Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville vs Holy Cross
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What do the Louisville Holy Cross Cougars bring to the 2007 Pike County Bowl? What offense/defense do they run? Who did they lose and who is coming back? What transfers or incoming freshmen will make an impact for the Cougars?
I, myself, know nothing of Holy Cross and would be interested in learning about teams outside of my sheltered life in Northeastern Ky.

Glad to see someone trying to get information on other teams in here.
I ran across this little tid bit of information while researching their website.

In the past six years Holy Cross has a regular season record of 52-8. The Holy Cross overall win/loss record for the last six years is 60-13. That is one of the best records in the state.

Funny how we don't hear about them on this side of the state. All I can say is I am impressed.
To put that into perspective for the Northeastern Ky fans. Russell has a 6 year regular season record of 50-10 and a cumulative 6 year record of 68-15.
Wow sounds like the LHC/Pikeville game should be good but im giving the edge to LHC.
warriorpride Wrote:im giving the edge to LHC.
What do you base this on???
Here is an interesting stat, IMO.
Before being knocked out of the playoffs last year by Bethlehem 21-13, Holy Cross (louisville) was eliminated from the playoffs by Danville 5 straight years...in 2003 by 5 pts, in 2004 by 5 pts, and in 2005 by 1 pt in triple overtime.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Here is an interesting stat, IMO.
Before being knocked out of the playoffs last year by Bethlehem 21-13, Holy Cross (louisville) was eliminated from the playoffs by Danville 5 straight years...in 2003 by 5 pts, in 2004 by 5 pts, and in 2005 by 1 pt in triple overtime.
Then that alone is probably enough basis for WarriorPride to make his prediction. However, Pikeville is overdue to get a PC Bowl win and the Honaker boys will reak havic this year so I will take the Panthers in a close one!
Jimmy Nauert is their QB and he seems to be a decent athlete. They lost their leading rusher and a lot off of their line. They have two pretty good WR that could cause some problems, but I see Pikeville and their 18 returning starters taking this one.
warriorpride Wrote:Wow sounds like the LHC/Pikeville game should be good but im giving the edge to LHC.

of course you are
FOX SPORTS Wrote:What do you base this on???

"In the past six years Holy Cross has a regular season record of 52-8. The Holy Cross overall win/loss record for the last six years is 60-13. That is one of the best records in the state." Thats what I base it on. With that kind of a record LHC Im sure has played better teams than pikeville. Now im not saying that Pikeville will get blown out but LHC should still win.
Oh and Pikeville has been playing slouch teams like Belfry, Prestonsburg, E. Jessamine, Corbin and Henry Clay. I definately do not see your point. Please elaborate.
Capt. DH Wrote:Oh and Pikeville has been playing slouch teams like Belfry, Prestonsburg, E. Jessamine, Corbin and Henry Clay. I definately do not see your point. Please elaborate.

well just wait til the 25th and see how about that.
warriorpride Wrote:well just wait til the 25th and see how about that.

Anxiously awaiting
I would say in 2003 Holy Cross was probably the best team in class 1a and when they played danville in the 3rd round that should of been the state championship game. It just seemed everytime danville and holy cross played there was some kinda of deja vu and Danville always won. But can't take away nothing from holy cross great program with great athletes just had a very bad year last year but I dont look for them two have back to back bad years.
warriorpride Wrote:"In the past six years Holy Cross has a regular season record of 52-8. The Holy Cross overall win/loss record for the last six years is 60-13. That is one of the best records in the state." Thats what I base it on. With that kind of a record LHC Im sure has played better teams than pikeville. Now im not saying that Pikeville will get blown out but LHC should still win.

Actually, by Pikeville playing harder teams than LHC is why the Panthers no't have a better record. LHC plays a moderate schedule, year-in-year-out, but typically you don't see them stepping up to play big name teams in class.

LHC will bring about a 70-30 mix of run to pass. They definately are ground oriented. The typical LHC defense plays excellent run defense as well and has talent throughout the team at the skill positions.
warriorpride Wrote:well just wait til the 25th and see how about that.
Louisville Holy Cross will be a fairly experienced team with some good athletes returning. I look for them to throw a little more than in the past with 2nd year starting QB Jimmy Nauert and two quality WR in Chad Hazlewood and Jason Schum.
In my opinion, Pikeville will get blown out in this game.
ComfortEagle Wrote:In my opinion, Pikeville will get blown out in this game.

It is always good to see a PHS alumni dog his former like you are doing now. Have some faith in the Panthers. LHC is good but don't lose hope in PHS.
Capt. DH Wrote:It is always good to see a PHS alumni dog his former like you are doing now. Have some faith in the Panthers. LHC is good but don't lose hope in PHS.
Sometimes the truth hurts. I'm sure CE doesn't want to see PHS lose, but you have to be truthful in games like this.
I don't think the Panthers will get blown out.
Capt. DH Wrote:It is always good to see a PHS alumni dog his former like you are doing now. Have some faith in the Panthers. LHC is good but don't lose hope in PHS.

I'm not "dogging" my former team. I am simply stating my opinion on the game. It is my opinion that Pikeville has been lacking for a while now and while I don't think this game will be a shutout, or a 70-0 game, I think it will be a blowout in Pikeville terms which is losing by 2 or more touchdowns.

Just because I went to school there doesn't mean that I have to fool myself into thinking they are better than they are.
First game of a new offensive system (which looked "okay," but still real "shaky" in their first scrimmage)...what seems to be a completely new offensive line (people in the stands at the first scrimmage said even the returning O-Line starters have switched to new positions with the new system)...losing I think ALL of the returning D-line starters...a team that seems to be riddled with pre-season injuries (I counted I think EIGHT guys in street clothes on the PHS sideline Friday; not sure though if all those were hurt players or suspensions or what)...

...all that, AND playing a PERENNIAL POWER, I'd agree with ComfortEagle about the Holy Cross game (but I'll withold my overall feelings on this team until about mid-way through the season...IF they can get and keep everybody healthy with a BRUTAL non-district schedule, they could be a totally different team in November than they are in August).
ComfortEagle Wrote:Just because I went to school there doesn't mean that I have to fool myself into thinking they are better than they are.

I didn't say to fool yourself into thinking anything. All I said was to have some faith. From a psychological standpoint it appears that by nopt showing faith in your former team now must mean that your former team must not have shown much faith in you then. That is just my professional opinion.
Capt. DH Wrote:I didn't say to fool yourself into thinking anything. All I said was to have some faith. From a psychological standpoint it appears that by nopt showing faith in your former team now must mean that your former team must not have shown much faith in you then. That is just my professional opinion.

Haha, ok. Professional opinion? Are you a psychologist? Lol, my team showed enough faith in me to have me start at center for 3 years.

The problem is that I am being a realist here, while you are being an optimist.

I saw Pikeville play Jenkins last year and I was embarrassed to say that that was my team. The Phelps game I saw was also pretty bad. I took friends from college to the game and I was downright embarrassed and had to leave that game halfway through. I had no explanation for them as to why they played so terrible, after all the great things I had told them about Pikeville. Watching that game there was absolutely no spark, no fire in any of those players. It was one of the most lazy, un-caring football games I have ever seen. And if that's the way Pikeville is going they may have a lot of trouble in the near future, and quite a bit more trouble from someone like LHC.
Beef Wrote:Sometimes the truth hurts. I'm sure CE doesn't want to see PHS lose, but you have to be truthful in games like this.
I don't think the Panthers will get blown out.

You're right Beef, I would be happy if they won, but I'm taking a realistic view at the situation.
bigpun Wrote:Louisville Holy Cross will be a fairly experienced team with some good athletes returning. I look for them to throw a little more than in the past with 2nd year starting QB Jimmy Nauert and two quality WR in Chad Hazlewood and Jason Schum.
Which could hurt if they can throw well because Pikevile is thin at CB espcially with the loss of McAnallen.
Panther Thunder Wrote:...espcially with the loss of McAnallen.

What happened there?
ComfortEagle Wrote:What happened there?
Moving.
ComfortEagle Wrote:I'm not "dogging" my former team. I am simply stating my opinion on the game. It is my opinion that Pikeville has been lacking for a while now and while I don't think this game will be a shutout, or a 70-0 game, I think it will be a blowout in Pikeville terms which is losing by 2 or more touchdowns.

Just because I went to school there doesn't mean that I have to fool myself into thinking they are better than they are.
i have to agree with C E on this one. i look at the records, and i personally think pikeville are just not as good as they used to be. not sayin they are not but jus not AS good. i have to take LHC on this one
Is there a thread on this already ? If there is I must have overlooked it if not what's your take on this game? I have never seen Holy Cross play so believe it Pikeville fans I am for the local team to win. Pikeville! This is especially for the post that called me a Pikeville hater. Especially since I could be from Pikeville .Good luck to all teams in the bowl.
Pages: 1 2