Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hatfield / McCoy Bowl
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
WV won 22-14 after taking a 22-0 lead at the half.

Paul McCoy broke loose on a PR for about 70 yards for their final score after nearly being tackled for about a 5 yard gain; he also had a couple of runs of 30+. Ky almost got on the board in the first half, but their only deep penetration ended when a 4th down pass was caught on the sideline in the end zone and the kid didn't get his feet in (great call by the refs). Ky really didn't get their O in gear until the 4th quarter.

Pretty sloppy game except for the field and the cheerleaders, but that's expected after such a long layoff. Worst part was the PA guy announcing over and over that restrooms were located behind the scoreboard at the baseball diamond - but the ticket booth was located about 20 years BEFORE the facilities, and the ladies there said that NO ONE could re-enter. Clock operator was def. out of practice and the refs let a few DoGs slide in the 1st half before hitting Ky 3 or 4 times after the break. They also had about 10 plays that they barely got off in time. The O-line had a hard time against the WV D, but that may have been partly because they weren't always ready for the snaps.

On the bright side - the weather was perfect, there were no injury time outs, no one was ejected (see below), the game didn't end until the clock hit 0, and Miss WV was there.

(This is a copy of what I posted on a WV board this morning. I was corrected that PM WAS ejected late in the game for a "retalliation act" - but my view was partially blocked by fans leaving early. Also read that the Gilbert QB got hurt just before the half, which prob. kept their scoring down. And I'm pretty amazed that I've not found a newspaper story on it yet.)