Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Movie Download Poll
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have you ever downloaded a movie illegally from the internet? Using iTunes is considered legal, so I am talking about using a file sharing program or something similar.

Poll above is private, so no one's answers will be associated with their username.
Never downloaded a movie from the internet at all. Not worth the time and effort it takes. I won't even go to the movies much. If it something that really interests me I will rent it when it comes out and if I really enjoy it I will go out and buy it.
Here is an interesting question.

Some of my family members will go buy a movie for their kids. When they get it home they immediately make a copy of it, put the copy in the case and put the original up somewhere that it is safe. The kids are 6 and 8 and they tell me they do this to keep from getting the original movie scratched up. I understand why they do it but is it considered illegal or not?

What is everyones opinion on this?
Midee1 Wrote:Here is an interesting question.

Some of my family members will go buy a movie for their kids. When they get it home they immediately make a copy of it, put the copy in the case and put the original up somewhere that it is safe. The kids are 6 and 8 and they tell me they do this to keep from getting the original movie scratched up. I understand why they do it but is it considered illegal or not?

What is everyones opinion on this?

That is considered legal Midee. You are allowed to make copies of anything you purchase to use as backups. However, you're not allowed to distribute them.
I always buy my movie ticket or rent my movies.
I buy all my movies from pawnshops. $2 or $3 a piece. I do notice going through there that about 5% of the movies at the pawnshop are copies. I would buy them, but I have a poor dvd player and it won't play burns, so I only purchase originals.
ComfortEagle Wrote:That is considered legal Midee. You are allowed to make copies of anything you purchase to use as backups. However, you're not allowed to distribute them.

Also, although you own the movie, you are not allowed to show the film in a large setting and charge money to folks that see it or sell anything at a gathering of friends/patrons watching the movie you own.

I buy my movies from DishNetwork...Just rent the movie and then I record it to my DVR while watching it...I can view it later and take a video/audio feed out and record it to my computer and burn a DVD of it. Not that I have ever done that. Cool

I don't sell them though and never will.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Also, although you own the movie, you are not allowed to show the film in a large setting and charge money to folks that see it or sell anything at a gathering of friends/patrons watching the movie you own.

I buy my movies from DishNetwork...Just rent the movie and then I record it to my DVR while watching it...I can view it later and take a video/audio feed out and record it to my computer and burn a DVD of it. Not that I have ever done that. Cool

I don't sell them though and never will.

I don't know about Dish, but I work for DirecTV. Our newest receivers have a download that is actually starting to cut back on those types of actions. If you order a PPV and record it to your DVR, when you try to play it back if will give you a message of "copyright infringement"
I never have the time to download a movie so I awlays go to the movies with friends.
I use iTunes or just rent the movie.
Tomcat68 Wrote:I don't know about Dish, but I work for DirecTV. Our newest receivers have a download that is actually starting to cut back on those types of actions. If you order a PPV and record it to your DVR, when you try to play it back if will give you a message of "copyright infringement"

Ouch!! It may be that way now with Dish because it's been quite sometime since I tried that stunt.

My wife bought me an RCA video player for my birthday earlier this year and I could record television in realtime onto the player and events I recorded previously. But if I tried to play a DVD and record it at the sametime, the player would shut down. That kills me. I own the DVD, but I couldn't put it on the player to watch later. I don't like the limitations of copywrite stuff. It's the movie (and music) industry afraid that the VCR (tape recorder) is going to kill them and now they are afraid of the new technology in the same way.