Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Johnson Central vs. Letcher County Central (10/25)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Golden Eagles will travel U.S. 23 South on Friday night to Letcher County for a district game vs. the Cougars of LCC.

This will be the first meeting between JC & LCC. In case you don't know Fleming-Neon, Letcher & Whitesburg consolidated to make LCC.

JC did not play Fleming-Neon or Letcher (Not LCC) in a varsity contest.

JC has 1-3 record vs. Whitesburg.
1972: Whitesburg 28-6
1973: Whitesburg 13-12
1974: Whitesburg 12-0
2004: Johnson Central 42-0 (This was the first game of the Matney era @ JC.)
This will get ugly quick. Eagles roll on.
Johnson Central big
Johnson Central names the score in this one. Matney kept his starters in for most of the game this Friday night but I’d expect to see some younger kids get some valuable field time this week.
Scoop Wrote:Johnson Central names the score in this one. Matney kept his starters in for most of the game this Friday night but I’d expect to see some younger kids get some valuable field time this week.

I don't know his reasons for doing that.... but if I had to guess, it's because Harlan County had a player that tried to start a small scuffle after a JC score. The Harlan County game seemed to have a lot of one-sided chippy plays.
It was said he did not pull the starters since Harlan did not pull theirs. Was afraid for getting the smaller guys hurt.
I would not have pulled my starters either. When a good team leaves their starters in until the end you have to be protective of your younger players. And yes, I consider Harlan County to be a good team. They would beat most teams in this area.
To be clear..I was not complaining about our starters staying in, just providing information. :-) And yes, Harlan is a good team for sure.
Johnson - 56
Letcher - 7
JC shouldn’t have a problem in this one. They need to get some work in though. Work on some new things and get tightened up for a playoff run.
If you want to get quality work in for your starters, put together a decent schedule. I mean if your good play good teams, if you’re not good play a weaker schedule. Matney loves those running clocks though.
Warrior 2002 Wrote:If you want to get quality work in for your starters, put together a decent schedule. I mean if your good play good teams, if you’re not good play a weaker schedule. Matney loves those running clocks though.

You mad Bro? Why all the hate?
Not close at all, Johnson rolls!
Johnson Central 55
Letcher Central 6
Johnson Central 63
Letcher County Central 06
Warrior 2002 Wrote:If you want to get quality work in for your starters, put together a decent schedule. I mean if your good play good teams, if you’re not good play a weaker schedule. Matney loves those running clocks though.

I tend to agree with this in general but some programs cannot find teams to play them. I know for a fact that JC is one of a handful of teams in this situation. I'm quite sure Matney would rather not have to travel to WV to play games.
The clock is already running. JC wins big and by as much as they want.

Sheesh!!!! Talk about upset. Listen, I don’t care who anyone plays to be honest. JC is a good team and has a great program. Why all the hate? Who do you suggest JC play? They are locked into their district. SK is a 6a school along with HC (I know HC is 0-7). They play Belfry every year and Capital is usually highly ranked in WV. C’mon man who would like for them to schedule? Trinity, Cov Cath, FD, etc. Let us know
DirtyWompus Wrote:Sheesh!!!! Talk about upset. Listen, I don’t care who anyone plays to be honest. JC is a good team and has a great program. Why all the hate? Who do you suggest JC play? They are locked into their district. SK is a 6a school along with HC (I know HC is 0-7). They play Belfry every year and Capital is usually highly ranked in WV. C’mon man who would like for them to schedule? Trinity, Cov Cath, FD, etc. Let us know

This guy was originally from Martin Co. where Matney wouldn't let him play and after all these years he cant get over that...

You cant pay one second of attention to anything he says.
Lcc.
Tic Tock Eagles soar
The Eagle Express keeps on chugging. Kroger Field the final stop?
Why does Letcher not produce quality teams?
Real Badman Wrote:Why does Letcher not produce quality teams?

Whitesburg is a dying town in my opinion.
The enrollment at lcc, a combination of whitesburg, neon, and letcher high schools is smaller than the enrollment was at whitesburg high school in the mid 90's. So yes that's a problem. But lcc has other problems also.
Oldjacket2019 Wrote:The enrollment at lcc, a combination of whitesburg, neon, and letcher high schools is smaller than the enrollment was at whitesburg high school in the mid 90's. So yes that's a problem. But lcc has other problems also.

I’ve heard that their coach is a problem and also I hear it’s more than one of them. Letcher doesn’t go out and hire anyone from outside the county. They have quit doing that but whenever they had Robert Hammonds and they also at one time had Hilliard Howard. Letcher has just gone done hill with who they hire now and that’s the main source of the problems is what the word is