Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Should The Orlando Magic Allow Donovan Out of His Contract?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
He did afterall, sign a legally binding contract. If this were a cell phone company, they'd make Billy D. pay a nice $200 early termination fee.
If I was the president of Magic, I would let him out of his contract. But the question nagging me is that, why would you go back to Florida? You have won two national championships, you've been coach of the year, and you've coached alot of players onto NBA careers. What more do you have to accomplish?
Yep, let him out.
Charge him(or Florida) a buyout to cover expenses(like the 200 or so new season tickets)
But I believe the Magic will also hit him with a an NBA coaching ban with the exception of the Magic too.
No, he signed a contract, therefore it is binding. He is 42 years old and old enough to make his own decisions. This pitiful excuse that he was "pressured" into making a decision is so pathetic. Suck it up, be a man Donovan !!!
Let him out, but not for Donavon's sake, but for the Magic's own sake. You don't want to strongarm a coach to be there, who doesn't want to be there anymore. Make him sign a clause to not coach in the NBA until the length of the contract would have expired, and hit him with a small to moderate termination fee.
Let him out, bring in someone like one of the Van Gundy brothers, who actually have a decent track record in the NBA.
BelfryPride Wrote:No, he signed a contract, therefore it is binding. He is 42 years old and old enough to make his own decisions. This pitiful excuse that he was "pressured" into making a decision is so pathetic. Suck it up, be a man Donovan !!!

Why would you want a coach that doesn't wanna be there. Yeah I agree he is old enough to make his own decisions and that "pressure" crap aint gonna cut it. He made a mistake, he seen the dollar sign and didn't think twice about it. I'm sure Ricky P probably had a lil talk with him.
I would release him but ban him for a few years from coaching in the NBA.
If I was the GM or whoever is responsible for hiring him I would drag it out long enough until he finally commits to the team...THEN FIRE HIM!!!
I think I read in the paper this morning that they were letting him out of his contract but with a 5 year ban on NBA coaching. I can't remember if there was anything else.
He probably talked to Pitino and Ricky P said " did you not see me age 25 years in my short stint in Boston?" Ricky P learned that those players don't care what you say, if the players are that good then you will play. Unlike in college when the coach can determine whether the player gets to the next level. The players in college will run thru a wall for their coaches and listen to them and take their advice but when they make it to the big show, the players are in control and not the coaches.
I voted yes because Im sure the Magic doesn't want a coach that doesn't want to be there.

BTW....If Donovan is so happy at Florida, why is all of this going on to begin with??
I would let him out of his contract with the magic but I would not allow him back to the gators
it is over Orlando hired Stan Van Gundy today according to espn.com.
I am glad! This makes it 10 times more fun now when UK plays Florida! Wouldn't have been the same next year and for years to come without Billy D on the sidelines when UK sticks it to them!