Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Teen Faces Charges For Recording 20-Second Movie Clip
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This 19 yo girl recorded 20 secs of transformers on her mini digital camera to show her brother. Now could be facing 1 year in prison and fines.

What is this world coming to?

http://www.nbc4.com/news/13805967/detail...c&psp=news
Wow that is some stupid stuff.
Lord have mercy... what could she have done with 20 seconds worth of a movie.... that is crazy!!!
Lock her up and throw away the key. People like her are the most harmful to society!

Smile j/k of course. That is pretty stupid, but I bet they'll settle it out before she goes to trial.
this is the most stupidest thing iv ever heard.
Thats pretty insane right there. How did they know she recorded it?
alfus21 Wrote:Lock her up and throw away the key. People like her are the most harmful to society!

Smile j/k of course. That is pretty stupid, but I bet they'll settle it out before she goes to trial.

LMAO!!!!^^^^^
Pitiful. Did they warn her first or anything?
They probably used the taser on her to get her to stop recording...
Granted it is stupid, it is still the law that you can't record movies. Whether it be 20 seconds or the whole 2 hours, it is still against the law and I'm sure she knew that. This might be taking it a little overboard and I'm sure she will not have to spend time in Jail for this. Pirated movies are a big problem these days and the film industry has to take care o itself.
Why don't they just confiscate the tape? Seems to me that that would be more of a warning then anything. I just don't like the fact that she can be punished that seriously without warning her of the act (and yes I am sure she knew).
Thats crazy.
Anybody know if they used the taser?
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Why don't they just confiscate the tape? Seems to me that that would be more of a warning then anything. I just don't like the fact that she can be punished that seriously without warning her of the act (and yes I am sure she knew).
True, maybe she does just need a warning and I would say that is all she gets. Probably loss of the tape and some community service with the small possibility of a fine. But she will not see time for this I wouldn't think. That is just the most that she can get.

Where does one draw the line for people that have broken the law between just a strong warning and actually punishing them? Do you only warn the first time someone speeds, petty theft, major robbery, murder? Basically, why would she deserve a warning when other crimes do not get one too?
Beef Wrote:True, maybe she does just need a warning and I would say that is all she gets. Probably loss of the tape and some community service with the small possibility of a fine. But she will not see time for this I wouldn't think. That is just the most that she can get.

Where does one draw the line for people that have broken the law between just a strong warning and actually punishing them? Do you only warn the first time someone speeds, petty theft, major robbery, murder? Basically, why would she deserve a warning when other crimes do not get one too?

Well it doesnt matter if she knew or not. This is really going to be a judgment call by who ever caught her. I want to know how they caught her to start with because lord knows theses people who work there worry to much about loafing in the lobby then being there when you need they. Like for instance when you have a group that is just rude and crap and not anyone in sight to shut them up.
I don't even think that you could compare this incident with a burglary, murdur, etc. on giving her a warning. To me those are not even comparable. Why not give her a warning? It was only 20 seconds. I understand that she did break the law, but aren't there more things that need to be in our judicial system besides this case? I'm sure if they looked around in the area that she is from, they could find someone who has a whole stash of the Transformers DVD's ready for sale. Plus I know that I've got plenty of warnings when I was speeding.
Piracy is a serious issue among the recording industry and now the movie industry. You can find on any street in New York, or any downloading site on the internet, hundreds of movies that can be downloaded illegally. Sometimes, when movies are premiered outside of the US, you can even download the movies before they come out in theaters. It's a serious problem, because a lot of people are just downloading them and burning them to a DVD.

Why do you think ticket sales are so much higher now? Partly, due to the business theaters have lost from things like this.

Now I know she wasn't recording the whole movie, and it was just a 20 second clip, but it is still illegal, and the reason they are giving her a hard time is because they are trying to make a point to anyone else considering doing the same thing.

They want to show people......we will catch you....and this is what will happen to you.
this is complete BS i hope i don't get fined ha ha.
Beef Wrote:True, maybe she does just need a warning and I would say that is all she gets. Probably loss of the tape and some community service with the small possibility of a fine. But she will not see time for this I wouldn't think. That is just the most that she can get.

This issue is about the almighty dollar for the movie industry and I just don't think it is no where close to being a act that is punishable without warning. There is a line but when the only thing that stands in the way of illegal act is the camera...just take the camera or the tape, not jail time.
Beef Wrote:Granted it is stupid, it is still the law that you can't record movies. Whether it be 20 seconds or the whole 2 hours, it is still against the law and I'm sure she knew that. This might be taking it a little overboard and I'm sure she will not have to spend time in Jail for this. Pirated movies are a big problem these days and the film industry has to take care o itself.
I see your point but this is crazy. There are drug dealers,muderers,rapists,and child molesters out on the street and the people who should be after these scum bags are too busy trying to throw the book at a 19 year old girl. I agree she broke the law and must be punished but sentence her to 20 hours of community service and be done with it.
This is stupid. Hell, her little brother may have liked what he seen and then went to see the movie. I bet he doesn't now. lol
Still trailors are out there so what would 20 seconds hurt?
It is funny, my Brother and I saw a movie today and for the first time that I have noticed the ushers checked the rows for people that could be videotaping. It reminded me of this stroy.