Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: BluegrassSportsTalk: Episode 3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This week I didn't have an episode release Monday like previously but I did get a chance to talk with Pikeville Panthers radio play by play guy JD Hughes about their match up with Raceland Friday night and got to really dive deep into his brain about what he thinks is holding Pikeville's offense back right now.

Then we talk to returning guest CowboyDad about his briar jumpers and that new field that I forgot to ask him about in the first episode. He even took us to history class on how the jumpers got their name.

And finally we follow up with Patriots1 about his Panthers going up against his Alma Mater at Pond Creek this Friday night. Always fun talking to him and letting him tell stories about the infamous "Whiskey Knob" over there in Belfry and so much more!

Hope you all enjoy and I cant thank these guys enough for coming on and taking their time to talk with me about their schools.

And if you all would like to see your team represented on the podcast. Feel free to message me and we will set something up. I would love to cover as many teams as possible as I can.

https://bluegrasssportstalk.podbean.com/
Love your work Spud!
Me too!!!
Thank you all!
Wow, wow,wow :Cheerlead Spud i loved the show :Cheerlead
Thanks 64! Had a lot of fun with it
Doing a great job SPUD6. Fantastic idea and really enjoyed the show tonight.
Spud6 Wrote:This week I didn't have an episode release Monday like previously but I did get a chance to talk with Pikeville Panthers radio play by play guy JD Hughes about their match up with Raceland Friday night and got to really dive deep into his brain about what he thinks is holding Pikeville's offense back right now.

Then we talk to returning guest CowboyDad about his briar jumpers and that new field that I forgot to ask him about in the first episode. He even took us to history class on how the jumpers got their name.

And finally we follow up with Patriots1 about his Panthers going up against his Alma Mater at Pond Creek this Friday night. Always fun talking to him and letting him tell stories about the infamous "Whiskey Knob" over there in Belfry and so much more!

Hope you all enjoy and I cant thank these guys enough for coming on and taking their time to talk with me about their schools.

And if you all would like to see your team represented on the podcast. Feel free to message me and we will set something up. I would love to cover as many teams as possible as I can.

https://bluegrasssportstalk.podbean.com/

Thanks for sharing.
Spud you are taking BGR to the next level. I hope Jetpilot doesn't melt down while on air.
Here you go, CowboyDad. Not going to check your history, I'll just post the story. :biggrin:

Louisville High School is the school that would eventually become Louisville Male. Three players on that Somerset team were named All-Americans.

Somerset Briar Jumpers, THIS IS OUR "FOOTBALL LEGEND"

The Somerset High School Team that took the field on that Saturday in October 1916, was optimistic, even though they had been greeted by 700 fans of the Louisville High School, with accompanying good nature jeers and shouted predictions of the gruesome fate they were going to encounter. The Louisville Boys High School had established an impressive record and was predicted to win the game by several touchdowns. Much to blue-clad Louisville's surprise, that purple and gold Somerset team showed NO MERCY. When the last play had been played, and that last whistle sounded, the score board displayed the unbelievable score of SOMERSET 51, LOUISVILLE 6. The tale of that days events were fully described in Louisville papers for days to come. The story, told in simple terms, is that a certain young man by the name of "Gooch", a sorrel topped mountaineer by the name of "Roberts", and a fully mature Irishman by the name of "McMillan" created high school football history on the banks of the Ohio. Louisville sportswriters were knocking themselves out trying to describe the drubbing that was perpetrated. One writer, Mr. Johnny Head, who had fully recovered from the shock, was frantically searching for some previous occurrence with which to compare the extraordinary athletic speed and skill used to evade Louisville tacklers. That is when he remembered the story of Uncle Remus, the briar patch, and the elusive ways the Somerset team had of getting around or evading, obstructions. He also remembered the expression "Bawn and bred in de briar patch". Immediately he christened the Somerset team "Briar Jumpers" because they too were quick, swift-footed, masters of evading obstructions - and "Briar Jumpers" at home in their "Briar Patch" it has been ever since.

Somerset Alumnus Bo McMillan quarterbacked the "Praying Colonels" in the greatest upset in college football history. In 1921, Centre College defeated Harvard 6-0 before 60,000 people at Harvard Stadium. Mighty Harvard had not lost a game in 5 seasons. McMillan scored a second half touchdown to make him the toast of "All America."
This was another great episode all the way around. Nice job, Spud.
Thanks west and what a story shamebo. Love hearing stories like that. Podcast has been a lot of fun for me being a football junkie. Looking forward to getting more and more teams represented on the podcast.
I wasn’t super close but sort of close. Thanks for the article! At least next time I para-phrase I won’t be totally off Big Grin Big Grin