Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Mr. Basketball = a joke
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
That is all. Moreno, Tandy or Johnson were the clear choices. Instead a kid who’s coach dodged all decent competition wins it barely playing 10 games against an embarrassing schedule.

What a shame.
Who won?
Um..yeah.
The kid that is going to Kentucky is a joke.
Just seen Allen won, don't blame the kid blame the voters.
I’m not taking it out on home. Agree 100%. Great kid I’m sure. But his coach put a joke schedule together and refused to play the other top candidates. I know that for a fact.
To clarify. I don’t think the kid who won mr basketball is a joke. It’s obvious those who voted on the award are.
Lol- Allen didn’t even win 10th region player of the year. But he’s mr. basketball. Hokie dokie. The voters should be ashamed of themselves
I said in the Mr basketball finalist thread that Allen would have a shot even tho he only played like 3-4 games. I don’t agree with it but I’m not surprised again I would voted Tandy.
Also I think this is a career award not just solely based on senior year
Before the injury the kid was the top player in KENTUCKY. Hands down. He deserved Mr. Basketball
Johnson is better
Seems a lot like football, sign or commit to UK and win the award. Becoming way to obvious.
AnswertheBell Wrote:Seems a lot like football, sign or commit to UK and win the award. Becoming way to obvious.

I'm a huge UK fan. Biggest you'll ever meet, but you're right.

And to say flatly that allen is the best player ridiculous. There is no way of knowing.

He put up great #'s but it was also against teams that were TERRIBLE and he was the only decent player on his team. So he got all the shots. The other contenders played on good teams and shared the ball. They also played against top competition from multiple states.

Allen got the scholarship offer from UK because we all know that the guys with the 12th and 13th scholarships at UK usually don't play and don't contribute until late in their career. I think Allen is good. I think allen could end up being a Derrick Willis/Doninque Hawkins type player at UK. But he's not more deserving than Moreno, Tandy, or Johnson. If he had played the full season? Maybe. But even at that he still would have faced a terrible schedule.
Tailback44 Wrote:I said in the Mr basketball finalist thread that Allen would have a shot even tho he only played like 3-4 games. I don’t agree with it but I’m not surprised again I would voted Tandy.
He played in 13 games not 3 or 4
Congrats to the kid but I think he missed to much of the season to get the award
Now that he won Mr. Basketball I wonder if he will recommit to Nebraska?Confusedhh:
I've seen all the top kids in the state play....Johnson, Tandy, Moreno and Allen. I've seen them play multiple times. When Healthy....Donte Allen is CLEARLY the best player.

Allen
Tandy
Johnson
Moreno

In that order.

I do agree that playing in only 13 games should probably exclude a player from the award....but don't blame the kid. He didn't vote....he didn't establish the rules.

I know several folks around the state are upset by the decision......and I clearly understand why.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I've seen all the top kids in the state play....Johnson, Tandy, Moreno and Allen. I've seen them play multiple times. When Healthy....Donte Allen is CLEARLY the best player.

Allen
Tandy
Johnson
Moreno

In that order.

I do agree that playing in only 13 games should probably exclude a player from the award....but don't blame the kid. He didn't vote....he didn't establish the rules.

I know several folks around the state are upset by the decision......and I clearly understand why.

That is kinda where I am with this. Had Allen played the whole year, or heck even another 10 games or so, we are not even having a discussion about this.
I also wonder if 13 games in one's senior year is enough to warrant winning Mr. Basketball, no matter how good you look in those games. But I can also see the argument of giving it to the best player regardless. Tough decision.

Side note, I did watch Tandy play in person once this year, and I didn't come away thinking "that guy is the best player in the state". But he may have had an off-game that day.