Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Is Raceland Really A "Power"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have heard a few people refer to Raceland as a "power" when discussing football, but are they really a power? They have never won a state title and have only been to one state final in their history. Does that really qualify as a power? I'm not trying to stir anything up. I'm just curious what everyone else thinks. Can you be a "power" with no state titles and only one state title game appearence. What is your ooinion?
Westside Wrote:I have heard a few people refer to Raceland as a "power" when discussing football, but are they really a power? They have never won a state title and have only been to one state final in their history. Does that really qualify as a power? I'm not trying to stir anything up. I'm just curious what everyone else thinks. Can you be a "power" with no state titles and only one state title game appearence. What is your ooinion?

Power by itself means nothing. I would consider Raceland a regional power (as in their area of the state, not necessarily their Class A region they are in.)
Westside Wrote:I have heard a few people refer to Raceland as a "power" when discussing football, but are they really a power? They have never won a state title and have only been to one state final in their history. Does that really qualify as a power? I'm not trying to stir anything up. I'm just curious what everyone else thinks. Can you be a "power" with no state titles and only one state title game appearence. What is your ooinion?

In my opinion, there are several teams that fall into the category as "strong" teams that most in there class would hate to face. Power teams, to me, means title contenders and a team that is consistently in the hunt for a title. Other examples that make me think of strong teams is Glasgow, Anderson Co., and Caldwell Co. to name a few.
Raceland, Somerset, and Owensboro Catholic are all three examples of teams that are consistently strong who just can't get over the hump to win a Title.
I will answer this as a Ram fan. I take no offense whatsoever to this question. Myself and a few other Ram has been have had this same conversation. Simply put, I'd have to say No. But to be fair, with Beechwood gone, Pikeville and maybe Hazard, is really the only 1A power left. Multiple titles, recent titles and or close call championship appearances. Facr of the matter is, in the 6 class system, it drastically changes the "power" conversation. Imo, you need to be in the hunt for a title every year, not just in the hint as a contender for your region and or semi state game. So no, Raceland, imo isnt considered a power yet. But let this sink in. It is a school full of diehard football fans. People more times than not associate Raceland with football. That's with no regional titles until the last decade, 3 state semi appearances, and one title game in which we were ran off the field. Says something about Raceland being a legit program imo and not just another school with a football team.
I really don’t know if it’s power or respect but when the talk of 1A football is being talked about in the east Raceland is always in it. I can tell you that when you play them they are a hard hitting, very disciplined well coached team with some fantastic athletes. Yes they have never won a state championship but you asked about power in my opinion (and I know everyone has one) they are a power team because of their consistent quality teams they put on the field. So was Belfry a power team before Haywood because they never won a championship either. Times have changed with the new classification would some of these schools ever won a championship. We could think so but we really don’t know. To me it’s the teams that’s always in the conversation of the teams to beat that are the power teams. Just one old man’s opinion.
Raceland is a very successful team and a good program but I think POWER is a word used my teams on each other schedule’s , who wants to get beat by 1A Raceland but 1A power Raceland sounds much better and in reality they aren’t even the favorite in their district most years , as long as they keep their schedule close to what it’s been the last few years they are gonna win 7/8 games and continue to call themselves a 1A power . Raceland has a lot of passionate people in the community and follow the Rams with pride all the way up 23 to get knocked off by the true powers of 1A pikeville and Paintsville
Very good thread though Westside

No, Raceland is not a power. They are strong, solid program.
Until they start winning big games, I never consider them a power.
anotherfootballnut Wrote:Raceland is a very successful team and a good program but I think POWER is a word used my teams on each other schedule’s , who wants to get beat by 1A Raceland but 1A power Raceland sounds much better and in reality they aren’t even the favorite in their district most years , as long as they keep their schedule close to what it’s been the last few years they are gonna win 7/8 games and continue to call themselves a 1A power . Raceland has a lot of passionate people in the community and follow the Rams with pride all the way up 23 to get knocked off by the true powers of 1A pikeville and Paintsville

Somebody is going to have to explain to me how Paintsville is a power if Raceland isn't.

My take is Raceland has a lot of tradition but isn't a power, at least not yet.
They are still climbing the same mountain all the powers got to the top of, they just aren't quite to the top yet. While they are not a power yet, they certainly have the ability to beat a power.
anotherfootballnut Wrote:Raceland is a very successful team and a good program but I think POWER is a word used my teams on each other schedule’s , who wants to get beat by 1A Raceland but 1A power Raceland sounds much better and in reality they aren’t even the favorite in their district most years , as long as they keep their schedule close to what it’s been the last few years they are gonna win 7/8 games and continue to call themselves a 1A power . Raceland has a lot of passionate people in the community and follow the Rams with pride all the way up 23 to get knocked off by the true powers of 1A pikeville and Paintsville

Is Paintsville really a power? Their resume is very similar to Raceland's. Neither school has a state title, Paintsville has only played in the title game two times, last in 1985. Both schools have a bunch of district titles. Winning district does not make you a power IMO. If Raceland is not a power, neither is Paintsville.
Teams off the top of my head with titles in 1A. Pikeville, New Cath, Hazard, Russellville, and I believe Paris. I’m not sure if There are anymore or not.
bac2369 Wrote:Teams off the top of my head with titles in 1A. Pikeville, New Cath, Hazard, Russellville, and I believe Paris. I’m not sure if There are anymore or not.

Paris has at least 3 titles.
Dayton and Ludlow each have a state title.
Paris has 3 state titles: 1973, 1981 and 1982 of I'm not mistaken.
Danville and Mayfield have won a few. Beechwood might have squeaked a title out.
Westside Wrote:Danville and Mayfield have won a few. Beechwood might have squeaked a title out.

All former 1A powers!!! Not sure they ever return to 1A unless a drop of 1 whole class.
I look for Raceland to be very competitive in 1A this year. I could be wrong, but I dont think I am. Gut feeling. They may even win District 6. And dont yall yell at me, it's just my opinion! Lol
So..why use the word “power” if most link it to a state championship? Just say schools with or without a state title! I believe a school can be considered a power without a ring! Is Raceland ??? Depends who you ask! Ask Russell....Greenup...those are two county schools with state championships that the Rams best year in and year out! So if the Rams beat teams with titles it makes them a “power”! I don’t think you should be considered a power just because you have won a championship....it should be consistency! I’m the third ex ram to answer this question and we all three answered it the same way! No Raceland isn’t a power if your idea of power is state championships won! But I wouldn’t trade the team I follow for any with multiple championships!!
Not sure anyone is currently a Power in single A In the last 20 years Pikeville has 1 Hazard has 1 and the rest are Beechwood, Mayfield , and NCC basically. There are a few mixed in but not much. Hazard has been the most dominate team on the east side with 4 title games I believe . But power is an objective word. I would say Raceland , Pikeville , Hazard , and Paintsville and a few others are all great football programs . You win 3 or 4 in a 10 year span then power may fit for someone. But for now in my opinion no one can say they are a power.
RAMDAD50 Wrote:So..why use the word “power” if most link it to a state championship? Just say schools with or without a state title! I believe a school can be considered a power without a ring! Is Raceland ??? Depends who you ask! Ask Russell....Greenup...those are two county schools with state championships that the Rams best year in and year out! So if the Rams beat teams with titles it makes them a “power”! I don’t think you should be considered a power just because you have won a championship....it should be consistency! I’m the third ex ram to answer this question and we all three answered it the same way! No Raceland isn’t a power if your idea of power is state championships won! But I wouldn’t trade the team I follow for any with multiple championships!!

The reason I don't is because IMO all "power programs" have won a state title or titles (I think you need more than one) but not all programs that have won state titles are a "power program". An example is Bourbon County. They have won a state title and have had some really good season, but I doubt anyone would call them a power program. David Jones may change this. We will have to wait and see. Someone mentioned Somerset, Owensboro Catholic, Raceland, and I think you could throw Prestonsburg and Paintsville in with this group. These programs have been very successful at times, but they haven't been able to bring home a state title. To me, winning the state title puts you on another level.
Westside Wrote:The reason I don't is because IMO all "power programs" have won a state title or titles (I think you need more than one) but not all programs that have won state titles are a "power program". An example is Bourbon County. They have won a state title and have had some really good season, but I doubt anyone would call them a power program. David Jones may change this. We will have to wait and see. Someone mentioned Somerset, Owensboro Catholic, Raceland, and I think you could throw Prestonsburg and Paintsville in with this group. These programs have been very successful at times, but they haven't been able to bring home a state title. To me, winning the state title puts you on another level.

I agree with some of this but not all of it! There are a lot of moving parts in winning a championship! Raceland made their first state appearance a year ago and that team was now where close to being one of their best! I watched a Russell team that get beat in the simi’s One year and they were men amongst boys....a few years later the win a state championship.Im just saying teams can be down programs can be down that allows a team to win a title! I wouldn’t dismiss a team from being a power just cause they don’t have a ring
Food for thought....there are Ohio teams that don’t have championship but if they were to play in Kentucky they would have 20 championship! Would you dismiss them from being a power team? And just to make it clear ....no I’m not arguing that Raceland is a power team I’m just arguing the thought process that you have to have won a championship to be considered one
Like when ironton was hammering Belfrey every year when the peerats were winning titles
Rams are a power! Rest of you guys couldn’t tear a picture of us in half! Rams by eleventy billion!
Patriot1 Wrote:So was Belfry a power team before Haywood because they never won a championship either..

In one word....NO. Belfry was a competitive program....who had tasted some success in the 70’s....made it to the AAA championship game in 79. When Haywood came in the 83-84 season....Belfry was respectable. Then 2 straight years back in the AAA title game...only to lose. Then for the next 20 years..the Pirates tasted varying levels of success and failure....but was known as a contending program. It really was until the past 18-20 years that Belfry has become synonymous with Championship Football.
RAMDAD50 Wrote:Food for thought....there are Ohio teams that don’t have championship but if they were to play in Kentucky they would have 20 championship! Would you dismiss them from being a power team? And just to make it clear ....no I’m not arguing that Raceland is a power team I’m just arguing the thought process that you have to have won a championship to be considered one

Yes, I would because those Ohio teams are not winning championships where they compete.
Raceland is a strong program, but I wouldn't classify them as a "power" in 1A. If you look at the landscape in Eastern Kentucky football at this time, there are few programs I would consider to be a "Powerhouse". The schools that come to mind are Belfry, Johnson Central, Corbin and Pikeville. You could even throw Hazard in there as well. Traditionally, Bell, Breathitt, Ashland, and Middlesboro are Powerhouses, but I wouldn't put them in the category of being a "power" at this time. I feel like over the next few years Bell, Ashland, and Breathitt will back in the discussion of being a "powerhouse". Overall, I would put Raceland in the same discussion as Lawrence County, Prestonsburg, Paintsville, Rockcastle, and possibly Leslie County.
Raceland is always a solid team, but I think that’s all you can expect from them for the foreseeable future. No state titles, but a very solid team who could beat most teams on any given night. The population just doesn’t support anything more. A school as small as Raceland has to be able to attract a few out of district players each year in order to sustain their status as a possible power. With Greenup cracking down on transfers, with Russell’s program looking solid right now, and with Ironton appearing to be back as the school of choice in Southeast Ohio under their new coach, it’s going to get more difficult to attract the out of district players required to keep going as a potential power.

This isn’t meant as a knock on the Rams, though. I do think Raceland gets the most out of the talent that they have each year. The same thing holds true for all of our Northeast Kentucky teams and really maybe for any teams across the state. If a team isn’t able to secure a few transfers and become the football “school of choice” in their area, then it's awfully difficult to contend for state titles on a yearly basis. Raceland had a good run at this while Fairview disintegrated, Russell didn’t know what they wanted to do with McGlone, Greenup allowed transfers, and Ironton was as bad as they had been in a generation. With some of those tides turning, it makes it more difficult on the Rams.

That being said, I expect Raceland to continue to post winning records each season. This year is somewhat of a rebuilding year for them with losses along the lines and backfield, but they will still be a decent team with a good QB and good WRs. That alone will likely present a problem for a lot of teams on their schedule because the Raceland passing game and speed should be top notch this season.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:In one word....NO. Belfry was a competitive program....who had tasted some success in the 70’s....made it to the AAA championship game in 79. When Haywood came in the 83-84 season....Belfry was respectable. Then 2 straight years back in the AAA title game...only to lose. Then for the next 20 years..the Pirates tasted varying levels of success and failure....but was known as a contending program. It really was until the past 18-20 years that Belfry has become synonymous with Championship Football.

I totally disagree, Belfry has always been a power program. Just like a lot of teams that hasn’t won a championship. I personally think the teams that put on quality teams on the field every year are. So according to your standards if football was like basketball in the state of Kentucky would Belfry ever won a state championship, probably not so they would not be considered a power program. For years even before your 70’s, Belfry was know for their football programs. When you talk football it’s ( at least in my opinion) the past has a lot to do with the present and builds this tradition. Which in turn makes teams that hasn’t won a state championship a power team but puts these quality teams on the field every year. As has been said on here already the classification process has a lot to do with these championships. Not trying to be negative at you just and old man’s opinion and everyone has a right to their opinions.
Patriot1 Wrote:I totally disagree, Belfry has always been a power program. Just like a lot of teams that hasn’t won a championship. I personally think the teams that put on quality teams on the field every year are. So according to your standards if football was like basketball in the state of Kentucky would Belfry ever won a state championship, probably not so they would not be considered a power program. For years even before your 70’s, Belfry was know for their football programs. When you talk football it’s ( at least in my opinion) the past has a lot to do with the present and builds this tradition. Which in turn makes teams that hasn’t won a state championship a power team but puts these quality teams on the field every year. As has been said on here already the classification process has a lot to do with these championships. Not trying to be negative at you just and old man’s opinion and everyone has a right to their opinions.

No problem at all. People see things in different ways. I didn’t address anything prior to the 70’s....but I could have. honestly.....Belfry had varying degrees of success and failure during those years as well. Im certainly not scoffing at our past....but realizing that while we played competitive, hard nosed football during the days of Bodad Varney, Floyd Hatfield, Rick Kestner, just to name a few.....our program was a regional program. Not a known commodity statewide....at least not in my opinion. We jumped on the radar in the 70’s...became widely respected in the 80’s.....and that continued until the early 2000’s.....when this program absolutely exploded👍🏼👍🏼🏈🏈 And yes....I do think championships and runner up’s matter. Not so much regionally....but absolutely in a statewide basis. Living and working out in the state... I know how much the Belfry program is respected. In most circles it’s revered 👍🏼👍🏼
Pages: 1 2