Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Reds Rumors: Arroyo to Braves...LaRussa to Manage Reds?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From Buster Olney's blog on espn.com:

• Tony La Russa has been manager of the Cardinals for 12 years, and St. Louis chairman Bill DeWitt noted over the phone Tuesday that his contracts have been neat and consistent -- three-year deals, four of them. "Every time his contract has been in its last year, I've asked him -- how about a renewal?" DeWitt said. "And every time, he's said, 'You know, I'm going to wait until the end of the season. I think he just doesn't like doing a deal in advance. ... I'd like to do a deal with him now."
But DeWitt understands, and says he will talk to La Russa at season's end, again. "If he says he's fired up to come back, we'll negotiate an extension," said DeWitt. "This is a Hall of Fame manager. His record speaks for itself. ... He's been extremely important. His biggest asset is getting players to play as hard as they can. He's got this motto that you play nine innings every night, and good things happen."

I have a feeling, maybe it's more than a feeling, that the Reds will try to make a run at LaRussa after the season. What makes all this really intriguing is the relationship DeWitt has with Bob Castellini and Joe and Tom Williams. Would DeWitt give LaRussa permission to talk with the Reds?

LaRussa would be expensive, and he'd bring his coaching staff, which is expensive, too.

Olney's also got a Braves-Bronson Arroyo rumor posted. Chip Caray asked me last night if the Reds were going to trade Arroyo. I think they're listening. If the Braves are offering Jarrod Saltamacchia, they could go from talking to trading quickly.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/red...rumors.asp
jammin' jamey Wrote:From Buster Olney's blog on espn.com:

• Tony La Russa has been manager of the Cardinals for 12 years, and St. Louis chairman Bill DeWitt noted over the phone Tuesday that his contracts have been neat and consistent -- three-year deals, four of them. "Every time his contract has been in its last year, I've asked him -- how about a renewal?" DeWitt said. "And every time, he's said, 'You know, I'm going to wait until the end of the season. I think he just doesn't like doing a deal in advance. ... I'd like to do a deal with him now."
But DeWitt understands, and says he will talk to La Russa at season's end, again. "If he says he's fired up to come back, we'll negotiate an extension," said DeWitt. "This is a Hall of Fame manager. His record speaks for itself. ... He's been extremely important. His biggest asset is getting players to play as hard as they can. He's got this motto that you play nine innings every night, and good things happen."

I have a feeling, maybe it's more than a feeling, that the Reds will try to make a run at LaRussa after the season. What makes all this really intriguing is the relationship DeWitt has with Bob Castellini and Joe and Tom Williams. Would DeWitt give LaRussa permission to talk with the Reds?

LaRussa would be expensive, and he'd bring his coaching staff, which is expensive, too.

Olney's also got a Braves-Bronson Arroyo rumor posted. Chip Caray asked me last night if the Reds were going to trade Arroyo. I think they're listening. If the Braves are offering Jarrod Saltamacchia, they could go from talking to trading quickly.
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/red...rumors.asp

Wow! Didn't see that one coming. Thanks for the info!
Salty is goign to be a GREAT player...i dont want the braves to give him up, but McCan is there too, and he is phenomenal. I would like the trade for both clubs if the Braves could also squeeze a young reliever out of the deal.
Salty is going to be good, but that is the last thing that the Reds need to do is trade one of there few decent pitchers!!!
corndog23 Wrote:Salty is goign to be a GREAT player...i dont want the braves to give him up, but McCan is there too, and he is phenomenal. I would like the trade for both clubs if the Braves could also squeeze a young reliever out of the deal.

There is no way the Reds would give up Arroyo and throw in a reliever to boot. If there's been one thing they have been lacking all year, it's been reliable guys out of the bullpen. I just can't see the Reds giving up a young arm unless they got some pitching back in return.

The Braves may be dealing from a position where Salty is expendable, but the Reds have been desperate for good starting pitching for so long that I have a hard time seeing them trading Arroyo unless a team overpays for him. If Arroyo was indeed on the block, I believe they would have good offers from several clubs to consider.
If the Barves are offering Salty, I say we jump all over that deal. A lineup with Salty catching and Votto at first makes for a really strong lineup for next years club.
Tubby Hater Wrote:If the Barves are offering Salty, I say we jump all over that deal. A lineup with Salty catching and Votto at first makes for a really strong lineup for next years club.

OK, Salty would be a good guy to have in the lineup every day, but for a team that has struggled to develop pitching, I still think that the Reds should at least get back some pitching in the deal. Maybe we throw in a top hitting prospect (anybody but Jay Bruce), and the Braves throw in a top pitching prospect. That way, at least we would have replaced the pitching that would be lost from the organization by trading Arroyo.
Arroyo hasnt pitched as well this season as he did last season, and Salty is going to be a good player for the Braves. I wouldnt trade him for Arroyo at all and the Reds cant lose one of their key pitchers, although like I said he has struggled this year. Salty can play 1st when he isnt catching although the Braves just signed Franco and we all know he is a good player to be a hundred years old and will play first as well. I say deal Thorman and maybe Soriano for Stanton and a prospect. Thorman or Soriano havent been playing well at all. Braves need a really good 1st baseman and left fielder cause Diaz isnt that great. Havent the Reds been shopping Dunn?
More Cowbell Wrote:OK, Salty would be a good guy to have in the lineup every day, but for a team that has struggled to develop pitching, I still think that the Reds should at least get back some pitching in the deal. Maybe we throw in a top hitting prospect (anybody but Jay Bruce), and the Braves throw in a top pitching prospect. That way, at least we would have replaced the pitching that would be lost from the organization by trading Arroyo.

I agree.
I agree, Salty is going to be a great player, but the Reds still need pitching more than hitting. Like SF80 said, the Reds can't lose one of their key pitchers, and he still is the Reds' second best pitcher. Granted, he hasn't pitched as well this year as last, but don't be fooled by his 4-10 record, it hasn't been that bad.

Arroyo's ERA is around 4.50 right now, which would seem to equate with about a .500 record, but he has actually pitched much better than that. The ERA was inflated by 5 horrible starts between mid-May to mid-June (right after Narron had left him out for a 130 pitch start - idiot), and other than that that he has only given up more than 3 ER in 1 other start. That makes 14 out of 20 starts in which he has given up 3 ER or less, all but one of those in at least 6 innings, making them 'quality starts'. I know from watching most of their games on FSN Ohio that Arroyo has been a victim of atrocious run support this year, and should easily have 10-11 wins if the team scored for him like they do for Harang.

If you want to see how good he has been this season, go check his game log for the season. He has actually pitched just as many, if not more, good games this year than Harang!

The point of my rambling is that I think Arroyo is a way better pitcher than his record indicates, and I do not want to see the team give him up unless they get good young pitching back in return.
More Cowbell Wrote:I agree, Salty is going to be a great player, but the Reds still need pitching more than hitting. Like SF80 said, the Reds can't lose one of their key pitchers, and he still is the Reds' second best pitcher. Granted, he hasn't pitched as well this year as last, but don't be fooled by his 4-10 record, it hasn't been that bad.

Arroyo's ERA is around 4.50 right now, which would seem to equate with about a .500 record, but he has actually pitched much better than that. The ERA was inflated by 5 horrible starts between mid-May to mid-June (right after Narron had left him out for a 130 pitch start - idiot), and other than that that he has only given up more than 3 ER in 1 other start. That makes 14 out of 20 starts in which he has given up 3 ER or less, all but one of those in at least 6 innings, making them 'quality starts'. I know from watching most of their games on FSN Ohio that Arroyo has been a victim of atrocious run support this year, and should easily have 10-11 wins if the team scored for him like they do for Harang.

If you want to see how good he has been this season, go check his game log for the season. He has actually pitched just as many, if not more, good games this year than Harang!

The point of my rambling is that I think Arroyo is a way better pitcher than his record indicates, and I do not want to see the team give him up unless they get good young pitching back in return.

Could not agree more!! You hit it right on the head. Eventhough Arroyo has had some lackluster performances this season, he has been tormented by the lousey run support. 2-3runs given up should at least give the team a great chance to win. He has given the team a chance to win 70% of the time this year.
Plus he is such a good figure for the team from a public standpoint, I really hope he is not shipped out of Cincy.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Could not agree more!! You hit it right on the head. Eventhough Arroyo has had some lackluster performances this season, he has been tormented by the lousey run support. 2-3runs given up should at least give the team a great chance to win. He has given the team a chance to win 70% of the time this year.
Plus he is such a good figure for the team from a public standpoint, I really hope he is not shipped out of Cincy.

Thanks, I'm glad somebody agrees with me. I am tired of hearing people say Arroyo has pitched terrible this year just because of his W-L record, a very unreliable indicator of how well a pitcher has performed.

Just look at Roger Clemens' last season in Houston: 2.30 ERA, but only a 7-6 record. A Hall of Fame pitcher, with a record right around .500, all because of pitiful run support! No wonder he didn't re-sign with them this year! Wink
More Cowbell Wrote:Thanks, I'm glad somebody agrees with me. I am tired of hearing people say Arroyo has pitched terrible this year just because of his W-L record, a very unreliable indicator of how well a pitcher has performed.

Just look at Roger Clemens' last season in Houston: 2.30 ERA, but only a 7-6 record. A Hall of Fame pitcher, with a record right around .500, all because of pitiful run support! No wonder he didn't re-sign with them this year! Wink

Do you know his line this season? I just saw that he is like 2-6 but I think that he is once again getting no runs support. Anyways, it seems that Arroyo and Clemens is in the same situation. It is a true same because it is just luck.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Do you know his line this season? I just saw that he is like 2-6 but I think that he is once again getting no runs support. Anyways, it seems that Arroyo and Clemens is in the same situation. It is a true same because it is just luck.

Clemens' numbers this season: 2-4, 3.88 ERA

You're right, his record does not match the ERA, probably not getting great run support again.
More Cowbell Wrote:Clemens' numbers this season: 2-4, 3.88 ERA

You're right, his record does not match the ERA, probably not getting great run support again.

Thought so. It has been like that for him for years. bummer for the... Yanks? What am I saying!!!!
I love the reds but they are all about trading off the future
I was surprised by the Arroyo trade rumors like the rest of you guys...I wouldn't trade last year's Arroyo, but remember, he also led the league in innings pitched with 270 (a career high) and starts (35 total) and faced 992 hitters (2nd most in the NL) all last season. Maybe the Reds feel that his arm is tired or something is going to break? I'm speculating of course, based on how he faired earlier this season.

For the record, I like Salty behind the plate. I don't see him playing 1st base for the Reds because of Joey Votto waiting in the wings, unless Salty (a switch hitter) platoons with Votto next season at 1B and the Reds trade Scott Hatteberg before the deadline.
jammin' jamey Wrote:I was surprised by the Arroyo trade rumors like the rest of you guys...I wouldn't trade last year's Arroyo, but remember, he also led the league in innings pitched with 270 (a career high) and starts (35 total) and faced 992 hitters (2nd most in the NL) all last season. Maybe the Reds feel that his arm is tired or something is going to break? I'm speculating of course, based on how he faired earlier this season.

I hadn't thought of that. I guess that would be the only reason I would go along with trading Arroyo, if they thought he was getting ready to break down. Although, if you think about it, that sounds like something Leatherpants would do. Wink

By the way, I think Arroyo is back to his former self, after that dead-arm period he had there for a while. He has now had 5 solid starts in a row, compiling a 2.60 ERA over that time, but typical of the luck he has had this year is only 2-2 in those 5 games.
More Cowbell Wrote:
jammin' jamey Wrote:I was surprised by the Arroyo trade rumors like the rest of you guys...I wouldn't trade last year's Arroyo, but remember, he also led the league in innings pitched with 270 (a career high) and starts (35 total) and faced 992 hitters (2nd most in the NL) all last season. Maybe the Reds feel that his arm is tired or something is going to break? I'm speculating of course, based on how he faired earlier this season.

I hadn't thought of that. I guess that would be the only reason I would go along with trading Arroyo, if they thought he was getting ready to break down. Although, if you think about it, that sounds like something Leatherpants would do. Wink

By the way, I think Arroyo is back to his former self, after that dead-arm period he had there for a while. He has now had 5 solid starts in a row, compiling a 2.60 ERA over that time, but typical of the luck he has had this year is only 2-2 in those 5 games.

Do you all think that the all star break did the trick. I seriously think that he just had a very tired arm and just needed more rest.
More Cowbell Wrote:Do you all think that the all star break did the trick. I seriously think that he just had a very tired arm and just needed more rest.

I don't think that's necessarily the case, he had already started his turnaround the last 3 starts before the break. Although I'm sure the extra couple days rest didn't hurt...
More Cowbell Wrote:I don't think that's necessarily the case, he had already started his turnaround the last 3 starts before the break. Although I'm sure the extra couple days rest didn't hurt...

Well I will be monitoring his next outing with a little more concern.