Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Building a successful program
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm wondering how these teams that just reload year after year do it? Are they learning the system in grade school and are ready to go when they get to highschool? Any information would be helpful. Thanks !
Stability in the coaching staff is important. If you get a good coach and staff, do what you have to do to keep them and even more importantly, let them coach without all the outside parental distractions that some overbearing parents who think they have some influence can cause. And, yes, learning the system from the elementary level is also important. By the time those kids get to HS, they know the playbook and been playing in it for 5 or 6 years..
I think you are 100 percent right.. here at our school we have none of that. And it needs to change. Parent interference, the middle school coaches doing what they want, not running the same offense or defense. We have good athletes coming through year after year, but never can put together a great run of good seasons. Becno one is on the same page.
Most of the elementary and middle school coaches at Mayfield work hand in hand with the varsity coaches and if those guys try to do there own thing, they don't last long. Plus, the parents let the coaches do there thing. They support the team, but, they no better than to cross that line. Mayfield also has 1 elementary team that travels and plays other teams that have the same. It makes a difference when those kids have all played together since 3rd or 4th grade. Just much more continuity. I think Mayfield's had 3 head coaches since like 1970 and 2 of those 3 are father and son.

At Graves Co HS, which is in Mayfield also, they have several teams from all the small county communities that have schools playing elementary football. There's Farmington, Symsonia, Lowes, Cuba, Sedalia, Wingo and Central.. One team runs the wishbone, one runs a spread, one runs a 2 back set, etc.. Then they get to HS and they have to learn an all new system, which also changes about every other year because they're changing coaches so often, and the reason is because this Daddy or that Daddy thinks they rule the roost and can tell the coaches what to run, who to play, etc.. There's so much potential for them to be better.
Ashland under Coach Hart started at the JFL level. Ashland’s JFL teams all ran the same Offense and Defense that the kids watch every Friday Night and I believe it’s carried over with Coach Love. They also have the luxury of having enough teams in the JFL to play only against other Ashland JFL teams. Having 6 or 8 JFL teams instead of just a few means you are developing 6-8 QBs 12 to 24 RBs etc etc. Also having current players involved with the JFL program helps. High school players run the chains and mentor and talk too the JFL kids weekly.