Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Offical Pike County Bowl thread.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
We had a thread like this befor but It got out of hand and it was locked I believe. But anyways lets try it again:

Aug. 24 at Belfry High School
East Ridge vs Phelps 6:00 PM
Belfry vs Corbin 8:00 PM

Aug. 25 at Pikeville High School
Pike County Central vs Shelby Valley 6:00 PM
Pikeville vs Louisville Holy Cross 8:00 PM

What is everybodys predictions on this, what does everyone believe the best game will be?
ER 49 Phelps 6
Belfry 20 Corbin 8

PC 28 SV 24
Pikeville 16 Holy Cross 39

I don't know much about Holy Cross, but from there record from the past few seasons and how good they are year in and year out I got them handling Pikeville...the SV-PC game was a toss up, so I figured PC would win it with all the seniors they have coming back and plus, Valley talks so much crap on here that I never want to see them win...
Jonnyappleseed Wrote:ER 49 Phelps 6
Belfry 20 Corbin 8

PC 28 SV 24

I don't know much about Holy Cross, but from there record from the past few seasons and how good they are year in and year out I got them handling Pikeville...the SV-PC game was a toss up, so I figured PC would win it with all the seniors they have coming back and plus, Valley talks so much crap on here that I never want to see them win...

Yea I agree with that. but I See the PCB with scores like this
ER 58 Phelps 12
Corbin 16 Belfry 14
Pike Central 34 Shleby Valley 21
Louisville Holy Cross 28 Pikeville 18
Kind of like a JV game before the varsity game each night.
Jonnyappleseed Wrote:ER 49 Phelps 6
Belfry 20 Corbin 8

PC 28 SV 24

I know I've said it before on the basketball threads, but I see way more anti-Valley sentiment on here than I do posts from Valley supporters. It seems like it's them against the world in basketball, but I had no idea the hatred applied to football too.

Anyway, as far as predictions, ER will win their game easily, I will take Pikeville in an apparent upset, and the other 2 are complete tossups. Probably go with Belfry (on their home field) and Central (they're due for a win in this series), but both games will be close to the end.
The Belfry vs. Corbin game should be an excellent matchup. Corbin matches up very well with Belfry as their strengths will be directly lined up with Belfry's weakness, their secondary.

I know alot of posters on here have an axe to grind with Pikeville, but credit is due where credit is due. Pikeville is a legit 1A Contender this season. Louisville Holy Cross is going to be a top 10 1A team, but I think Pikeville defeating them would be far from an upset.

As for the other games I really don't care who wins...usually those 4 teams are completely interchangable. I wish the Pike County Bowl was set up a little differently with only 3 Pike County teams bing allowed to compete, but that is a different discussion.

ER 28
Phelps 12

Corbin 27
Belfry 21

SV 20
Pike Central 14

Pikeville 34
Holy Cross 21
I'm not too familiar with Corbin other than seeing highlights of their games on Sports Overtime. Are they really good enough to beat Belfry on their home field with all of those crazy fans?
Yes, and I am a Belfry fan.

Corbin lost to Russell last year in the state quarterfinals @ Russell. Probably 80% of Russell fans said at the end of the season that they felt Corbin was better than Belfry who they defeated 19-0 @ Belfry.

From last year's team Corbin returnsa practically everyone, in particular their skill positions. They are led by a 4 year starter at QB in Clint Cashen who, IMO, is one of the top 15 players in the state this upcoming season. Cashen is a very agile playmaker with an extremely accurate arm. Cashen returns all of his receivers, most of his o-line, and their leading rusher.

Defensively the Redhounds return 6-7 starters, they will particularly be strong against the ground game as their biggest strengths will be up front.

Belfry is going to have one heck of a team this year, and if Corbin were a run oriented offense it would be no question who I would take in this one. But the Pirates have only two apparent weaknesses.

The first is the lack of speed on the offensive end, the Pirates can run over you and wear you down, but unlike the past they don't have a David Jones, Matt Maynard, or Jonah Caudill type of speed back to burn you on the outside. This is not a huge deal against Corbin, but keep in mind that Corbin's defensive strength is stopping the ground game and Belfry will go right at them.

The second weakness is the secondary. Belfry lost Corey Chapman, G Epling, and Devin Kohari, in fact the only defensive starters Belfry lost at all from last year were all in the secondary. The Pirates do return Andrew Elkins and Ryan Preston who both saw substantial playing time (Elkins emerged as the other starter), but other than that they are untested. Couple in the fact that Belfry's 5-2 defense is naturally suspect against mobile QB's due to the lack of an outside LB, and this really poses a lot of matchup problems for Belfry.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:The second weakness is the secondary. Belfry lost Corey Chapman, G Epling, and Devin Kohari, in fact the only defensive starters Belfry lost at all from last year were all in the secondary. The Pirates do return Andrew Elkins and Ryan Preston who both saw substantial playing time (Elkins emerged as the other starter), but other than that they are untested. Couple in the fact that Belfry's 5-2 defense is naturally suspect against mobile QB's due to the lack of an outside LB, and this really poses a lot of matchup problems for Belfry.
IMO, Belfry's secondary success or failure will depend on the defensive line play up front...gotta have some pressure.
Phillip Hickman will be a one man pressure machine, there is no denying that (unless of course he is taken off the D-line to be the second halfback). Will Southerland also should be able to gain positive penetration into the backfield regardless of Belfry's opponent. those two don't worry me coming up the middle.... what worries me is what Cashen does best, the rollout. Though the Pirates return a pair of DE starters, both Bowens and Lee will have their hands full handling the assignments and matchups that the Redhounds and an agile QB present. The rollout also will take the pass rush ability of the interior line and convert it into pursuit, and Cashen is especially more dangerous than your average QB when he is on the move.

The biggest factor will be how Haywood uses his linebackers. It's going to be a fine line between forcing Corbin's hand by applying pressure, and using them to congest the middle on receivers and tight ends dragging across. If past seasons are any indication, prepare to see May and Dotson doing alot of pass coverage which then once again forces the DE to make the play.
You seem to know alot about Corbin. I seen on KHSAA.org that they went 5-5 last year. Did they have a tough schedule or are they just going to be much improved this upcoming season?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I know alot of posters on here have an axe to grind with Pikeville, but credit is due where credit is due. Pikeville is a legit 1A Contender this season. Louisville Holy Cross is going to be a top 10 1A team, but I think Pikeville defeating them would be far from an upset.

Pikeville 34
Holy Cross 21

I was only calling it an "upset" because other people on here were predicting a lopsided win by Holy Cross. In my mind, Pikeville has to be the favorite, especially on their home field. Let's say...

Pikeville 35, Holy Cross 27
More Cowbell,
I was not singling you out as having an axe to grind against Pikeville,,, I have posted on this board for a couple years now, just not under this name, and have noticed there is a large contingent who usually are against anything that Pikeville is involved in.
As for Corbin going 5-5 last year, here is their schedule per khsaa.com:

Aug 19, '06 Rockcastle County Danville 0 - 2 (L)
Aug 26, '06 Oldham County Corbin 20 - 34 (L)
Sep 1, '06 South Laurel Corbin 20 - 21 (L)
Sep 8, '06 Lexington Christian Corbin 20 - 7 (W)
Sep 15, '06 Bell County Corbin 14 - 17 (L)
Sep 22, '06 Pulaski County Pulaski County 49 - 26 (W)
Sep 29, '06 Middlesboro Middlesboro 42 - 62 (L)
Oct 6, '06 Open -
Oct 13, '06 Wayne County Wayne County 23 - 14 (W)
Oct 20, '06 Casey County Corbin 23 - 7 (W)
Oct 27, '06 Garrard County Garrard County 61 - 6 (W)
Nov 3, '06 Garrard County Corbin 55 - 6 (W) Class AA Football State Tournament

Nov 10, '06 Wayne County Corbin 27 - 0 (W) Class AA Football State Tournament

Nov 17, '06 Russell Russell 23 - 31 (L) Class AA Football State Tournament

Notice that they started 2-5, inlcuded in that was a loss by a safety against Rockcastle County (yes that 0-2 score is correct), a missed extra point from defeating South laurel, and a field goal loss to Bell County, a combined 6 points. Now imagine they had pulled those close games out, they would have been 8-2 with wins over 3A powers Bell County and Rockcastle.

So that 5-5 record is a bit misleading considering their competition and the outcomes of those games
EKUAlum05 Wrote:More Cowbell,
I was not singling you out as having an axe to grind against Pikeville,,, I have posted on this board for a couple years now, just not under this name, and have noticed there is a large contingent who usually are against anything that Pikeville is involved in.

Dictionary.com defines jealous as feeling resentment against someone because of that person's rivalry, success, or advantages.

Thats my best guessWink
Lake Chief Wrote:Kind of like a JV game before the varsity game each night.
One word, HILARIOUS!
I've heard that all of the games (Both nights) will be shown on WYMT.

It should be fun to watch all four games, instead just the Saturday night games like before.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:More Cowbell,
Like Ive said in here before its not that people honestly THINKS that Pikeville will lose. Its that they WANT Pikeville to lose. Usually when I ask these folks to explain why they picked against Pikeville they cant give me a straight answer. Some have and if its a valid opinion I dont have a problem with it, everones entitled to theyre opinion. I just wish people would be more honest and just say "I dont want Pikeville to win cause I dont like them".
Game # 1 East Ridge over Phelps. Coach Bobby Branham will enjoy his first win !!!

Game # 2 Belfry over the Corbin boys !!!

Game # 3 Pike Central over Shelby Valley...Hamilton and Merchant strong games to open up a good season on the hill.

Game # 4 Pikeville vs. Holy Cross. If this was the Holy Cross from Covington hey this will be a game. Louisville Holy Cross!! ? A team that won 7 games last season in a District not known for tradition. Got to go with Pikeville as many as they want !!!!
the belfry and corbin game will be a good game to watch
calQlate Wrote:Dictionary.com defines jealous as feeling resentment against someone because of that person's rivalry, success, or advantages.

Thats my best guessWink

HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Like Ive said in here before its not that people honestly THINKS that Pikeville will lose. Its that they WANT Pikeville to lose. Usually when I ask these folks to explain why they picked against Pikeville they cant give me a straight answer. Some have and if its a valid opinion I dont have a problem with it, everones entitled to theyre opinion. I just wish people would be more honest and just say "I dont want Pikeville to win cause I dont like them".

I will agree that a good many people are jealous of Pikeville's success on the football field, and that they may be picking Pikeville to lose because that is what they want to happen. The same thing usually happens with Shelby Valley basketball, but I thought it odd that someone earlier on this thread picked Valley to lose to Pike Central because they "never want to see them win." :confused:

I could chalk up hatred of Valley in basketball to simple jealousy (just like some people's hatred of Pikeville football), but what is up the negative feelings toward SV's football team? It's obviously not jealousy, and I haven't seen any bigmouths on here predicting any undefeated seasons for them this year, so I'm stumped.
More Cowbell Wrote:I could chalk up hatred of Valley in basketball to simple jealousy (just like some people's hatred of Pikeville football), but what is up the negative feelings toward SV's football team? It's obviously not jealousy, and I haven't seen any bigmouths on here predicting any undefeated seasons for them this year, so I'm stumped.
I would say that peoples "hatred" of the basketball team carries over to the football field as well. People that don't like Pikeville football don't like anything else that has to do with Pikeville at all. It is probably the same for SV because of their success in basketball.
so your telling that merchant and hamilton is better than johnson, justice, kinney, simpkins and mitchell?
I think Belfry and Corbin will be a great game looking foward to that one.
Phelps - 21
East Ridge -12

Belfry - 27
Corbin - 24

Shelby Valley - 42
Pike County Central - 17

Louisville Holy Cross - 34
Pikeville - 24
Lake Chief Wrote:Kind of like a JV game before the varsity game each night.

you guys can say what you want about pc, valley
but the last time these two teams played in the pcb it was a great game 3 ots...
anytime these two teams play it is a great game...
I think corbin is gonna get belfry...There supposedly gonna be pretty loaded
yea they are both really good teams but i think that corbin will come out on top
hawkwild11 Wrote:you guys can say what you want about pc, valley
but the last time these two teams played in the pcb it was a great game 3 ots...
anytime these two teams play it is a great game...
More like a struggle to see who can score more. The games are not fluid and have little importance.
ER 48 Phelps 14
Corbin 7 Belfry 6(Like NewCath last year but backwards)

PC 28 SV 20(I wanna see how the spread works for the Hawks)
P'ville 31 HC 34(Don't know much about HC )
Pages: 1 2 3