Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Are Participation Trophies Really So Bad?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I was involved with coaching Little League, one of the no-no's included in the "Official Regulations and Playing Rules" handbook was to be held in particular reverence. Only the Charter Committee in Williamsport, PA., has the authority to change or waiver ANY rule or regulation. End of debate and BTW, it was the committee which put the word 'any' in all caps.

Nonetheless every year as sure as springtime and Little League Baseball, come the requests and in some cases demands, to change things around. Which of course is the number one no-no. See, the handbook 'purpose' section goes on to explain the reason why rules are not be compromised in any way and does so in strict detail;
EXCERPT----
"Better than any other youth sport activity, baseball and softball have become the thread that has sewn together a patchwork of nations and cultures arouind the world. Children in diverse nations such as Israel, Jordan, Ukraine, Germany, Japan, Canada, Hong Kong, Poland, Mexico, China, Venezuela, South Africa and the US have discovered baseball and softball ---- Little League Baseball and Softball--- are ways to bring their people a sport that mirrors life itself."
END EXCERPT

I would add to that statement the likelihood that perhaps better than any other medium, Little League Baseball imparts many ideals of the 'American way of life in general', to other cultures. That friends, is why Williamsport wants to maintain the purity and integrity of the sport. But just as liberalism has affected every other sector of American life, so too have they polluted baseball with their compromise and relativity. And thus will come the annual calls for bending the rules.

One doesn't hear this a lot these days, but did you know the players have a 'Little League Pledge' they're supposed to recite? "I TRUST IN GOD, I LOVE MY COUNTRY AND WILL RESPECT ITS LAWS, I WILL PLAY FAIR AND STRIVE TO WIN. BUT WIN OR LOSE I WILL ALWAYS DO MY BEST ."

Again from the 'purpose' section of the rules handbook... "Baseball and softball embody the discipline of teamwork. They challenge players towards perfection of physical skills and bring into play the excitement of tactics and strategy. The very nature of baseball and softball also teach that while every player eventually strikes out, or is on the losing team, there is always another chance for success in the next at-bat or game." ----------

The players are supposed to aspire to win. And the best traditions of our entire culture teach us that we are to be our best in this life, and that means in every aspect. Participation trophies teach to the contrary, that people deserve trophies for just being there. The excellence of competition brings out the best in people, be that at play or at work. IMHO, to teach children to expect to be honored with trophies for just being there, stunts them in every way possible. However, I do believe the President of the League should make an address both on opening day and on the close of the regular season, congratulating the players in general for their participation.

But subtly now enters the blasphemy of liberalism where participation trophies will ultimately give way later in the indoctrination process, to gender blending and special interests and reasons why people shouldn't be held to any kind of standard because that they say, that is discriminatory. Nope, we can't make demands of folks, that would scar their little psyches. In fact, freshman representative AOC says we should give people a thousand dollar participation trophy once a month. Why even try when you know you can't lose, and anything you stand for is acceptable?

There is an old hymn written in 1912 by George Bennard and used by the famed evangelist Billy Sunday in his crusades. "The Old Rugged Cross." Refrain of the hymn: "So I'll cherish the old rugged cross, Till my trophies at last I lay down"

I can assure that the Lord does not hand out trophies just for being born because they would be meaningless. In fact, there is nothing personally noble or noteworthy about being born at all, that is the Lord's work, His purview. And it is He Who decides our physical attributes, as it is He Who will judge the shortfalls of men. Not government. No, as Dr Martin Luther King so ably pointed out, it's not about race or skin color, it's what we do with our lives and the decisions we make that distinguish us to be singled out for lauds rewards and trophies. In other words, "the content of our character." The successful life really is a matter of personal choice and of course, the greatest choice of all is whether we bow before the Lord to honor Him with our lives.

The above is the spiritual side of the concept of course. But on this side of eternity be it in high school or college or on into adult life, be it on the baseball field or the battle field or any other aspect of life, we should be at our best. But as has been so clearly on display in the US Congress, this irrational teaching that the better things of life are to be expected for basically nothing, is the rotten fruit being offered to our youth by liberals. The participation trophy. Surely we can do better by this nation's most precious resource, our children.
I don't believe in participation trophies just to give everybody an award for nothing. But I'll tell you what I do believe in, and that's giving every child an opportunity. Why not give them a chance to see what it's like to succeed? Too many parents are worried when their child gets a bunch of first place ribbons but then in a different category gets a second place ribbon while other children are sitting back watching and collecting the scraps.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/kobe-br...yce-harper