Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Is it wrong to recruit basketball players out of Junior High?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Simple question...Not so simple answers maybe...Is it wrong to recruit basketball players out of Junior High?

I don't know about you, but I was still gripping about learning how to shave in 8th grade, let alone trying to decide a 4-year committment that was still 4 years away.

http://www.kentucky.com/287/story/104688.html
This week, it was announced that Southern California men's basketball coach Tim Floyd had accepted an oral commitment from Ryan Boatwright, an 8th grader from Illinois. Boatwright is a 5-foot-10, 145-pound guard from Aurora.

This is the second year in a row in which USC has accepted an oral pledge from a kid who has yet to start high school (last year, it was Dwayne Polee, a 6-6 forward from Westchester, Calif.).
i don"t like it in high school but what can you do.
I'm sure the boy starts on his HS team doesn't he?
It's ridiculous to see a kid make a verbal commitment to play for a college when he's still deciding on a high school to go to. It's insane. Who's to say USC's coach hasn't communicated with this guy in one way or another? A kid from Illinois wanting to play for USC without some kind of persuasion? I just think it's a little odd. But what do I know? lol
It's not wrong but it's stupid.
it might be bad for the players ego but besides that i thin it's ok.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:It's ridiculous to see a kid make a verbal commitment to play for a college when he's still deciding on a high school to go to. It's insane. Who's to say USC's coach hasn't communicated with this guy in one way or another? A kid from Illinois wanting to play for USC without some kind of persuasion? I just think it's a little odd. But what do I know? lol

I think he went to tim floyd's ball camp
the article is in pikeville paper today
Grand Slam Wrote:I think he went to tim floyd's ball camp
the article is in pikeville paper today
Alright. Thanks, GS. I don't remember reading about that in the LHL. :o
He did go to the ball camp for the coach.

Technically a coach is not allowed to contact a player before his sophomore year (I think). That why these coaches have these camps so they can get early contact with the players. So, the boy "voluntarily" gave the coach his commitment.