Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Official Training
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In a recent game, after a safety, as the team was about to take their free kick (as a punt), the Back Judge stepped in front of the punter and informed him that the kick had to be taken off a tee and sent him off the field. Of course the coaching staff objected to the Referee and the Referee made the correct call allowing the free kick as a punt. Seriously, how does this get missed in training? And, have you seen any other instances where rules are blatantly misinterpreted by the officials? Not bad or missed calls, that happens, but misapplied or incorrect interpretation of the rules.
Maybe he just had a brain fart and thought it was just a normal TD instead of a safety. Refs make bad calls, and screw up sometimes. But it’s a hard job that’s not for everyone. Every single call they make is scrutinized by one team or the other. Especially on judgment calls, when it has to be made in a split second. And I know you made it a point to say this at the end of your post. But I’m just wondering, where it a stressful job sometimes, if he just literally had a brain Fart. Plus some HS rules are very different than other levels, and constantly changing
Official training is not all that it seems.... I believe you pass a test and you are in and thats about as far as it goes.
BigontheBobcats Wrote:Official training is not all that it seems.... I believe you pass a test and you are in and thats about as far as it goes.

No, not even close. The fact that you stated "I believe" shows you really don't know. So you first have to pass the part 1 test, then you have a rules clinic yearly that KHSAA puts out, also local associations have meetings and officials are required to attend a certain number of those meetings (usually 4 keep in mind it's only an 11 week season) (which are basically training/educational sessions), then if you want to call post season you have a part 2 test that has to be complete during a specified two week window yearly. It's definitely not just pass a test and show up.
Four years ago HC was playing a team on THEIR field. The opposing team snapped the ball to their QB, and he threw a screen pass that was caught behind the LOS. The receiver, who was about to get obliterated, reared back and threw another pass down field. This scenario happened twice. The refs let both plays go, and told our coach that if a pass was caught behind the LOS, it was considered a lateral. Even though it was caught yards from the QB, it is still a lateral pass. I'll let you guys determine where that happened. Confusednicker:

Another time, our middle school team was playing away. The went for it on a 4th and 1 because they were pretty close to scoring and a kick wouldn't have made things much better. Well the opposing team held; tackling the runner on the LOS. When the opposing team took over on downs, the ref called a first and 9. NEVER seen that before or since.
Granny Bear Wrote:Four years ago HC was playing a team on THEIR field. The opposing team snapped the ball to their QB, and he threw a screen pass that was caught behind the LOS. The receiver, who was about to get obliterated, reared back and threw another pass down field. This scenario happened twice. The refs let both plays go, and told our coach that if a pass was caught behind the LOS, it was considered a lateral. Even though it was caught yards from the QB, it is still a lateral pass. I'll let you guys determine where that happened. Confusednicker:

Another time, our middle school team was playing away. The went for it on a 4th and 1 because they were pretty close to scoring and a kick wouldn't have made things much better. Well the opposing team held; tackling the runner on the LOS. When the opposing team took over on downs, the ref called a first and 9. NEVER seen that before or since.

If the screen pass was thrown backwards meaning that the receiver caught the ball behind the yard line where the qb threw the ball then it was legal. If not then you got an illegal forward pass. Pass behind los has nothing to do with it. Only if it was forward or backward. If first pass was forward it was illegal and if the first pass was backward the play was legal. On the 1st and 9 deal, the was probably more of a chain issue than referee issue. You dont have to be an official to understand every change of possession starts with 1st and 10 unless the drive starts at the 10 or in and in that case its 1st and goal. It's possible have 1st and 9 if the 1st play you had a holding call 1 yard beyond the 1st down marker. You would move them back 10 yards from the spot and replay the down. Is that what happened?
Two weeks ago a QB broke a long run from his 3 yeard line and was caught from behind at their 12 and the defender knocked the ball loose and it went through the QB's endzone. The officials made the correct call originally as a touchback and gave the ball to the defense at the 20. Then three of the officials gathered and discussed the call and changed it to a safety! Coaches came out on the field and the umpire can be seen saying I don't know and then goes off the field to the locker room and gets the rule book and brings it back to the field. Play is interupted for 26 minutes while they decide to finally call it correctly like they had originally done. There was 9:30 left in the fourth quarter when this happened and it totally changed the game.
I was an assistant coach at Wburg( very very young ) in the early 80’s playing at Cumberland. The officials made Williamsburg go 86 yards in 4 downs in OT after we intercepted a pass in the end zone and ran it out to the 14. Cumberland ended up winning the game in 2nd OT. That play actually helped change the rule the next year or 2 to ball being dead after a turnover in OT.
pirateforlife Wrote:If the screen pass was thrown backwards meaning that the receiver caught the ball behind the yard line where the qb threw the ball then it was legal. If not then you got an illegal forward pass. Pass behind los has nothing to do with it. Only if it was forward or backward. If first pass was forward it was illegal and if the first pass was backward the play was legal. On the 1st and 9 deal, the was probably more of a chain issue than referee issue. You dont have to be an official to understand every change of possession starts with 1st and 10 unless the drive starts at the 10 or in and in that case its 1st and goal. It's possible have 1st and 9 if the 1st play you had a holding call 1 yard beyond the 1st down marker. You would move them back 10 yards from the spot and replay the down. Is that what happened?

No sweetheart. They threw two forward passes in two different plays. The reason I mentioned the LOS is that's how the ref explained it. According to the, it is always lateral if the pass is caught behind the LOS. It's funny to me now, but I was foaming at the mouth during the game! Confusednicker:
Granny Bear Wrote:No sweetheart. They threw two forward passes in two different plays. The reason I mentioned the LOS is that's how the ref explained it. According to the, it is always lateral if the pass is caught behind the LOS. It's funny to me now, but I was foaming at the mouth during the game! Confusednicker:

Okay. Not sure why you had to be smart alec about it. Please dont call me sweetheart.