Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: This site
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This site used to be fun to come to, read the threads about different things happening with the teams, etc. Now, the past couple of years, hardly anything at all gets posted anymore about what's going, during the season, and especially the off-season. I mean, Betsy Layne just hired a new boys basketball coach in Dougie Hopkins and NO ONE has started a thread about it, and Betsy Layne isn't even listed as one of the schools needing a coach in the OPEN JOBS thread. Has everyone gotten tired of coming here? Tired of getting online? Tired of high school basketball? Even on the girls thread there isn't anything new at all. What is going on around here?
Site traffic always slows down after basketball season and picks up again right before football.

Traffic has dipped in general over the last few years as Facebook and Twitter continue to take bigger pieces of the online pie.

The measuring stick for how great BGR is will always be the posters. Encourage your buddies from Betsy Layne to get on here and let folks know what's up.
daredevil4life Wrote:This site used to be fun to come to, read the threads about different things happening with the teams, etc. Now, the past couple of years, hardly anything at all gets posted anymore about what's going, during the season, and especially the off-season. I mean, Betsy Layne just hired a new boys basketball coach in Dougie Hopkins and NO ONE has started a thread about it, and Betsy Layne isn't even listed as one of the schools needing a coach in the OPEN JOBS thread. Has everyone gotten tired of coming here? Tired of getting online? Tired of high school basketball? Even on the girls thread there isn't anything new at all. What is going on around here?

Dougie was hired as the girls coach. Brad short is still the boys head coach.
A site is only as good as its members and what its members post. If you want to see this site with more content, post more often. Just be sure what you post is accurate.
Omg westside we ain’t got to be a guru do we 😫
By the way guru can bite my left test. Never mind I will hush.
ky playmaker Wrote:Omg westside we ain’t got to be a guru do we 😫

No, I'm just stating the obvious.
Betsy Layne has had a rough few years in hoops. Why are players leaving? Heard a guy last week say, “Betsy Layne is a feeder school for Pikeville!” Don’t get me wrong the few I know that have made the move to Pikeville are GREAT kids, just trying to get a read on why they dislike it so much.
[quote=Hambley]Betsy Layne has had a rough few years in hoops. Why are players leaving? Heard a guy last week say, “Betsy Layne is a feeder school for Pikeville!” Don’t get me wrong the few I know that have made the move to Pikeville are GREAT kids, just trying to get a read on why they dislike it so

It’s alllllll about culture
Hambley Wrote:Betsy Layne has had a rough few years in hoops. Why are players leaving? Heard a guy last week say, “Betsy Layne is a feeder school for Pikeville!” Don’t get me wrong the few I know that have made the move to Pikeville are GREAT kids, just trying to get a read on why they dislike it so much.

As someone who’s familiar with the Betsy Layne area. The culture is dead, no one makes any effort to make the kids look like rockstars or feel appreciated. And no one cares if they win or lose, they just seem happy to field a team it seems like anymore. We are a feeder school for Pikeville and it’s not Pikeville recruiting. It’s us giving the players away.

Watch a Friday night game at Pikevilles home and then watch one at Betsy Laynes home. No comparison
Spud6 Wrote:As someone who’s familiar with the Betsy Layne area. The culture is dead, no one makes any effort to make the kids look like rockstars or feel appreciated. And no one cares if they win or lose, they just seem happy to field a team it seems like anymore. We are a feeder school for Pikeville and it’s not Pikeville recruiting. It’s us giving the players away.

Watch a Friday night game at Pikevilles home and then watch one at Betsy Laynes home. No comparison

It seems like to me Junior Newsome was Betsy Layne basketball. When he came back to coaching in 08, Betsy Layne got back to winning District Titles and also winning All A Regions, the All A State, runners up in the 15th Region and also won the PIT.

Junior leaves and Betsy Layne went downhill fast. If I am not mistaken the first year after he left, Betsy Layne still had a nice regular season but were upset by Allen Central in the first game of the District Tournament and havent advanced to the Region Tournament since Junior's last season.
Dougie was hired as the girls coach
Spud6 Wrote:As someone who’s familiar with the Betsy Layne area. The culture is dead, no one makes any effort to make the kids look like rockstars or feel appreciated. And no one cares if they win or lose, they just seem happy to field a team it seems like anymore. We are a feeder school for Pikeville and it’s not Pikeville recruiting. It’s us giving the players away.

10000000 percent correct
The students don’t care because no effort is put into athletics from the administration.
Also the thing no one talks about is football programs mean everything. It’s no coincidence some of the best basketball runs were when the football team was at its all time best. The poor football program gets nothing put in to it and it hurts all sports. Why on earth would a kid who’s a 2 sport athlete basketball and football come to BL when they have zero football program. Sad thing is there’s a guy down the road who’s probably the most successful football coach not coaching at Belfry in east KY history who wanted the job and they wouldn’t give it to him
You will see Bobcat basketball begin to improve greatly because of young talent coming soon. Good players make good coaches.
Winning will bring back the crowds and excitement.Try letting the home teams students in free maybe Mom and Dad can come more.
4low Wrote:Winning will bring back the crowds and excitement.Try letting the home teams students in free maybe Mom and Dad can come more.

If I'm not mistaken, Perry County either has or did give free admission to all students to athletic events. That would be a nice thing for Floyd County to do.
4low Wrote:You will see Bobcat basketball begin to improve greatly because of young talent coming soon. Good players make good coaches.

That’s exactly my point, they probably have amazing young talent. The question is, will they stay?
Westside Wrote:A site is only as good as its members and what its members post. If you want to see this site with more content, post more often. Just be sure what you post is accurate.

This. I'm all for an open forum and I was really discouraged by the lack of openness (that's putting it lightly) to other possibly unpopular opinions on the other site. However, we went through a 3 or 4 year stretch (and still a bit to this day) where the inmates were running the asylum on this site. I don't know if that's why all of our more quality posters that jumped ship ultimately left, but I know for a fact that several of the posters from Somerset have left and haven't come back for that very reason.

So with that all said, if you want this site to get back to where it was 5-10 years ago, encourage solid discussion, post threads about your team even if no one comments, and be respectful. 5 or 6 quality posters per fanbase can make your presence felt on this site, but it only takes one or two bad apples to turn it around.
clipperw Wrote:It seems like to me Junior Newsome was Betsy Layne basketball. When he came back to coaching in 08, Betsy Layne got back to winning District Titles and also winning All A Regions, the All A State, runners up in the 15th Region and also won the PIT.

Junior leaves and Betsy Layne went downhill fast. If I am not mistaken the first year after he left, Betsy Layne still had a nice regular season but were upset by Allen Central in the first game of the District Tournament and havent advanced to the Region Tournament since Junior's last season.

Coach Newsome was crucial and you wouldn’t find a more dedicated person than he was to coaching during his time. But he coached a lot of talent and talent that had played together since 4th grade and on. You think Nathan Martin, Casey Adkins, Dylan Maldonado, Derek Tackett, and Andrew Roberts. That was your all a state championship team right there. Those boys really made it easy for Coach Newsome to just put in sets and offenses.

Then you think about the last time Betsy Layne had talent in basketball was Peyton Case and his groups senior year. After they season is when it all went down hill for the program. You had 7-9 players leave for Pikeville and one to South Floyd the following couple years and it’s never caught back up yet.

But there’s a lot of talent from 4th to 8th grade right now but the question is will they stick together. That’s to be determined.
Spud6 Wrote:But there’s a lot of talent from 4th to 8th grade right now but the question is will they stick together. That’s to be determined.

I hope that they do, but I'm not sure they will. The talent they had in the early part of the decade had true loyalty and school spirit. Hopefully Brad Short can keep the kids there. If I am not mistaken another player from that 2011 team, Dylan Hamilton recently graduated from Morehead State with a teaching degree and he has been an assistant for football. If he would like to do it, he would be a great asset for Brad to have on the bench as an assistant as someone who has some credibility with that All A State Championship ring as well as a passion for the Betsy Layne/Mud Creek community. You can never have too many people like him in your program.

I dont know what happened exactly but at one point John M. Stumbo was a great feeder school for Betsy Layne back when Hayes Hamilton was the coach. When South Floyd opened some of the Mud Creek kids started going there and when Hayes retired Stumbo's boys basketball team started to decline and if I am not mistaken some of the Betsy Layne Elementary team had kids that actually lived on Mud Creek but went to Betsy Layne Elementary.

Something else that happened to Betsy Layne was they lost two of their feeder schools in 1998 when the board closed Harold and Prater and sent those kids on to Betsy Layne Elementary. I remember despite it being a small school, Prater had a wonderful coach in Zenith Hall who had those boys ready to play, much like Stumbo under Hayes.
clipperw Wrote:I hope that they do, but I'm not sure they will. The talent they had in the early part of the decade had true loyalty and school spirit. Hopefully Brad Short can keep the kids there. If I am not mistaken another player from that 2011 team, Dylan Hamilton recently graduated from Morehead State with a teaching degree and he has been an assistant for football. If he would like to do it, he would be a great asset for Brad to have on the bench as an assistant as someone who has some credibility with that All A State Championship ring as well as a passion for the Betsy Layne/Mud Creek community. You can never have too many people like him in your program.

I dont know what happened exactly but at one point John M. Stumbo was a great feeder school for Betsy Layne back when Hayes Hamilton was the coach. When South Floyd opened some of the Mud Creek kids started going there and when Hayes retired Stumbo's boys basketball team started to decline and if I am not mistaken some of the Betsy Layne Elementary team had kids that actually lived on Mud Creek but went to Betsy Layne Elementary.

Something else that happened to Betsy Layne was they lost two of their feeder schools in 1998 when the board closed Harold and Prater and sent those kids on to Betsy Layne Elementary. I remember despite it being a small school, Prater had a wonderful coach in Zenith Hall who had those boys ready to play, much like Stumbo under Hayes.

John M Stumbo could have produced a lot of talent, but they had a principal that didn't support athletic. A lot of the talent chose to go Betsy Layne Elementary because of that. A couple years before that went down, they had a really good team with a lot of talent: Brandon Kidd, Mason Hall, Justin Slone, Brock Slone, Matthew Tackett, Kyle Hall, etc Out of that group all but one graduated from South Floyd.
Glory days of 58th district basketball. In the 1960s teams that won 15th region tournament.Wheelright,Garrett,Wayland,Martin,McDowell,Maytown won it two times.Wow!
If I'm not mistaken the last team that won a regional out of the 58th was the 2001 south floyd team..that's a long drought!!!!
Mamba Wrote:If I'm not mistaken the last team that won a regional out of the 58th was the 2001 south floyd team..that's a long drought!!!!

You are correct. After that, the only time a 58th District team made the Region final was Betsy Layne in 2010.
Old coach of mine always said it’s more about the Jimmys and Joes instead of X’s and O’s
4low Wrote:You will see Bobcat basketball begin to improve greatly because of young talent coming soon. Good players make good coaches.

Your right with Parsons and brown kid in 6th grade probably one of the best duos in the 15th region and that class heading into the 3rd grade is LOADED the Newsome kid and the 2 Hamilton kids are going to be a Big 3 this region hasn't seen in a long time
DawgBall Wrote:Old coach of mine always said it’s more about the Jimmys and Joes instead of X’s and O’s

You probably had a good coach that was quite modest. I've seen some coaches with a ton of talent that had no clue how to use it. Also Jimmy and Joe would much rather play for Junior Newsome than let's say a Bob Smith if Bob Smith has no track record. In short, if you want to rebuild with a no name coach you better be patient and give them a chance or hire someone that can attract kids to your program. It's all about what route you want to take and how quickly do you want to get there. In my opinion when Junior came back to Betsy Layne I would have also found his replacement to bring in with him. It would have been a young guy that had some swag and he could learn from one of the best. They knew Junior wouldn't be there forever.
t4p3r8 Wrote:You probably had a good coach that was quite modest. I've seen some coaches with a ton of talent that had no clue how to use it. Also Jimmy and Joe would much rather play for Junior Newsome than let's say a Bob Smith if Bob Smith has no track record. In short, if you want to rebuild with a no name coach you better be patient and give them a chance or hire someone that can attract kids to your program. It's all about what route you want to take and how quickly do you want to get there. In my opinion when Junior came back to Betsy Layne I would have also found his replacement to bring in with him. It would have been a young guy that had some swag and he could learn from one of the best. They knew Junior wouldn't be there forever.

They had him on the staff and he went to Pburg to coach the girls high school basketball team. He was at BLHS as Ana assistant for 4 years and was there during the All A title year and on. He was a Betsy Layne homer and a Updike basketball graduate. But they didn’t pick him as Coach Newsome’s replacement but instead took another assistant on that coaching staff to be the head coach who is now already gone from the program.
Perhaps we should change the thread title?
A few mentioned John M feeder school. I remember back in the mid/late 80’s they always had a great basketball team. Seems like they were one of the best in the county for years
Pages: 1 2