Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Homer Bailey
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Congrats Homer on his first win of the season. He pitched good not great but made a good showing in his Reds debut. This kid has a bright future.
I agree. He struck out his first batter that he faced in the bigs. I was impressed with his aggressiveness at the plate. He was in aww at the dish, you could see him keep looking at his picture on the jumbo-tron. Not bad for a first start, in time he will settle down. On the bright side he got the shaving cream pie to the face after the game. He could be a major contributor to the Reds this season.
What a name for a pitcher... HOMER bailey. That was the topic for a ESPN vote on sportscenter with Homer Bailey and a couple other "weird" pitcher names and Homer Bailey got the most votes for having the strangest name for a pitcher.
I was impressed with the way he kept his composure like he did. Striking out his first batter, and then striking out the batter with the bases loaded. This kid has a BRIGHT future ahead of him.
Bailey is what the Redws need right now..PITCHING!
StrikeoutKing Wrote:I was impressed with the way he kept his composure like he did. Striking out his first batter, and then striking out the batter with the bases loaded. This kid has a BRIGHT future ahead of him.

Homer has to believe in his stuff, like when the bases were loaded in the 5th and he struck out Delucci to end the frame to a standing ovation. If he believes in his stuff, he'll go deeper into games and become as brilliant as Maddux and others before him.
i did not get to watch the game but he sounds good to me.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Bailey is what the Redws need right now..PITCHING!

agreed
Maybe they can get Bobby Livingston up for longer than what he was earlier, and call up Phil Dumatrait. It doesn't look like this year will be getting any better (I hope I'm wrong). I think we should start looking at the future and developing players for the next few years.
Homer had a pretty good start going through the first 6 innings today, giving up only 3 runs. He was in line to get the win, but he walked the first 2 in the 7th, and both ended up coming around to score against the hapless bullpen. When it was all said and done, his line (6 IP, 5 ER) wasn't all that great, but I feel like he actually pitched better than last week's game. He was more pitch-efficient, and only had one rough inning, but Narron left him out a bit too long and it cost him in the end (although you can't blame Narron much for wanting to keep his starter out as long as possible as bad as the pen has been).
More Cowbell Wrote:Homer had a pretty good start going through the first 6 innings today, giving up only 3 runs. He was in line to get the win, but he walked the first 2 in the 7th, and both ended up coming around to score against the hapless bullpen. When it was all said and done, his line (6 IP, 5 ER) wasn't all that great, but I feel like he actually pitched better than last week's game. He was more pitch-efficient, and only had one rough inning, but Narron left him out a bit too long and it cost him in the end (although you can't blame Narron much for wanting to keep his starter out as long as possible as bad as the pen has been).

The only thing magic about Gary "the Magic Man" Majewski will be his disappearing act. The bullpen cost us the game today.
jammin' jamey Wrote:The only thing magic about Gary "the Magic Man" Majewski will be his disappearing act. The bullpen cost us the game today.

I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't want to get too far off-topic so I started a separate thread to vent. Big Grin

Back to Homer, I listened to most of the game today, and I thought he pitched pretty well aside from the 2nd inning. His line would have been much better if Narron had pulled him after the 6th.
jammin' jamey Wrote:The only thing magic about Gary "the Magic Man" Majewski will be his disappearing act. The bullpen cost us the game today.
this seems to be a everyday thing.
I was at the game. Homer got a standing O when he left. Majewski came out to the mound with a can of gas in one hand. Stanton had a jug of kerosene. The relief is awful. Awful.
venom93 Wrote:I was at the game. Homer got a standing O when he left. Majewski came out to the mound with a can of gas in one hand. Stanton had a jug of kerosene. The relief is awful. Awful.

Amen brother. Thankfully, the Reds sent him down today. :thumpsup:

BTW, go to my thread on the Magic Man and vent, or to sing the praises of his demotion.
Homer looked good again last night against Oakland.
rallo316 Wrote:Homer looked good again last night against Oakland.

I listened to a little bit in the car and it sounded like he was pitching a gem. He was poised, calm, and aware of his pitches. He is already making improvements with each start. I am so excited to finally see this kids career unfold.
Scotty_doesn't_know Wrote:I listened to a little bit in the car and it sounded like he was pitching a gem. He was poised, calm, and aware of his pitches. He is already making improvements with each start. I am so excited to finally see this kids career unfold.

Allowed 2 hits and actually had a no-hitter going into the 5th. By far the most dominating performance by a Reds pitcher this season. Only problem is that he walked 4 batters, but he better command of his fastball and hit 95-96 throughout the night on the gun. TongueirateSho
jammin' jamey Wrote:Allowed 2 hits and actually had a no-hitter going into the 5th. By far the most dominating performance by a Reds pitcher this season. Only problem is that he walked 4 batters, but he better command of his fastball and hit 95-96 throughout the night on the gun. TongueirateSho

That is great news. I have not been able to really keep track of the games other than just reading the box scores when i get home. Thanks for the extra info!
Bailey keeps improving with every start. It was about time the Reds organization called this kid up. Maybe they can make a move with Dumatrait or Livingston. Bailey has a BRIGHT future ahead of him, that's for sure.
Wow! 7 innings and only 2 hits? Very nice, but what may be most impressive is the way he has cut down his pitch count. After he hit 115 in only 5 innings his first start, he got through 7 with under 100 pitches yeaterday. At that rate, they could've even left him out longer, but I agree with taking him out when they did.

Seeing how good he pitched yesterday gives me a little tingly feeling... Big Grin
More Cowbell Wrote:Wow! 7 innings and only 2 hits? Very nice, but what may be most impressive is the way he has cut down his pitch count. After he hit 115 in only 5 innings his first start, he got through 7 with under 100 pitches yeaterday. At that rate, they could've even left him out longer, but I agree with taking him out when they did.

Seeing how good he pitched yesterday gives me a little tingly feeling... Big Grin

I know! It is the most excitment that has been in the air around the Reds organization since....they almost made it to the playoffs with a .500 record (last year)!!!!
I may have to try to make a special trip to Cincy sometime later this year, just to see him pitch.
LOL That is some serious dedication....... I will just wait until I go back to school :thumbs:
Homer absolutely got lit up tonight, in what was by far his worst outing so far. He didn't even make it out of the second inning, giving up 6 ER on 6 hits and 3 walks in 1 2/3 innings. Very disappointing, but hopefully he'll find something to learn from it...
it was just his turn even Greg Maddux has a bad outing 1 or 2 times a year sometimes the ball stays high in the zone Homer will be fine.
He's just 21 years old. This was only his 4th major league start. He'll have his good and bad games, and this was obviously one of the bad ones he'll experience in what is sure to be a fine career. It was bound to happen eventually. No pitcher is exempt from a bad outing...not Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, or Greg Maddux. He'll be fine. The big league level is still a lot different then the AAA level, as much as most people think otherwise. Let's see how he responds his next outing after being roughed up last night.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:He's just 21 years old. This was only his 4th major league start. He'll have his good and bad games, and this was obviously one of the bad ones he'll experience in what is sure to be a fine career. It was bound to happen eventually. No pitcher is exempt from a bad outing...not Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, or Greg Maddux. He'll be fine. The big league level is still a lot different then the AAA level, as much as most people think otherwise. Let's see how he responds his next outing after being roughed up last night.

I never said he wouldn't be fine. Most young guys will have their ups and downs, but it's still disappointing when a pitcher (any pitcher, not just a prized rookie) doesn't make it out of the 2nd inning. Hopefully he will use this experience to learn and become better in the long run. That said, Homer's stuff still says he will be the real deal. What remains to be seen is his mental makeup, how he bounces back from this.
More Cowbell Wrote:I never said he wouldn't be fine. Most young guys will have their ups and downs, but it's still disappointing when a pitcher (any pitcher, not just a prized rookie) doesn't make it out of the 2nd inning. Hopefully he will use this experience to learn and become better in the long run. That said, Homer's stuff still says he will be the real deal. What remains to be seen is his mental makeup, how he bounces back from this.

I am sure this will end up being a good thing for Baily. I am sure that right now his morale is shaken but he can grow and learn from an outing like this. Hopefully he can apply what he has learned in his next start.