to 1998.... and Pburg was in the playoffs every year from 1998 through 2018. So none of the current Prestonsburg players were born the last time Pburg wasn't in the playoffs.

We'll need a Blackcat historian to give us an answer past 1998.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:The KHSAA scoreboard only goes back to 1998.... and Pburg was in the playoffs every year from 1998 through 2018. So none of the current Prestonsburg players were born the last time Pburg wasn't in the playoffs.

We'll need a Blackcat historian to give us an answer past 1998.

I was born in 1993, and have been connected to the Cats in some manner every year since and we haven't missed in my lifetime.

I think I've heard that it was sometime in the mid 80's but I don't know the exact year.
In 1988 Prestonsburg went 2-8 and missed the playoffs. I think that was the last time they had done so.
Hopefully the Blackcats can get back in the playoffs next season
WestCarterComet Wrote:Hopefully the Blackcats can get back in the playoffs next season

Hopefully we can sneak in as the 4 next year. Realistically speaking, I think we are 2 years away from being a solid team again.

I see the top 3 seeds in the district being the same 3 teams next year with 2 and 3 probably switching and West Carter being the 1 again.
Westside Wrote:In 1988 Prestonsburg went 2-8 and missed the playoffs. I think that was the last time they had done so.

A consecutive thirty year playoff has to be close to a state record.
BlackcatPride32 Wrote:Hopefully we can sneak in as the 4 next year. Realistically speaking, I think we are 2 years away from being a solid team again.

I see the top 3 seeds in the district being the same 3 teams next year with 2 and 3 probably switching and West Carter being the 1 again.

Agreed... Pburg is still a few years away from fielding a solid football team. Youth programs at PES and Adams are churning out good numbers and the kids are being coached up by men who played on state runner up teams. Just got to keep these kids at Pburg and keep them in shape. Wins will start coming again.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Agreed... Pburg is still a few years away from fielding a solid football team. Youth programs at PES and Adams are churning out good numbers and the kids are being coached up by men who played on state runner up teams. Just got to keep these kids at Pburg and keep them in shape. Wins will start coming again.

And keep them from quitting. The youth teams had big numbers. But the downside to that is a lot of kids didn’t get playing time or much attention. Hate to see them start to drop off or get left behind.
Matman Wrote:And keep them from quitting. The youth teams had big numbers. But the downside to that is a lot of kids didn’t get playing time or much attention. Hate to see them start to drop off or get left behind.

There will always be those who will quit for all sorts of reasons. But I’ll say this, the AMS and PES coaches are playing the kids who put in the effort and work.

I’d also like to say that it would be nice to see Allen Elementary get their football program up and going again. I believe they had a C team this past season but didn’t have enough for a A or B team.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Agreed... Pburg is still a few years away from fielding a solid football team. Youth programs at PES and Adams are churning out good numbers and the kids are being coached up by men who played on state runner up teams. Just got to keep these kids at Pburg and keep them in shape. Wins will start coming again.

I just hope that Brewer is given time to rebuild this program. With kids running the same system from top to bottom, it should help with the continuity.

I'm also hoping for some better fan support. I remember a time that a district game at Blackcat Stadium used to be crowded. There was a game this year where the traveling team had a crowd 2x as big as ours.

I used to be so upset about those players who left the program, but I've learned to not worry about it. They aren't coming back and to only be concerned about what we have left to work with.

I do wish those kids that left all the best, because at the end of the day they're still just kids.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:There will always be those who will quit for all sorts of reasons. But I’ll say this, the AMS and PES coaches are playing the kids who put in the effort and work.

I’d also like to say that it would be nice to see Allen Elementary get their football program up and going again. I believe they had a C team this past season but didn’t have enough for a A or B team.

Not saying the kids that were playing shouldn't have been. Not at all. I’m saying that’s a factor to keeping kids out at the youth level. Also the kids who are already the best tend to get the most attention. The other kids don’t get developed. At the same time that can breed competition. However, knowing the parents, their more likely to look for another sport to play. I hope it’s not the case. But There were more kids on the youth team than the high school team.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:A consecutive thirty year playoff has to be close to a state record.

I’m sure a few schools can top this, but Pikeville last missed the playoffs in 1985.
BlackcatPride32 Wrote:I just hope that Brewer is given time to rebuild this program. With kids running the same system from top to bottom, it should help with the continuity.

I'm also hoping for some better fan support. I remember a time that a district game at Blackcat Stadium used to be crowded. There was a game this year where the traveling team had a crowd 2x as big as ours.

I used to be so upset about those players who left the program, but I've learned to not worry about it. They aren't coming back and to only be concerned about what we have left to work with.

I do wish those kids that left all the best, because at the end of the day they're still just kids.

The fans will show up when you have a winning product. That’s just how sports work.

Brewer still has a lot of work to do as well. He’s got to find the right people to surround himself with that know how to connect with the kids and also know football. Coach Brewer isn’t from here, so it’ll take him some time to develop the right staff and build that trust.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:The fans will show up when you have a winning product. That’s just how sports work.

Brewer still has a lot of work to do as well. He’s got to find the right people to surround himself with that know how to connect with the kids and also know football. Coach Brewer isn’t from here, so it’ll take him some time to develop the right staff and build that trust.

That's the issue right there. He has a few who can do that, but I think the majority of the staff needs to be replaced.

I've noticed the last few games a couple of old faces who were helping and I think one to really watch is Trevor Compton.

Trevor was a huge part of some of my favorite PBurg teams growing up and I feel he's young enough to really help, especially with the passing game.
The kids coming up have a better choice than Prestonsburg, they can stay in county and play at Floyd Central with Coach Hager or go to Johnson or Pike Counties.
The Eagle Knows Wrote:The kids coming up have a better choice than Prestonsburg, they can stay in county and play at Floyd Central with Coach Hager or go to Johnson or Pike Counties.

Why stop there? Why not just move to Lexington or Louisville and go to one of the several schools there?

Why not go down to FL and play at IMG?

Obviously JC is in a MUCH better place right now and both of the local 1A schools, but not too long ago Prestonsburg was better than all 3! Outside of Belfry, PBurg was the best school in this small tri county area for several years.
The Eagle Knows Wrote:The kids coming up have a better choice than Prestonsburg, they can stay in county and play at Floyd Central with Coach Hager or go to Johnson or Pike Counties.

No thanks.

#LoyalandTrue
Why did John D do so much better with the same kids?
Real Badman Wrote:Why did John D do so much better with the same kids?

Coach John hasn’t coached Pburg since 2017. So I’m not sure what you mean.
It's good to hear some former Blackcats are taking interest in the feeder program. In my opinion, the feeder programs are the most important part of building a championship level program. The key to Prestonsburg having success, is ensuring these kids stay at Prestonsburg and not transfer to surrounding schools. Mountain football is always better when Prestonsburg fields a strong team.
Cat Daddy Wrote:It's good to hear some former Blackcats are taking interest in the feeder program. In my opinion, the feeder programs are the most important part of building a championship level program. The key to Prestonsburg having success, is ensuring these kids stay at Prestonsburg and not transfer to surrounding schools. Mountain football is always better when Prestonsburg fields a strong team.

I couldn't agree more, and I feel likewise about Breathitt! Hoping you guys go far in 2A!