Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Johnson Central @ Belfry 11/1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
The two premier mountain programs of the last 20 years meet again. Since the series has been renewed in 2007 it is 6-6. This year it has extra meaning with the RPI and both teams needing max points to possibly spend extra time at home in the playoffs. JC comes in at 9-0 and Belfry is 6-2. Two of the most talented rosters east of Lexington will battle at the CAM. Who ya got and why?

Addendum...Can we please refrain from the old "you reckon Haywood or Matney will hold anyone out to get ready for the playoffs"? This has gotten old and I guarantee you if a player is healthy they are gonna go. They have the first two weeks of the playoffs to rest if need be.

The visiting team has had more than their share of success in this one. This year I like Belfry in a tight one. Lets make it 24-21 Pirates in a classic.
I would love to see Belfry win, but I think Johnson Central will win this one. I hope both teams come out injury free. Coach Hayward is the most respected coach in the mountains and Coach Matney has built an unbelievable powerhouse program at Johnson Central. Both coaches will play anyone. Never going to pad their schedules just to win games. Much respect to both teams and coaches.
Belfry - 35
Johnson Central - 34

Could go either way but I made this pick simply because it's being played on Pond Creek.
FoSho Wrote:Belfry - 35
Johnson Central - 34

Could go either way but I made this pick simply because it's being played on Pond Creek.

FoSho how is Mr. Smith doing? I have heard an ankle injury and I watched the play where he got hurt, but we could not tell a whole lot about it. Best wishes to one of the best players in the state.
bucslover68 Wrote:The two premier mountain programs of the last 20 years Since the series has been renewed in 2007 it is 6-6. This year it has extra meaning with the RPI and both teams needing max points to possibly spend extra time at home in the playoffs. JC comes in at 9-0 and Belfry is 6-2. Two of the most talented rosters east of Lexington will battle at the CAM. Who ya got and why?

Addendum...Can we please refrain from the old "you reckon Haywood or Matney will hold anyone out to get ready for the playoffs"? This has gotten old and I guarantee you if a player is healthy they are gonna go. They have the first two weeks of the playoffs to rest if need be.

The visiting team has had more than their share of success in this one. This year I like Belfry in a tight one. Lets make it 24-21 Pirates in a classic.

Confusednicker:
bucslover68 Wrote:FoSho how is Mr. Smith doing? I have heard an ankle injury and I watched the play where he got hurt, but we could not tell a whole lot about it. Best wishes to one of the best players in the state.

Sprained ankle is all I've heard. Can put weight on it last night but very little. Time for next man up until he can return. The train keeps rolling until then.

Thanks for asking. Good luck and see you in Lextown!
FoSho Wrote:Sprained ankle is all I've heard. Can put weight on it last night but very little. Time for next man up until he can return. The train keeps rolling until then.

Thanks for asking. Good luck and see you in Lextown!

Sure hope so brother. You are right next man has to play. Good thing for the Rebels they have some next men...lots of teams don't. They may not all be as good as number 15, but they got some dudes for sure.
jetpilot Wrote:Confusednicker:

You know its true Jet lol. Don't laugh at me like that :1: 14 state finals between the two with 7 championships since 2003.
bucslover68 Wrote:You know its true Jet. Don't laugh at me like that :1: 14 state finals between the two with 6 championships.

None before it got watered down into 6 weak classes. Please.
I give Belfry and JC their due but not the top two premier mountain teams in the last two decades or any other.
jetpilot Wrote:None before it got watered down into 6 weak classes. Please.

I said the last 20 years. Mountains all time IMO

!. Belfry...numbers and tradition don't lie
2. Pikeville... 4 titles is strong and they did the three peat first
3. Lynch East Main...numbers don't lie
4. Breathitt County...Three titles are strong

Other contenders...Bell County, Johnson Central and I will include Corbin and Hazard has to get some votes. BTW, I did not mean to hijack my own thread by saying " the two premier mountain programs of the last 20 years".

I don't look at Ashland as a mountain team.
jetpilot Wrote:I give Belfry and JC their due but not the top two premier mountain teams in the last two decades or any other.

Just curious...Who would be? Pikeville went almost 25 years without even getting to the finals. The last 20 years it is by far Belfry. Then JC has to be right there considering for many years they had to go through Highlands and/or Cov Cath.
bucslover68 Wrote:I said the last 20 years. Mountains all time IMO

!. Belfry...numbers and tradition don't lie
2. Pikeville... 4 titles is strong and they did the three peat first
3. Lynch East Main...numbers don't lie
4. Breathitt County...Three titles are strong

Other contenders...Bell County, Johnson Central and I will include Corbin.

I don't look at Ashland as a mountain team.

Belfry zero titles until super weak 3A in 6 class system.
jetpilot Wrote:Belfry zero titles until super weak 3A in 6 class system.

Sorry Jet that we didn't have to go through Pineville and Lynn Camp and Hazard and Russellville and Trigg County and Harrodsburg. We were busy having to face Highlands and Louisville Central and Etown and Tilghman and Boyle County and Lex Cath and and and the list goes on....

For Pikeville it has really been about Beechwood. Beechwood has always been the thorn for the Panthers although I was glad they got them in 2015.
All this comparison is probably good for another thread. This one is about Belfry and JC. Should be a dandy. I will even go on to say that the three point margin for Belfry will come on a Grayson Cook FG as time expires.
bucslover68 Wrote:Sorry Jet that we didn't have to go through Pineville and Lynn Camp and Hazard and Russellville and Trigg County and Harrodsburg. We were busy having to face Highlands and Louisville Central and Etown and Tilghman and Boyle County and Lex Cath and and and the list goes on....

For Pikeville it has really been about Beechwood. Beechwood has always been the thorn for the Panthers although I was glad they got them in 2015.

LOL no titles in 4 class system. 3A weakest year in and out in watered down 6 class system.
jetpilot Wrote:LOL no titles in 4 class system. 3A weakest year in and out in watered down system.

1A is now by far the weakest and PHS has one title in this modern era so to speak. If you say 3A is weak, then at least we did what we should have. We four-peated. So back to the JC and Belfry thread.
jetpilot Wrote:LOL no titles in 4 class system. 3A weakest year in and out in watered down 6 class system.

2 titles in the four class system. 2003 and 2004 in 2A.
bucslover68 Wrote:2 titles in the four class system. 2003 and 2004 in 2A.

My bad. Belfry and JC 2 premier programs in E KY is still only believed by a couple Belfry guys and nobody else on Earth though. Makes me root for JC in this one but I won't make a prediction.

If Dixon plays...tossup.
If Dixon is out...excuses:biggrin:
jetpilot Wrote:My bad. Belfry and JC 2 premier programs in E KY is still only believed by a couple Belfry guys and nobody else on Earth though. Makes me root for JC in this one but I won't make a prediction.

If Dixon plays...tossup.
If Dixon is out...excuses:biggrin:

Fair enough about Dixon, but there won't be any excuses. This has been a great series and I hope it continues.

I am still waiting on who you think the premier programs are. There can only be a certain few teams. If you say Pikeville then you better have a convincing argument because the last 20 years they haven't been anywhere near some other teams. Belfry or JC would not lose to South Floyd or Fleming Neon.:biggrin::biggrin: And believe me, if you put a poll out there and said who are the two premier programs in the mountains in high school football. JC and Belfry would come in 1 or 2 on just about every ballot unless someone just doesn't know anything about high school football in the mountains. Present day it is Belfry, JC and Pikeville IMO.
Remember Jet you sabotaged my thread lol.
Btw Jet, I think Pikeville rolls to the title this year. I am starting to think that NCC may eventually be their toughest competition if they should meet. Belfry played them a couple of times and they were always a pretty well rounded team, but to me they didn't ever have the overall team speed and athleticism to beat teams like Belfry and Pikeville.
JC in a close one!
jetpilot Wrote:Belfry zero titles until super weak 3A in 6 class system.

Don't know if anyone has broken it to you yet but that's not true.

2003 and 2004 were AA State Champions in the old 4 Class system.

Try again. :Thumbs:
jetpilot Wrote:Confusednicker:
:Thumbs:
Johnson Central 28-21
I think Belfry will be a different team than they've showed the past few weeks while Dixon was out, the kid can change the dynamic of the entire game. But, I think this year JC will still come out on top. I honestly cant predict a score because in years past I've usually picked the right winner, but been way off score wise.

Of course, all of that mentioned above is based on if both teams decide to play their starters, I have a feeling both will rest for a bigger goal of a state championship runConfusednicker:Confusednicker:
Hound05 Wrote:I think Belfry will be a different team than they've showed the past few weeks while Dixon was out, the kid can change the dynamic of the entire game. But, I think this year JC will still come out on top. I honestly cant predict a score because in years past I've usually picked the right winner, but been way off score wise.

Of course, all of that mentioned above is based on if both teams decide to play their starters, I have a feeling both will rest for a bigger goal of a state championship runConfusednicker:Confusednicker:

Way to bash my wishes Hound 😂!!! Ain’t nobody resting If they can play. Literally one or two home games could be on the line for both teams.
Dixon plays in this one for sure, that came from him directly. Too many factors to figure in at this point to give a score prediction. I will be back Thursday to give my score.
bucslover68 Wrote:Remember Jet you sabotaged my thread lol.

Jet is like a Jack Russell terrier bouncing around Confusednicker:
Pages: 1 2 3 4