Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Belfry at Richlands, VA (Scrimmage)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This Friday the Pirates make the trip to Richlands, VA for their 2nd and final scrimmage before the season starts. Although we've scrimmaged them in the past, I know very little about this team except their a 2A team in Virginia that went 8-5 last year and lost in their regional championship game to eventual 2A Virginia State Champ Graham G-Men who themselves went 14-1 last year with their only lose coming against Bluefield in the first game of the season. Anyone know anything about them, who they lost, or who they have coming back? What kind of offense and defense they run? And what other teams may be there? If I'm not mistaken there's usually 3-4 teams scrimmaging when we go there. Any information or input would be appreciated.
So typically this is a different kind of scrimmage, one that I have always liked the format of.

It is not Belfry vs. Richlands like last Friday was Belfry vs. Raceland. They call the format a jamboree.

Belfry and Richlands will get three or four series where it is Belfry 1's vs. Richlands 1's in a 10-play type of setting. Then they will rotate and Belfry will do the same against another team, usually George Wythe is one of them and then they try to get another team if they can.

They will also separate the JV's and let them do some scrimmaging on a side field.

It is usually an excellent format for what Haywood likes to get out of his scrimmages.
To answer your other questions:

Richlands typically is a spread team that does less read option and utilizes a more traditional passing QB. They usually have really talented WR's and stout line play and RB's that run downhill.

Defensively they will play Belfry less like their traditional look (I want to say they are a 4-3 team), and give a look more like Belfry sees every week with a Bear Front or walking extra guys to the LOS. Richlands is always really tough on the DLine and have solid LB's that hit you. Always very well coached team and a good test.

George Wythe is a small school that is usually comparable to what you saw from Raceland or Paintsville. You will see more zone read from them and they won't have the size or depth of Richlands, but usually execute pretty well and have some firepower at the skill spots.

The goal for Belfry will be simply to improve. Richlands will really test the secondary and our O-Line is going to have their hands full and the QB's will have to read and react fast. George Wythe will make our ends and backers play good assignment football, and defensively they will force Belfry to execute.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:To answer your other questions:

Richlands typically is a spread team that does less read option and utilizes a more traditional passing QB. They usually have really talented WR's and stout line play and RB's that run downhill.

Defensively they will play Belfry less like their traditional look (I want to say they are a 4-3 team), and give a look more like Belfry sees every week with a Bear Front or walking extra guys to the LOS. Richlands is always really tough on the DLine and have solid LB's that hit you. Always very well coached team and a good test.

George Wythe is a small school that is usually comparable to what you saw from Raceland or Paintsville. You will see more zone read from them and they won't have the size or depth of Richlands, but usually execute pretty well and have some firepower at the skill spots.

The goal for Belfry will be simply to improve. Richlands will really test the secondary and our O-Line is going to have their hands full and the QB's will have to read and react fast. George Wythe will make our ends and backers play good assignment football, and defensively they will force Belfry to execute.

Nice. That's exactly the type of scrimmage that we need. Secondary needs tested to see where were at. With Bentley and Coleman out I know we cant really tell but we will be able to see what kind of depth we have there. Same goes for our O-Line. Sounds like this will definitely be a test for them. Alot of new faces at those positions. My main focus though is going to on Belfry's backfield. Last week against Raceland, to me, we looked completely out of sync. I know Dixon and Hensley had a couple nice runs but we just looked uncomfortable. I don't think our O-Line looked ready either. Any of them. Like I've said before, Belfry has normally looked bad in scrimmages because I think Heywood does things he normally doesn't do during the season but we just didn't look right last week. We just looked awkward.
What time does this start Friday nite
Warriorhawk17 Wrote:What time does this start Friday nite

6pm