Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2a rpi tie breaker question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So.. mayfield an somerset are tied in rpi at .753.... figuratively speaking.. if #1 lca (.777) gets beat by somerset in round 2, who becomes #1 seed.. both mayfield an somerset have rpi of .753... thats a big question ... anyone know the anwser.. the difference in playing 3 seed vs a 4 seed is big right..... anyone with answers???
I read on the Somerset/Corbin thread that Mayfield rpi was .753 and Somerset's rpi was .7527 so Mayfield is higher. That's about as close as you can get to have it goes to the ten thousandths place.
Read the same on the mayfield vs madi thread... but if that is correct where is the info coming from??? Bc khsaa has it at both .753
It really would not matter except to determine who is home team at state. I don’t think either team would have an issue with hosting whichever team is the remaining 3 or 4 seed in the semis.
Umm.. no your wrong.... its a big difference... games are about matchups.. an the way we are playing id rather take my chances against a team that doest match with us... i mean this is a lot of common sense... right?? I get what your saying , thump my chest lets beat the best dont care who they are.. but there is a difference between a brethitt vs a beechwood.. come on...
No. Nothing to beat chest about. It’s simple. Neither Beechwood nor Breathitt are near the same level as the top three. I’m very certain you will see this in the semis. Both semis will be blowouts.
ontopofthewest Wrote:Umm.. no your wrong.... its a big difference... games are about matchups.. an the way we are playing id rather take my chances against a team that doest match with us... i mean this is a lot of common sense... right?? I get what your saying , thump my chest lets beat the best dont care who they are.. but there is a difference between a brethitt vs a beechwood.. come on...

So, assuming, and that’s what it is, mayfield gets to semi’s, who’s the better matchup for the cardinals?
And by no means would I completely count out Caldwell county or Owensboro cath ruining either scenario, I don’t think they can, but,,,,
rookie57 Wrote:And by no means would I completely count out Caldwell county or Owensboro cath ruining either scenario, I don’t think they can, but,,,,

I would. We already put a running clock on Caldwell in Princeton. Owensboro Catholic just got blitzed by a team that only beat Marshall Co by 1 touchdown.
Matters not, you have to face whoever is left standing but atleast we face them at home
War Memorial
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:Matters not, you have to face whoever is left standing but atleast we face them at home

Ehh, it could matter to whether or not you move on to the next round, we’ve played teams in the semi’s that were better than the team we faced in the finals.
ontopofthewest Wrote:Read the same on the mayfield vs madi thread... but if that is correct where is the info coming from??? Bc khsaa has it at both .753

What happens if two teams are tied in the final RPI standings?

The tiebreaker will sequentially be as follows for this unlikely scenario. It is as follows:

The RPI is calculated to infinity by the computer system, however, only the first three decimal places are displayed on the website. Should there be a tie, the first tie-breaker will be the complete calculated RPI, first at five decimal places, and then beyond five decimal places.

Head-to-head result between the two teams

Winning percentage

Opponents’ winning percentage

Opponents’ opponents winning percentage

Highest-rated win (according to the final RPI standings)

Next-highest rated win (exhaust all possibilities)

Coin flip – The only reason for the coin flip is as a last result if all other scenarios happen to be tied.
As I stated in the other thread, those .0003 points may not matter much to the top 2 seeds, but they mean quite a bit to the teams in the East, particularly Breathitt or Beechwood. When Somerset was 2nd in the RPI it didn't matter how things played out in the matchup between Somerset and LCA in the second round because the winner would've been the top remaining seed. Now, hypothetically speaking if it were Beechwood and Breathitt to come out of the East and Somerset beats LCA, Beechwood gets to make the 5ish hour drive to Mayfield. If LCA wins, it'll be Breathitt making the long trip out West.

That's why those .0003 points actually do make a big difference.
rookie57 Wrote:Ehh, it could matter to whether or not you move on to the next round, we’ve played teams in the semi’s that were better than the team we faced in the finals.

That isn’t near the case this year. You are looking at the difference between Beechwood or Breathitt Co at home. It’s an absolute wash.
Long way from Jackson to Mayfield.
I think it’s ridiculous for a team to travel over five hours to play a state semi final game.
Cat Daddy Wrote:I think it’s ridiculous for a team to travel over five hours to play a state semi final game.

I agree but, in the old system, we had to do that several times to go to Beechwood. They were supposedly a west team.
mysonis55 Wrote:I agree but, in the old system, we had to do that several times to go to Beechwood. They were supposedly a west team.

Yeah, that is crazy. I would feel the same if Mayfield was traveling to Jackson. It’s hard on both players and fans.
Cat Daddy Wrote:I think it’s ridiculous for a team to travel over five hours to play a state semi final game.

It’s happened in the old system so what is the difference now other than the team with the higher system ranking hosts?

Boyle and Danville have had to go to Paducah, Mayfield and Hoptown in the past.
rookie57 Wrote:Ehh, it could matter to whether or not you move on to the next round, we’ve played teams in the semi’s that were better than the team we faced in the finals.

This happened for YEARS in Class 1A. The championship games were decided in the semifinals when Beechwood and Pikeville played. The tittle game was always lopsided.
The reason this stinks is two fold. First, no one wants to see the district redecided in the playoffs. It’s always better to be able to see cross districting. Such as, all year, I have firmly believed that Murray and Caldwell County are better than OC. We will never get the chance to prove that. Second, using a crazy, untested, stat based system to determine home field further weakens the credibility of KHSAA. It’s almost the equivalent of the old BCS in college football that rewarded teams for winning certain conferences, to determine a mythical champion. At least, if you were in the old system, you would not wind up with a Breathitt Co having to drive all the way across the state to get their teeth kicked in by a Mayfield in the semis.
mysonis55 Wrote:The reason this stinks is two fold. First, no one wants to see the district redecided in the playoffs. It’s always better to be able to see cross districting. Such as, all year, I have firmly believed that Murray and Caldwell County are better than OC. We will never get the chance to prove that. Second, using a crazy, untested, stat based system to determine home field further weakens the credibility of KHSAA. It’s almost the equivalent of the old BCS in college football that rewarded teams for winning certain conferences, to determine a mythical champion. At least, if you were in the old system, you would not wind up with a Breathitt Co having to drive all the way across the state to get their teeth kicked in by a Mayfield in the semis.

I know you didn’t probably mean it that way but statistics aren’t part of the equation. Just wins and losses.
Wins/losses are stats. You cannot base how good teams are simply from stats. So, why try. Just let everyone know in a fair format where they have to go to play whom. At least in the old system, you knew every other year you were traveling or home. Or, if they want to really make it fair, have the semis at a neutral site to cut down on travel.