Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Breathitt County Baseball (John Turner)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What is Breathitt County waiting on?

Breathitt has a great baseball mind right in their back yard. It’s time to pull the trigger and hire John Turner. 4 district titles at JCS is no small feat and with Breathitt’s roster being loaded with young impact players, regional titles are just one coach away.

Make the short trip to Panbowl and let’s get John Turner back in the dugout!
I agree with Night Train best man for the job. BHS needs to make it happen. It would be a complete mistake to not hire him.
Night Train Wrote:What is Breathitt County waiting on?

Breathitt has a great baseball mind right in their back yard. It’s time to pull the trigger and hire John Turner. 4 district titles at JCS is no small feat and with Breathitt’s roster being loaded with young impact players, regional titles are just one coach away.

Make the short trip to Panbowl and let’s get John Turner back in the dugout!

Slow down there, big guy. How many Region tournament games did he win in those years? It's not about district titles unless you make some noise in the big tournament.
Breathitt needs to find someone that will be loyal to the program and not be looking to leave. A couple of the last hires have already jumped ship. Bring in someone who will stay.
jumpshooter Wrote:Slow down there, big guy. How many Region tournament games did he win in those years? It's not about district titles unless you make some noise in the big tournament.

I agree. How much weight does winning arguably the worst baseball district in the state of KY, in one of the worst baseball regions carry? No regional titles since 1978 among it's current members. TeWayne definitely had the program on the rise, now he is at the largest school in the 14th, Hazard is Hazard. Estill and KCC are very talented and well-coached. Powell and LCC have larger enrollments and are in good hands now. BC has some talent, but they'll always be 3rd on campus behind football and basketball.
Didn't he jump ship from Jackson City to go after a title as an assistant at PCC?
catsrule Wrote:Didn't he jump ship from Jackson City to go after a title as an assistant at PCC?

No he didn’t. Youngest son wanted a move to PCC after the older two brothers graduated. So he went with his son like most would. Wasn’t chasing an assistant job from what I understand
rawlingsfan Wrote:I agree. How much weight does winning arguably the worst baseball district in the state of KY, in one of the worst baseball regions carry? No regional titles since 1978 among it's current members. TeWayne definitely had the program on the rise, now he is at the largest school in the 14th, Hazard is Hazard. Estill and KCC are very talented and well-coached. Powell and LCC have larger enrollments and are in good hands now. BC has some talent, but they'll always be 3rd on campus behind football and basketball.

...and rumors are that the District is about to get worse. I'm hearing Jackson doesn't have enough kids or finances to have a baseball team for 2020. Transportation cutbacks already occurring for sports teams.
How many does Jackson have in high school? Hard to believe there are still two schools less than a half mile from each other.
Maybe 50ish?

I would like to see Buckhorn come down into the 55th.
I think there were 80 last year.
If you take Buckhorn out, it leaves only three schools in the 54th.
With Riverside, Jackson, JBS, Riverside and others not fielding teams at times it gets tricky to have decent tournaments. The 14th should add a couple of teams.
Jackson City is around 95 or so students 9-12 I do believe. As for the baseball team rumor that is not true , the baseball coach is actually looking forward to next season adding a few younger players and only losing 1 senior. As for the travel
Cut backs, this isn’t the first time a smaller school has used some conservative tactics in a year. I don’t think JCS and it’s supporters will be in a hurry to to close or anything else considering they are the 3rd ranked school Academically in the entire state of Kentucky. Now back to the topic at hand, is John Turner a done deal at Breathitt?
I think the actual number is 91. (more than I thought). I'm sure there is a little worry about having enough to play this season. They only dressed 10 or so last year. And if they graduated 1, that only leaves 9. As far as younger players go, I just don't see many coming out. But maybe I'm wrong.

Congrats on your academic success. But it's hard to compare schools with such a difference in student numbers. Only having 20 seniors definitely makes it easier.
catsrule Wrote:I think the actual number is 91. (more than I thought). I'm sure there is a little worry about having enough to play this season. They only dressed 10 or so last year. And if they graduated 1, that only leaves 9. As far as younger players go, I just don't see many coming out. But maybe I'm wrong.

Congrats on your academic success. But it's hard to compare schools with such a difference in student numbers. Only having 20 seniors definitely makes it easier.

Zero worry, and actually a smaller student population means less room for error.
I hope you're right. But not what I'm hearing. Word around the soccer pitch last night was their best player may not play, and if he does, he wont be pitching. IDK, just repeating what I've heard.

I understand about the less room for error but you have to see it's easier to get 20 ready for a test than it is 200.
catsrule Wrote:I hope you're right. But not what I'm hearing. Word around the soccer pitch last night was their best player may not play, and if he does, he wont be pitching. IDK, just repeating what I've heard.

I understand about the less room for error but you have to see it's easier to get 20 ready for a test than it is 200.

If it was so easy, the top 25 would be full of small schools.
I didn't say it was easy, just EASIER. And I've not seen the rankings, but I'd bet most of the top are either...…… small schools, magnet schools, private schools or independent schools.
And that's not taking anything away from Jackson City. Glad to see a 14th region school in the top of the state.
Jackson City will have a baseball team this year. There coaches and players are ready to get started. They will surprise some people this year.
Pretty obvious who you are chump are you really that jealous of a small school
Yep. Lol
This isn’t a spelling bee guys. If Breathitt wants to make a good hire there’s only one choice and that’s John Turner
Only JCS would turn this thread into an Academic meet lol. John Turner has been offered the Breathitt job.

Will he lace up the cleats again?
I heard that former coach Justin Combs has shown some interest. And at least 1 teacher I spoke to, said he would be the next coach.
catsrule Wrote:I heard that former coach Justin Combs has shown some interest. And at least 1 teacher I spoke to, said he would be the next coach.

Justin Combs the football coach? Looks like Breathitt is back to its old tricks only worried about being a football school
I think hiring Combs would be a mistake, Breathitt is moving in the right direction but need to find someone that is focused on Baseball.
Biggest troll move ever. John Turner pulls a Rick Pitino. He leaves (Little Brother) JCS and ends up at (Big Brother) Breathitt. The stars are aligning
Blue Lips Wrote:Biggest troll move ever. John Turner pulls a Rick Pitino. He leaves (Little Brother) JCS and ends up at (Big Brother) Breathitt. The stars are aligning

I thought Turner had been out of coaching for a couple years. Did he coach at JC last year?
I think he was an assistant at PCC 2 years ago. And didn't do any coaching last year.
Heck of a hire for Breathitt if they are interested
Pages: 1 2