Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: EKY Miners Free Agent Camp Announced...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
EAST KENTUCKY MINERS
237 2ND STREET
PIKEVILLE, KY. 41501

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JULY 10, 2007

East Kentucky Miners to hold free agent camps Aug. 4-5

PIKEVILLE, KY. - East Kentucky's professional basketball franchise is quickly taking shape. The East Kentucky Miners will hold their inaugural free agent camps Aug. 4-5 at the Pikeville College Gym. The early registration fee for either of the professional basketball free agent camps is $75. Early registration is being held through July 26. The registration fee is $100 for those who register from July 27-Aug. 3. Registration is $125 for those who register on the day of either free agent camp.

Acceptable forms of payment are money order and cash. Money orders should be sent for the early registration. Cash or money order will be the only acceptable form of payment. No checks will be accepted during any of the registration period. [SIZE=2]Money orders should be made payable to Trinity Sports and Entertainment Group, Inc.[/SIZE]

Aug. 4 and 5 will feature two separate free agent camps. Players who wish to register for both camps may do so. Early registration is $150 for both camps and $225 at the door.
Registration will begin at 8 a.m. each morning. Each camp will run from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Both sessions will feature a break that will run from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Lunch will not be provided as part of the break.

The one-day free agent camps are invitation-only to the general public. Media members who contact East Kentucky Coach Kevin Keathley will be permitted to attend either or both of the sessions.Keathley is looking forward to the upcoming free agent camps."This is the perfect opportunity for players from Eastern Kentucky who have always believed in their abilities and had aspirations of playing on the pro level to come out and compete for one of our 18 roster spots for training camp," said Keathley."We really want to give Eastern Kentucky as well as the state the first opportunity to make this team. By having our free agent camps right here in Pikeville, Ky., this will give all the local talent a chance to be a part of this franchise."

All players should send a resume with their registration form. Players should also bring a second copy of their resume to the free agent camp. Game video - if available - is also encouraged.

[SIZE=2]Payment and application materials should be sent to East Kentucky Miners Basketball, LLC., c/o Coach Kevin Keathley, 237 2nd Street Pikeville, Ky. 41501.

EAST KENTUCKY MINERS FREE AGENT CAMPS
Dates: Aug. 4-5
Pikeville, Ky.

Registration
$75 (Early registration due by July 26)
$100 (From July 27-Aug. 3)
$125 (Day of Free Agent Camp)
Both Camps: $150 (Early registration); $225 (At the door)

Dates/Times
Aug. 4
(Registration begins at 8 a.m.)
9 a.m.-3 p.m. (Break from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m./No lunch provided.)

Aug. 5
(Registration begins at 8 a.m.)
9 a.m.-3 p.m. (Break from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m./No lunch provided.)

Acceptable forms of payments: Money Orders/Cash
Early registration-Money Orders
Day of camp-Cash/Money Orders (No Checks)

Make money orders payable to: Trinity Sports and Entertainment Group, Inc.
Send payment to East Kentucky Miners Basketball, LLC,
c/o Coach Kevin Keathley 237 2nd Street Pikeville, Ky. 41501

[/SIZE]
WOW! Does anyone know someone would may do this?
I wonder what it will payout?
If they need a slow middle aged, 6'-1 260lbs shooting guard, they can contact me at 555-AARP
Old School Wrote:If they need a slow middle aged, 6'-1 260lbs shooting guard, they can contact me at 555-AARP

Haha, thats got to be one of the funniest posts I've read on this site!
That is hilarious Old School!, LOL!!!!!!!
I've talked to a few people that are going to try-out.

I just hope this is a step-up from the ABA, because I know a few people that play in that league and lets just say that there is MUCH more talent playing at the YMCA and Belfry High School in those pickup games.......
I have heard that as well! A bunch of street ballers who have a hard time establishing to the game the way it "IS SUPPOSE TO BE PLAYED". A bunch of guys with 43 inch verticles who can't hit a 5 foot bank shot and who shoots 40% from the free throw line!
NEXT Wrote:I've talked to a few people that are going to try-out.

I just hope this is a step-up from the ABA, because I know a few people that play in that league and lets just say that there is MUCH more talent playing at the YMCA and Belfry High School in those pickup games.......
Really???
Local guys???
Smile THAT'S AWESOME! Thats good stuff right there..
Old School Wrote:If they need a slow middle aged, 6'-1 260lbs shooting guard, they can contact me at 555-AARP

In regard to your name and height and possibly the weight...ARE YOU WILL FARRELL!!!!
Come to think about it, does he have a new movie coming out where he plays a middle-aged basketball player? (I looked it up it is called Semi- Pro)
:eek:
I wonder if JR Vanhoose will try out?
That is a very good question big pun and someone I haven't even thought about. I have a question that someone might can help me out with. Who was the other big guy from the state championship team at Paintsville? I know of Tackett/Van Hoose and there was a 6'6 or 6'8 player that was VERY skilled as well!
bigpun Wrote:I wonder if JR Vanhoose will try out?

Very nice brainstorming.
i think micah oden from jenkins has a shot
After looking at the CBA rosters from last years teams, most of the players came from D1 or D2 schools with a sprinling of NAIA players.

Are there really local players good enough to play at that level???

I guess, we'll see.
If they want to be somewhat competitive, they had better get players who have played against such competition IMO! Did Micah Oden even play 1 complete year of basketball? So you say that he can play when he never even took off at Alice Lloyd and Pikeville and now he can play against Ex-D-1 players. The boy can play street ball against 5'8-6'1 players but he would have to play SF and to play a SF you have to be able to shoot the longball at this level. And well, if anyone knows Micah....That is his HUGE DOWNFALL! Great inside player with great ups and SUPERFUN to watch though!
bigpun Wrote:I wonder if JR Vanhoose will try out?

Nope, not going to try out. Coach Keathley had contacted me to join the team and with my time commitments to teaching school and coaching, we just couldn't work anything out. The CBA plays most of their games during the week and I just could not afford to teach and coach, then go to practice or travel to Yakima, Washington; Butte, Montana; or Minot, North Dakota or some of the other CBA cities. We looked at every possibility, and the money the offered was good, but I just didn't think I would have time for that, for teaching and coaching, and for my wife (which is the most important thing in my life).

I can tell you a little about the CBA and maybe it will help some of you out. Up until last year, the CBA had at least one person called up to an NBA team for the last 30 years!! They usually get players who played on a high level at a D1 school, or have played previously in professional leagues in Europe, Asia, South America, or here in the states. Sometimes, at local try-outs like this one, they will get players that have played a D2, D3, or NAIA schools to join their team.

Instead of playing in the CBA and missing time with my family and away from my job, I am going to play for the team I played for last season, the West Virginia Wild, in the Premier Basketball League from January-March, 2008 and then in the International Basketball League from March-June, 2008. From what I understand, the team worked it out with both leagues to play most of its games on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. This way I don't have to miss any time away from school or miss any basketball games, like some of the other guys that also teach and coach that will play on this team. As far as I know, many of the guys on this team will be from D1 schools, many from Marshall and West Virginia. I will also be getting paid quite generously to play, so I can't complain!!!
J.R...What kind of salaries will we be seeing some of these players get? I know if it is like minor league baseball then it is sad. Most of those players get there money from signing bonuses though in baseball.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:J.R...What kind of salaries will we be seeing some of these players get? I know if it is like minor league baseball then it is sad. Most of those players get there money from signing bonuses though in baseball.

Not sure, I am sure it depends on level of professional experience. I would say, if I were guessing, somewhere between $300-$1,000 a week depending on experience. The contract would begin after the final cuts are done after training camp in mid-November and run throught the end of the season in March, a time of possibly five months. So if you are the highest pais player on the team, make $1,000 a week, $4,000 a month, you maybe looking at making at most $20,000-$25,000 for the season. Nothing to retire on, but after the end of the season, you may look to join another professional league that plays in the summer, like the leagues I will be playing in from January to June - the Premier Basketball League (PBL) and the International Basketball League (IBL). Looking in on it as having a career like this, you would be playing year round, which I would think would be fun, if you like travel!!!!
Thanks J.R..Summed it up like I knew you would, lol!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Thanks J.R..Summed it up like I knew you would, lol!

No problem. BTW, congrats on going over 5,000 posts!!!
Thank you. I feel like me going over the big 5000 is as good or better than you going over 2000 points or something, LMAO!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Thank you. I feel like me going over the big 5000 is as good or better than you going over 2000 points or something, LMAO!

Going over 5,000 is probablt better than me just scoring points, at least you make sense when you say something Big Grin !!

Earlier you were talking about the ABA, and its possible lack of talent. From being around the pro game and knowing many coaches and players in the different leagues, I have learned that you can't look at them based on a few players. The coach/owner may have a lack of control or that is the only players they could get for what they were going to pay them. I look at the different leagues and compare them to leagues in baseball:

The Major Leagues
NBA

AAA (Triple A)
NBADL (NBA Developmental League)
CBA (Continental Basketball Association)

AA (Double A)
USBL (United States Basketball League)
ABA (American Basketball Association)
IBL (International Basketball League)
PBL (Premier Basketball League)

A (Single A)/Rookie League
WBA (World Basketball Association)
KBDL (Kentucky Basketball Developmental League)
TPBL (Texas Professional Baseketball League)
ANBL (American National Basketball League)
EBA (Eastern Basketball Alliance)
NWPBL (New World Professional Basketball League)

There are other start up leagues that I would classify in the Single A/Rookie Division, but I don't know some of them. Just thought this may help as well!!!
J, what team are you playing for in the IBL? I think the closest one to Paintsville is Marysville OH isn't it?
GRIZZ Wrote:J, what team are you playing for in the IBL? I think the closest one to Paintsville is Marysville OH isn't it?

West Virginia Wild, after our season is over in the Premier Basketball League, we will then be playing in the IBL. Hope you can make it to a game or two!!
Oh you know it. I'll be sure to come watch a few games.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:If they want to be somewhat competitive, they had better get players who have played against such competition IMO! Did Micah Oden even play 1 complete year of basketball? So you say that he can play when he never even took off at Alice Lloyd and Pikeville and now he can play against Ex-D-1 players. The boy can play street ball against 5'8-6'1 players but he would have to play SF and to play a SF you have to be able to shoot the longball at this level. And well, if anyone knows Micah....That is his HUGE DOWNFALL! Great inside player with great ups and SUPERFUN to watch though!

yeah he did he just was two dumb to go to class
Well I am not sure if ya know it, but academics plays a role while attending colleges and playing sports, lol.
Thanks for the info and insight JR.
Pages: 1 2