Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 59th District Championship Pikeville 74 - SV 68
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Congrats to Panthers on their 3rd straight district title! These seniors are only the third group in the history of Pikeville basketball to win 3 district championships in a row. Both teams played hard in this one, but that’s nothing unusual for these two teams. I believe they are the two best teams in the region. Proud of my son, Connor, as well as all the Panthers!
Congratulations to the Panthers you played like a championship team tonight
Game was great as expected.
Hopefully there will be one more game to decide who is the best.
2-2 series
Kyle Watkins has become the added offensive weapon pikeville needed the last month. Kid has been a stud. They play this way and it’s 3 straight to Rupp too
Great win Pikeville
SouthEast18 Wrote:Kyle Watkins has become the added offensive weapon pikeville needed the last month. Kid has been a stud. They play this way and it’s 3 straight to Rupp too

Yep, you said it.
Replying to a post in the update thread...

PHSForever Wrote:Halftime foul totals: Pikeville with 8 players getting time and 12 fouls with Shelby Valley having 10 players getting time and 13 fouls.

End of game totals: Pikeville with 8 players and 21 fouls and Valley with 10 players, 28 fouls. Cameron Worrix only one who fouled out. Several fouls toward end of game contributed to total discrepancy. So it sounded like an overall fairly balanced called game. Pikeville was actually down shortly after 3rd started and rallied back.

Since I wasn’t there, I can only go by stats and what I’m told. I see that Connor Roberts attempted NO FTs in the 1st half and Watkins only 4. Watkins finished with 12 attempts and Roberts with 3. Sounds to me like they got into attack mode and drives to the basket will often result in more fouls called than standing around shooting 3s will. Potter once again put up huge numbers and shot most FT attempts for Valley so it sounds like they lapsed back into waiting for him to carry them.

The foul problems had a huge impact on Shelby Valley. Sam Stanley, after scoring 8 quick points at the start, picked up his second foul and sat much of the first quarter. He played a little in the second quarter, then got #3 and went to the bench again. He then got #4 about ten seconds into the third quarter. Amazingly, he played most of the final quarter without fouling out, but it was obvious he was playing very cautiously on defense trying to avoid the 5th foul.

Cameron Worrix also picked up #3 in the first half. His playing time in the second half was also limited, but SV had managed to withstand all the foul trouble and actually had a 8-point lead with about 3 1/2 minutes to go in the game. But then Worrix fouled out, and things went downhill from there.

Apparently the final foul numbers were 28 on Valley and 21 on Pikeville. I was at the game, and I can promise you there were not "several fouls at the end" on SV's part. They actually led most of the 4th quarter and it was Pikeville who had to start purposely fouling with about 3 minutes to go (a strategy which worked well, as SV shot free throws poorly at the end of the game). Then once Pikeville took the lead, SV purposely fouled a couple times at the main end. So a 7 foul difference sounds about right. I do know that early in the 3rd quarter, the count showed 8 fouls on Valley and only 1 on Pikeville.

The main issue is the fact that 2 of SV's starters had their minutes severely limited by all the fouls. Valley does not have a deep bench, so this was a major factor for them to overcome. Amazingly, they still had an 8-point lead toward the end, but their foul shooting and defense did let them down. So they played a part in their own demise.

Anyway, as others have said, it's now tied 2-2 on the season. SV has a 15th All-A region title, while Pikeville has a 59th district title. I believe there is a great chance we see the rubber match in a 5th game at the Expo next week.
Coach Roberts Wrote:Congrats to Panthers on their 3rd straight district title! These seniors are only the third group in the history of Pikeville basketball to win 3 district championships in a row. Both teams played hard in this one, but that’s nothing unusual for these two teams. I believe they are the two best teams in the region. Proud of my son, Connor, as well as all the Panthers!
3rd three-peat since 1960.

1995-1997, 2011-2013, 2017-2019. So two in one decade after none in the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, or 00’s.

Pikeville actually has had 15 senior groups “3-peat” in District titles. Thanks to a stretch of 9 consecutive from 1952-1960 under Coach John Bill Trivette.

Depending on how you classify pre-1932 (beginning of 64 district format) “district” championships PHS has 39 or 46.

A small stretch saw 128 district and Pikeville won two during that time. Pre-1932 titles were more similar to a sectional or regional title but are listed as District along with some classifications that I believe JR Vanhoose could explain best.

Congratulations to Coach Justice & the Panthers on an awesome run and cementing themselves in Panther basketball history.

Hopefully they are yet to be finished cutting nets in 2019.
Also, fun fact. If you count pre-1932 titles, this is first time since 1929 that the Boys and Girls have won District Championships in the same season. Could have happened in 1930 but no score is listed for a girls district championship between Pikeville & Paintsville.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Also, fun fact. If you count pre-1932 titles, this is first time since 1929 that the Boys and Girls have won District Championships in the same season. Could have happened in 1930 but no score is listed for a girls district championship between Pikeville & Paintsville.
Thanks for the information Panther Thunder!
Pikeville still making a lot of silly fouls when the ball is 30’ from the basket. I hope to see them clean that up.
Well Pikeville and Valley are the best in the Region I do believe these will meet one more time this year and I’m sure it will be a good one can Pikeville make it 3 trips in a row to Rupp
More Cowbell Wrote:Replying to a post in the update thread...

The foul problems had a huge impact on Shelby Valley. Sam Stanley, after scoring 8 quick points at the start, picked up his second foul and sat much of the first quarter. He played a little in the second quarter, then got #3 and went to the bench again. He then got #4 about ten seconds into the third quarter. Amazingly, he played most of the final quarter without fouling out, but it was obvious he was playing very cautiously on defense trying to avoid the 5th foul.

Cameron Worrix also picked up #3 in the first half. His playing time in the second half was also limited, but SV had managed to withstand all the foul trouble and actually had a 8-point lead with about 3 1/2 minutes to go in the game. But then Worrix fouled out, and things went downhill from there.

Apparently the final foul numbers were 28 on Valley and 21 on Pikeville. I was at the game, and I can promise you there were not "several fouls at the end" on SV's part. They actually led most of the 4th quarter and it was Pikeville who had to start purposely fouling with about 3 minutes to go (a strategy which worked well, as SV shot free throws poorly at the end of the game). Then once Pikeville took the lead, SV purposely fouled a couple times at the main end. So a 7 foul difference sounds about right. I do know that early in the 3rd quarter, the count showed 8 fouls on Valley and only 1 on Pikeville.

The main issue is the fact that 2 of SV's starters had their minutes severely limited by all the fouls. Valley does not have a deep bench, so this was a major factor for them to overcome. Amazingly, they still had an 8-point lead toward the end, but their foul shooting and defense did let them down. So they played a part in their own demise.

Anyway, as others have said, it's now tied 2-2 on the season. SV has a 15th All-A region title, while Pikeville has a 59th district title. I believe there is a great chance we see the rubber match in a 5th game at the Expo next week.

Wow, are we really whining because a player finished with 4 fouls and had to be careful on defense? Because that only happens in almost every game. Truth is Hicks took a big gamble having players with 2 fouls on the floor in the first half and players with 3 fouls out there to start the 2nd half. That almost always leads to being a liability on defense and/or getting more fouls.
The gamble didn't work, it usually doesn't. SV got the benefit of a few questionable calls in this game as well. Also, saying it went downhill at the end because a player fouled out who isn't the go-to guy on offense, isn't one of the leading rebounders and isn't depended on for handling the ball is weak. Give Pikeville credit for coming back. They were the better team that night, period. A little stat for you, SV shot 85 free throws in the first 3 meetings while Pikeville shot 45. That's a massive difference and you didn't see people throwing a fit. SV even shot many more free throws in the game at Pikeville that Pikeville won. You can't count on that discrepancy to go on forever.

Having said all that, I'm hoping for a Pikeville/SV regional final. They have been the two best teams all year and have only lost to each other in the 15th.
Great District Win for Pikeville :Cheerlead:Cheerlead:Cheerlead
jetpilot Wrote:Wow, are we really whining because a player finished with 4 fouls and had to be careful on defense? Because that only happens in almost every game. Truth is Hicks took a big gamble having players with 2 fouls on the floor in the first half and players with 3 fouls out there to start the 2nd half. That almost always leads to being a liability on defense and/or getting more fouls.
The gamble didn't work, it usually doesn't. SV got the benefit of a few questionable calls in this game as well. Also, saying it went downhill at the end because a player fouled out who isn't the go-to guy on offense, isn't one of the leading rebounders and isn't depended on for handling the ball is weak. Give Pikeville credit for coming back. They were the better team that night, period. A little stat for you, SV shot 85 free throws in the first 3 meetings while Pikeville shot 45. That's a massive difference and you didn't see people throwing a fit. SV even shot many more free throws in the game at Pikeville that Pikeville won. You can't count on that discrepancy to go on forever.

Having said all that, I'm hoping for a Pikeville/SV regional final. They have been the two best teams all year and have only lost to each other in the 15th.

Not whining at all, just pointing out facts. The foul trouble kept multiple SV starters on the bench for large portions of the game. If you think that didn't affect the outcome, then I don't know what to tell you. Go watch a game in person some time.

And yes, losing a senior who is one of the two primary ballhandlers, and is the second leading scorer, had a major effect on the game. That would be the same as if Pikeville had Watkins or Billiter foul out.

Funny thing is, I recall you and another Pikeville poster "whining" about the free throw discrepancy in the Paintsville game a week ago. So apparently there's something fishy if the calls go against the Panthers, but when they benefit them it's all good? Got it.
More Cowbell Wrote:Not whining at all, just pointing out facts. The foul trouble kept multiple SV starters on the bench for large portions of the game. If you think that didn't affect the outcome, then I don't know what to tell you. Go watch a game in person some time.

And yes, losing a senior who is one of the two primary ballhandlers, and is the second leading scorer, had a major effect on the game. That would be the same as if Pikeville had Watkins or Billiter foul out.

Funny thing is, I recall you and another Pikeville poster "whining" about the free throw discrepancy in the Paintsville game a week ago. So apparently there's something fishy if the calls go against the Panthers, but when they benefit them it's all good? Got it.

LOL stupid comment, I have been to 100s of games...
2nd part you do have it. All good when SV shot 40 more FTs than Pikeville the first 3 games then cry a river when Pikeville shoots more.
jetpilot Wrote:LOL stupid comment, I have been to 100s of games...
2nd part you do have it. All good when SV shot 40 more FTs than Pikeville the first 3 games then cry a river when Pikeville shoots more.

You're the one that acted like the foul trouble didn't affect the game. Not me. If you've watched 100's of games, maybe take off the maroon glasses sometimes when you watch.

All I was doing was pointing out YOUR hypocrisy. One week you're complaining about the foul discrepancy against the Panthers, then the next week you're calling out someone who complains about a discrepancy that benefits Pikeville. You can't have it both ways.

And I never commented about the other SV-Pikeville games, maybe they were called in favor of Valley. At least I can be unbiased enough to admit it if it's the case.
Valley will get a lot of fouls with their man to man heavy pressure d. In order to beat Pikeville, Cam Worrix has to be on the floor at the end of games.
I will say that Pikeville played the diamond and one zone almost all night. Much easier to stay out of foul trouble, whereas Valley’s man-to-man is more prone to fouls. There were a couple fouls I think Pikeville got away with, however two of the fouls on Connor Roberts were horrendous calls. It all balances out I guess lol.

I get the outrage though, I was as mad as I ever have been at officiating in the All “A” Championship. Not that it caused Pikeville to lose, but I thought Pikeville got the short end of a several questionable calls.
After watching the first quarter, C. Worrix should have had 4 fouls instead of just two.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I will say that Pikeville played the diamond and one zone almost all night. Much easier to stay out of foul trouble, whereas Valley’s man-to-man is more prone to fouls. There were a couple fouls I think Pikeville got away with, however two of the fouls on Connor Roberts were horrendous calls. It all balances out I guess lol.

I get the outrage though, I was as mad as I ever have been at officiating in the All “A” Championship. Not that it caused Pikeville to lose, but I thought Pikeville got the short end of a several questionable calls.

Thanks for the reasonable response. While I disagree with you about how it was officiated, at least I can see your point of view. Myself, I thought Pikeville got away with a lot of contact when Valley was shooting close to the basket, while it seemed like the same amount of contact was being called fouls on the other end. But the bigger issue was more that Pikeville's fouls seemed to be spread amongst all the people who saw court time, while Valley's fouls were concentrated mainly on the starters. I still believe that the tight whistle on Valley affected the way the game was played.

That said, I can also understand your comments about the All-A game. When you have two teams as evenly matched as these, if the officiating favors one team even just slightly, it can certainly affect the outcome of the game. That is true no matter which side gets the benefit.
jetpilot Wrote:"reasonable"...because that's how you roll...

Confusednicker:

http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...ostcount=4
http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...ostcount=5
http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...stcount=10

Pretty sure all those posts were reasonable observations about how the foul trouble was affecting Valley in the game. I did notice that you didn't link to any of your own snarky comments, though. That said, it was nice of you to post links for anyone who doesn't know how to simply scroll upward in the thread.

If you'd like to see an example of how two reasonable people can discuss something, simply look a couple posts up above yours at myself and Panther Thunder's comments.
More Cowbell Wrote:Pretty sure all those posts were reasonable observations about how the foul trouble was affecting Valley in the game. I did notice that you didn't link to any of your own snarky comments, though. That said, it was nice of you to post links for anyone who doesn't know how to simply scroll upward in the thread.

If you'd like to see an example of how two reasonable people can discuss something, simply look a couple posts up above yours at myself and Panther Thunder's comments.

No, pretty sure the posts were from the update thread where you were "reasonably" whining that the refs were cheating SV out of the gym. You preaching to me about "reasonable" is :hilarious: Can't you just have a good long cry and move on?:please:
jetpilot Wrote:No, pretty sure the posts were from the update thread where you were "reasonably" whining that the refs were cheating SV out of the gym. You preaching to me about "reasonable" is :hilarious: Can't you just have a good long cry and move on?:please:

No whining or crying on my part. My life is great.

I never said the refs were cheating. That's your words, not mine. All I did was point out (correctly) that due to the way the game was officiated, Valley had multiple players in foul trouble. Even if someone else disagrees, I don't see how anyone could say that it's not a reasonable assessment to make.

Your hypocrisy is astounding though. You will holler and complain in other game threads about the whistles going against Pikeville, then get all offended when someone complains about the calls that benefited Pikeville in a different game.

I'm not surprised you reacted that way, though. Seems these days nobody can handle an opinion different than their own.
My position is hopefully things even out over time. SV shot 40 more FT than Pikeville the first three meetings, then Pikeville shot more in the fourth meeting. End of story.
You whined during the game, after the game, and are still whining. My last post on this and if you want to have the last word and tell yourself how reasonable you are, have at it.
jetpilot Wrote:My position is hopefully things even out over time. SV shot 40 more FT than Pikeville the first three meetings, then Pikeville shot more in the fourth meeting. End of story.
You whined during the game, after the game, and are still whining. My last post on this and if you want to have the last word and tell yourself how reasonable you are, have at it.

You complained about the refs in the Clay County-Pikeville game thread (go re-read your comments on that thread).

Next you complained about the refs in the Paintsville-Pikeville game thread (go re-read your comments on that thread too).

I complained about about the refs in this game, you got offended, and somehow I'm the one being unreasonable?

Seems legit... :eyeroll:
More Cowbell Wrote:You complained about the refs in the Clay County-Pikeville game thread (go re-read your comments on that thread).

Next you complained about the refs in the Paintsville-Pikeville game thread (go re-read your comments on that thread too).

I complained about about the refs in this game, you got offended, and somehow I'm the one being unreasonable?

Seems legit... :eyeroll:

Never mentioned refs vs Paintsville....pointed out that Paintsville shot a lot of free throws throughout the game while Pikeville didn't shoot any until the end when Paintsville purposely fouled. Did not mention refs or give an opinion on if fouls were legit because I wasn't at the game.

Clay County game I asked if Pikeville got hosed because 2 players got techincals and a fan got thrown out, which happens maybe once every 10 years. 64SUR told me his opinion and Wheatfarmer told me what he saw as well, and I thanked them. Never accused refs of cheating. Only you are doing that. Now I'm really done.
WoW
Pages: 1 2