Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: So Belfry....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has another bye week and their RPI drops from .650 to .638. This is understandable because even though Pikeville and Lexington Christian won, other teams lost. However, all week it has been at .638 until today it goes to .632. This thing makes my head hurt and I understand how it works, but I don't understand how it works lol.
Does it ever get locked in during the week? and after the final regular season game, when does it lock in?
Why does Belfry have another bye week?
Because nobody will play them.
FoSho Wrote:Because nobody will play them.

Noted!

Imagine being so well-respected and feared that you can't fill a schedule unless you want to travel? A blessing and a curse and in this instance it is a curse with playoffs around the corner and needing to get Dixon's feet wet after not playing pretty much the majority of the season.
I was talking about last week. That made two for the season and only a 9 game schedule.
I think the reason RPI dropped was because of the opponents' opponents thing. Belfry's first opponent of the season, Southwestern played North Laurel also since the Belfry game. North Laurel lost tonight to Whitley County so I assume this is why their rpi went down. Would have went up if NL had won. North Laurel is one of Belfry's opponents' opponent.
Once the RPI comes out after all regular season games are played it will not change. Playoff games will not affect rpi.
The RPI can definitely make you scratch your head. Johnson Central beat Perry Central last Friday and their RPI dropped 13 points. Perry Central gained 30 points with the loss,but by adding Johnson Central’s winning percentage to their opponents winning percentage it was a major boost for their RPI. Hopefully once teams realize just how important the opponents winning percentage is, and that it will help them, even if they don’t win by scheduling better teams, it will help teams like JC and Belfry complete an instate schedule.
Spud6 Wrote:Noted!

Imagine being so well-respected and feared that you can't fill a schedule unless you want to travel? A blessing and a curse and in this instance it is a curse with playoffs around the corner and needing to get Dixon's feet wet after not playing pretty much the majority of the season.

I know what it's like to have a hard time finding teams to play you. It's sad really.

Bad news for the rest of 3A is Belfry ain't going anywhere...but Lexington.
pirateforlife Wrote:Once the RPI comes out after all regular season games are played it will not change. Playoff games will not affect rpi.

Yes we know it will not change. What I was wondering is why it would change today after it had been one number all week. This was before the game tonight.
Honestly. I have no clue then. Doesn't make any sense. Does opponents and opponents' opponents not calculate into rpi until after you've actually played the team? Like for example, is Pike Central and Johnson Central's record and their opponents already calculated into the rpi even though they've not played them yet?
pirateforlife Wrote:Honestly. I have no clue then. Doesn't make any sense. Does opponents and opponents' opponents not calculate into rpi until after you've actually played the team? Like for example, is Pike Central and Johnson Central's record and their opponents already calculated into the rpi even though they've not played them yet?

I think the answer to this is "yes" which is why it is always in flux.
pirateforlife Wrote:Honestly. I have no clue then. Doesn't make any sense. Does opponents and opponents' opponents not calculate into rpi until after you've actually played the team? Like for example, is Pike Central and Johnson Central's record and their opponents already calculated into the rpi even though they've not played them yet?
No it couldn’t be. That’s why Perry Centrals RPI gained 30 points last week after their game with Johnson Central was complete.
Yep you don't get the boost from a team with a great RPI unitl you play them. For instance, Belfry's highest RPI was .680 right after the Pikeville game even though Belfry lost. Depending on what happens the next two weeks, Belfry could get right back up to that level if they win against LC and PC and then play JC, which will have a high RPI. If Belfry beats JC, then they get the boost also from JC being a 4 a school. They don't have to beat them to get the boost, but it will make the overall RPI better because Belfry will have won.
They're right, doesn't calculate yet but here is the breakdown of Belfrys RPI.

https://khsaa.org/rpi_details/?team_id=81539
bucslover68 Wrote:I was talking about last week. That made two for the season and only a 9 game schedule.

The 9 game schedule is going to hurt.
I saw they went ahead and made the rest of Jenkins’ games losses and it showed up on Pikeville’s schedule so that might play a part.
Hatz Wrote:The 9 game schedule is going to hurt.

Yep... and this .500 RPI for out of state teams is becoming more and more troublesome as the numbers sort out.

For example in the eyes of the RPI Belfry playing a GCL team in Alter, OH would be more beneficial if they played:
Lawrence County or Garrard County

Furthermore, if you play an Out of State team and lose it is equal to losing to a very average team.

Belfry could have picked up an 0-10 1A team from West Virginia and by beating them it would have gave Belfry substantially more points than travelling to Columbus and losing to an Ohio heavyweight program.
I'm just too old school. To me, this RPI stuff is nuts. In my opinion there was nothing wrong with an even number of districts and regions, and alternating even and odd years with seeding for game sites. Then you had an east vs. west game for the championship.

I never cared that sometimes the better team(s) were our earlier because of this. I think regional representation is more important for high school. That's one reason the Sweet Sixteen is still one of the better high school events. There are easily Top 16-ranked teams that don't make the Sweet Sixteen because of this reason. Effectively each part of the state is represented, and kids know they have a shot if they can just win their region, instead of polls or some type of RPI system that keeps them out.

This is one reason we now have a college football "playoff". Polls (and pressure) generally kept Power 5 conference schools in the title game. Now at least others have a chance to break thru, although it is still challenging to do so.
bucslover68 Wrote:Has another bye week and their RPI drops from .650 to .638. This is understandable because even though Pikeville and Lexington Christian won, other teams lost. However, all week it has been at .638 until today it goes to .632. This thing makes my head hurt and I understand how it works, but I don't understand how it works lol.

It very well may have been because the Jenkins/Pikeville forfeit was just updated by the KHSAA. The policy says it can be updated “hourly”
Spud6 Wrote:Noted!

Mayfield had to pick up a game with a team in Memphis. Union City is 30 miles away and they dropped us. When we restarted the series Union City was a two time defending champion. We beat them 2 years straight. Tennessee schools don't like that.
Someone told me that you could have a higher overall RPI if you went 0-10 but all teams you played went 10-0 versus going 10-0 and all teams you played going 0-10. Not possible with district games but it is possible to have all non-district opponents be undefeated. Like say Pikeville played a team like Jenkins every game and went undefeated with the schedule, their rpi would actually be lower than if they were playing Male, FD, Cov cath, Bell, Breathitt, or any other undefeated team in the state and went 0-10.
Hurricane Storm Wrote:I'm just too old school. To me, this RPI stuff is nuts. In my opinion there was nothing wrong with an even number of districts and regions, and alternating even and odd years with seeding for game sites. Then you had an east vs. west game for the championship.

I never cared that sometimes the better team(s) were our earlier because of this. I think regional representation is more important for high school. That's one reason the Sweet Sixteen is still one of the better high school events. There are easily Top 16-ranked teams that don't make the Sweet Sixteen because of this reason. Effectively each part of the state is represented, and kids know they have a shot if they can just win their region, instead of polls or some type of RPI system that keeps them out.

This is one reason we now have a college football "playoff". Polls (and pressure) generally kept Power 5 conference schools in the title game. Now at least others have a chance to break thru, although it is still challenging to do so.
amen
pirateforlife Wrote:Someone told me that you could have a higher overall RPI if you went 0-10 but all teams you played went 10-0 versus going 10-0 and all teams you played going 0-10. Not possible with district games but it is possible to have all non-district opponents be undefeated. Like say Pikeville played a team like Jenkins every game and went undefeated with the schedule, their rpi would actually be lower than if they were playing Male, FD, Cov cath, Bell, Breathitt, or any other undefeated team in the state and went 0-10.

From what I have seen that is not accurate.

Winning reigns supreme in this system.

Look at Bell County's numbers, they currently have the highest RPI in 3A:
- Their OWP (Opponents win Percentage) is the 6th lowest in all of 3A Schools, only ahead of powerhouses like Pendleton County, Webster County, Hart County, Jackson County, and Henry County)

Where Bell makes up for it is they have the best WP as the last remaining undefeated 3A team and they also have a very high OOWP (Opponent's opponents win percentage).

Basically Bell is winning every game against teams who lost often to teams who win a lot of games.
Hambley Wrote:It very well may have been because the Jenkins/Pikeville forfeit was just updated by the KHSAA. The policy says it can be updated “hourly”

Yes that looks like what has happened.
Well I guess I was told wrong then. I don't really keep up with rpi. It's too confusing and hard to understand for me. Best teams will win no matter where games are played 9/10 times.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:From what I have seen that is not accurate.

Winning reigns supreme in this system.

Look at Bell County's numbers, they currently have the highest RPI in 3A:
- Their OWP (Opponents win Percentage) is the 6th lowest in all of 3A Schools, only ahead of powerhouses like Pendleton County, Webster County, Hart County, Jackson County, and Henry County)

Where Bell makes up for it is they have the best WP as the last remaining undefeated 3A team and they also have a very high OOWP (Opponent's opponents win percentage).

Basically Bell is winning every game against teams who lost often to teams who win a lot of games.
I'm starting to question why opponents opponents are even included in the formula. Or at least drop it to like 5% as a form of tie breaker.
Iam4thecats Wrote:I'm starting to question why opponents opponents are even included in the formula. Or at least drop it to like 5% as a form of tie breaker.

I dont mind it being a factor, but there is no way it should be an equal part of the equation to OWP.

I think being worth half the 25% the value of OWP is fitting.

Just because the team you beat got running clocked by 6 other good teams does not reflect that they are a good team.

Bell County is a good case study on this actually.

South Laurel (2-5) gets more credit than they deserve. They have been
outscored in those 5 losses 74-240, an average final score of 48-15. It just so happened those 5 teams are a combined 29-9 that beat them so they give an inflated RPI value.

Rockcastle County (4-3) also is over inflated in this calculation. Their three losses were to teams that are 19-1, but those three losses were by an average of 47-11.

If there was a power component to OOWP I would buy it more as being equal.
Maybe they can add something to the equation that takes into account margin of victory as well. 1-9 point margin, 10-19, 20-29, and 30+ margin. For example, Belfry should be able to somehow receive more RPI points because they only lost by 1 to pikeville compared to Bardstown who lost by 22. Same with Trinitys loss to Male. They lost in OT by 3. A lot different than most teams who grtti g running clock put on them 1st half. We need some way to take this into the equation.