Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Wow 3A
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
3A overall is just blah this year. But mediocrity sometimes creates depth and possibly great competition. No other class was as deep in the RPI numbers as 12 teams had an RPI of at least .600.

If you divide East and West, the East looks fairly normal with Bell Russell Belfry and Ashland being key players. 3rd round looks like Bell hosting and either Belfry at Russell or Belfry hosting Ashland.

My head hurts looking out west. How many teams can you make a case for to make it to the semis? A bunch IMO. There are some crazy scenarios out there. This class may not be great but they will be fun to watch in the playoffs.
bucslover68 Wrote:3A overall is just blah this year. But mediocrity sometimes creates depth and possibly great competition. No other class was as deep in the RPI numbers as 12 teams had an RPI of at least .600.

If you divide East and West, the East looks fairly normal with Bell Russell Belfry and Ashland being key players. 3rd round looks like Bell hosting and either Belfry at Russell or Belfry hosting Ashland.

My head hurts looking out west. How many teams can you make a case for to make it to the semis? A bunch IMO. There are some crazy scenarios out there. This class may not be great but they will be fun to watch in the playoffs.
How could Russel jump that much in the RPI last night by beating West Carter? This system is so flawed. Russel gains in the RPI because they beat West Carter and Belfry is punished because they lost to a very good Johnson Central team.
Ralph Furley Wrote:How could Russel jump that much in the RPI last night by beating West Carter? This system is so flawed. Russel gains in the RPI because they beat West Carter and Belfry is punished because they lost to a very good Johnson Central team.

I think it’s just the overall components of the RPI. You have to factor in what your opponents and their opponents did. Ashland is the one who really got hurt. They got punished for playing 4 good or really good out of state teams.
Wide open.
This class has more balance than any other class. I don't think they have that 2 or 3 dominant teams like the other classes, but, there's 12-13 teams that are solid ball clubs that can knock anyone else in the class off on any given day and it not be considered that big of an upset.
Pay particularly close attention to Glasgow. Outstanding team.
Tica Wrote:Pay particularly close attention to Glasgow. Outstanding team.

Yeah you never know what to think about Glasgow. They didn't exactly dominate their district but their only loss on the season is a good one that they should have won. One thing you can say about the Scotties, they always seem to play their best ball when the stakes are highest.
Ralph Furley Wrote:How could Russel jump that much in the RPI last night by beating West Carter? This system is so flawed. Russel gains in the RPI because they beat West Carter and Belfry is punished because they lost to a very good Johnson Central team.
Russell didn’t move that much with a win over West Carter they’ve been in the top 5 3a rpi most of the year
Out to just have a champ and runner up from each district and play 3 more games to decide state champ. To many friggin games. Week 11 and 12 are worthless games.
Winner and runner up sounds nice but it will never work, thanks to what happened in 2009. Tilghman was a 3-6 team and finished finished third in a weak district. 12 guys quit. Last game of the regular season coach changed QBs, team caught fire and won AAA. So you're never going to be able to get rid of a three seed because of that. May never happen again but it did that year.
Tica Wrote:Winner and runner up sounds nice but it will never work, thanks to what happened in 2009. Tilghman was a 3-6 team and finished finished third in a weak district. 12 guys quit. Last game of the regular season coach changed QBs, team caught fire and won AAA. So you're never going to be able to get rid of a three seed because of that. May never happen again but it did that year.

Wow! That sounds like something you could make a movie about. I bet those 12 guys are kicking themselves but then again those 12 guys quitting may have been what rallied the remaining players to win a championship. I knew they didn't have a great record but didn't know about the other stuff.
That was a very good Tilghman team despite what the record was.. They played a murderers row of non district teams that year and there were a couple of good district opponents that year, also. Once a few of the head cases left the team, they started playing like a championship team..
Welcome to Log Mountain! Your journey to Kroger field will not be given it must be earned . Good luck to all the teams in 3A . The Hilton Inn is open for the playoffs
Tica Wrote:Pay particularly close attention to Glasgow. Outstanding team.

Glasgow is a good team but seems to play to their opponents level. The first half of the Adair Co game was close and it took them the whole game to put Casey Co away. Casey held them to under 50 yards offense the first half, but they lead South Warren until the last few seconds. They’ve definitely got the athletes to make a deep run. I’m interested to see how they do. Good luck to the Scotties!
bucslover68 Wrote:3A overall is just blah this year. But mediocrity sometimes creates depth and possibly great competition. No other class was as deep in the RPI numbers as 12 teams had an RPI of at least .600.

Well...once all the 4A's moved up, that should have been 4A for the past 4 years, it has helped out a lot of medium sized 3A schools. Then a couple of very solid, to great 2A's who have had the numbers to be 3A for awhile moved into 3A...It has just made a competitive division. 4A I think is going to have, possibly, the best matchup in the final if Boyle and JOhnson Central end up playing for that ship. Although I feel Boyle might be good enough to give 6A a game for the championship! I don't care about Mayfield and their domination it's just the same old thing. When Danville is really good is when that class is fun. But I do believe 3A is wide open and there might even be a shocker of a champ in this class.
Smoke, I don’t think Mayfield has anything in the bag. I’m interested in 2A a little more than normal even though the Ads won’t be in the top 4. With LCA or Somerset could give Mayfield a great game. I may throw Breathitt in there once they face better competition, but the jury Is still out for me on the Bobcats.
Ragnar Wrote:Welcome to Log Mountain! Your journey to Kroger field will not be given it must be earned . Good luck to all the teams in 3A . The Hilton Inn is open for the playoffs

Congratulations to bell on a undefected regular season but at best that’s a very week schedule.
People are going to eat me alive for saying this, but go look at the score board on KHSAA. If DeSales is the best the west had to offer, Belfry wins at Kroger by two touchdowns unless Bell is for real. Haven't looked at RPI rankings, but a Bell vs. Belfry state final could be possibly.
bball_fan Wrote:People are going to eat me alive for saying this, but go look at the score board on KHSAA. If DeSales is the best the west had to offer, Belfry wins at Kroger by two touchdowns unless Bell is for real. Haven't looked at RPI rankings, but a Bell vs. Belfry state final could be possibly.

Ashland or Russell will have something to say about that as one of them will play Belfry in the 3rd round and they are both very good football teams
Hard to think the DeSales team with an uninspiring loss to lowly 4-6 Meade County was the same time I saw completely eviscerate Tilghman.

Someone looking ahead perhaps?
Tica Wrote:Hard to think the DeSales team with an uninspiring loss to lowly 4-6 Meade County was the same time I saw completely eviscerate Tilghman.

Someone looking ahead perhaps?

It happens. We got beat. Team looked like they mailed the game in early.
bball_fan Wrote:People are going to eat me alive for saying this, but go look at the score board on KHSAA. If DeSales is the best the west had to offer, Belfry wins at Kroger by two touchdowns unless Bell is for real. Haven't looked at RPI rankings, but a Bell vs. Belfry state final could be possibly.

Bell very well could be, but until they actually play someone no one knows. They have just proved that you can make a horrendous schedule and be ranked #1 in RPI for home field advantage through the whole thing. While they may prove to be the best, they won’t be the best prepared. When you have talent like they do this year in key areas while your class is down overall like 3A, it might work out for you. But more times than not it won’t.
Hound05 Wrote:Bell very well could be, but until they actually play someone no one knows. They have just proved that you can make a horrendous schedule and be ranked #1 in RPI for home field advantage through the whole thing. While they may prove to be the best, they won’t be the best prepared. When you have talent like they do this year in key areas while your class is down overall like 3A, it might work out for you. But more times than not it won’t.
I'd bet Dudley will have them prepared.