Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Edwards "Road To One America" Tour
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The John Edwards for President campaign announced its plan to take a break from its normal campaign schedule of events and take the campaign on the road for three days, through eight states and 12 towns and cities, in order to bring attention to the 37 million Americans living in poverty.

Beginning Monday, July 16th, the "Road to One America" tour will kick-off in New Orleans, Louisiana and travel more than 1,800 miles before ending on Wednesday, July 18th, in Prestonsburg, Kentucky.

http://johnedwards.com/news/headlines/20070709-tour/
This may be the worst presidential candidates that this great land that we live in has ever seen!
i think Hillary and Obama have that title.
Is anyone else embarrassed that a presidential candidate is visiting eastern KY on the "poverty tour"???

IMO, it further validates the stereotype that eastern Kentuckians are uneducated, poverty stricken hillbillies.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Is anyone else embarrassed that a presidential candidate is visiting eastern KY on the "poverty tour"???

IMO, it further validates the stereotype that eastern Kentuckians are uneducated, poverty stricken hillbillies.

Yeah and it really makes me sick because you can find poverty anywhere in America. Sure...Eastern Ky has its share of poor, but you can also find plenty of people that are pretty well off too.

Also...if thats the only reason Edwards is coming, then he can stay away for all I care.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Is anyone else embarrassed that a presidential candidate is visiting eastern KY on the "poverty tour"???

I was wondering if anyone else felt this same way. I think naming this visit the "poverty tour" is degrading to our region. I'm sure why he is in the area they will not focus on any of the up-scale neighborhoods (like some of the ones just on the outskirts of downtown Pikeville or any other town). The visit will focus on some of the junky, old places that those "poor hillbillies" live in and how everyone is unemployed and poor. I just wish for once that a candidate would visit the region to gain support, not for a pity party.
I think it will be a good chance for the cameras to show the stereotypical images associated with this area. He's also going to be in Letcher County as well.
EVERYBODY that goes should ask him to "borry a hunderd dollars so I kud keep my pair from bein turnt off"....apparently the stereotypes will never stop, so if politicians want to throw a "look how pathetic, poor and uneducated you are" party every four years in Eastern Kentucky, give them a reason to not come back here, lol..

Yes I am...

I think it's funny that a presidential candidate supporting a $400 hair cut is coming to tell us about poverty...Smile

Furthermore, he's doing the same thing that Robert Kennedy did in 1968 with a similar poverty tour. What has really changed since 1968? Less straight sewer pipes in the creek, running water and less outhouses?

We've come a long way baby!

It would be different if Edwards was coming to town and promising to get folks off the draw, off drugs, created two large factories and provide good paying jobs to hard working folks. Instead, he'll be posing for pictures with the counties poorest folks, shake the hand of Doc Marshall the Judge-Executive, talk a little about Hillary, blow his noise at Billy Ray's and head back to his spiraling estate in the NC hills and say, "poor pity those hillbillies."
I thought it was "the real John Edwards" I'd much rather go hear what he's got to say! I do agree with Fox Sports. If that's what he's gonna call his tour and offer nothing to alleviate those issues, he can keep on drivin'.............................
I went to see him today... he did a great job... he shook hands and signed autographs after his speech... he also tooks pictures with people.
I don't think he's trying to stereotype eastern KY but I'm sure some people and some news station will turn it into that.
Here are a few pics I took today...
Why not call it the poverty tour? We live in a very low poverty part of the state dont we. I just dont see how he can say or promise that hes going to stop poverty, it will never end. As long as rich people keep worrying about themselves, it will remain the same. Nothing will ever change. There will be no factories or anything to provide jobs for anyone except the people that are already working. Like I have said before, every presidential candidate will say whatever it takes to get people to vote for him then after they get elected, they are out for themselves.
First off, I'd like to say that while there are some people in this region who are very well off, anyone who thinks that there is not a lot of poverty also is kidding themselves. Yes, there are poor areas in every city and county in America, and maybe they did choose our area because of the stereotypes, but that does not mean that the poverty is not still there. Ignoring it does not help anything.

That said, I doubt that Edwards or any of the other presidential candidates truly cares about anybody but themselves. I'm sure the only reason he came on this "tour" was to smile for the camera, shake some hands, and win some votes. Now, run along back to North Carolina.
Ross Perot In 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very nice pics!!!

BTW, I got a haircut yesterday for $15 and it looks better than his $400 cut.
All jokes aside, Edwards is very ambitious...He 30 year plan includes the following:

Creating a universal health care system.
Strengthening the rights of unions to organize workers in workplaces so they can earn a decent wage.
Making sure that every child who wants to go to college "and is willing to work to go" gets the chance without graduating with a huge burden of debt.
Raising the minimum wage.

I don't see anything there to address current problems such as drugs/poor housing/no jobs/no interstate or system to support a large factory in East Kentucky. A bunch of rhetoric.

Here's what the Herald-Leader had to say about his visit...http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/story/127561.html
While Edwards' anti-poverty plan has made headlines, his lavish lifestyle -- including a 28,000-square-foot house and $400 haircuts -- has been criticized. Some have said Edwards' poverty tour is simply to gain political support and will amount to nothing.

I will say this: As a democrat, he represents more of what I believe than Hillary or Obama, yet I don't see him strong enough to win the primary.
You actually fall for the crap these politicians throw out there. They just say this stuff to get elected then they dont follow through on any of it. I will never vote again as long as im living because it doesnt matter. Our votes dont count anyway, if they did, why was Bush ever elected president? Answer that one. Al Gore won the popular vote, which is us, and Bush got the electoral college vote, which is not us. So you tell me, what in the hell is the point of voting for any of them. They all suck.
Not all politicians are like that... and I've seen plenty of races were a vote has mattered.
15thRegionCrazy Wrote:Not all politicians are like that... and I've seen plenty of races were a vote has mattered.

I will agree that every vote counts, especially in local races. I have seen a lot of local elections where the victor was decided by only a handful of votes.