Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Change in the 11th Region Tournament Format
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Due to a scheduling conflict at EKU, the 11th Region will play first round games on the home court of district winners. This will make the district championship game even more important.
I’ve ALWAYS felt it should be this way in every region. There should be more value than there is to winning your district.
Van Hagar Wrote:I’ve ALWAYS felt it should be this way in every region. There should be more value than there is to winning your district.

I'm of the mindset that districts should be done away with. The entire region should be seeded, top to bottom. When the current format was started many districts had 12 or 13 teams. The district tournaments in those days were like the regional tournaments are now. In the early 60s the 52nd in Harlan County had 12 teams. Now, some districts are down to only 3.
Not a fan, I get the issue, but it should be at a neutral court in the Region, there are plenty of them open.
I love this. Get rid of district tournaments all together. Award a district champion for the regular season and then seed the regional. Have the first round of regional on the district winners home courts and then go from there.
plantmanky Wrote:Not a fan, I get the issue, but it should be at a neutral court in the Region, there are plenty of them open.

:Thumbs: With you on this.
rojas Wrote:I'm of the mindset that districts should be done away with. The entire region should be seeded, top to bottom. When the current format was started many districts had 12 or 13 teams. The district tournaments in those days were like the regional tournaments are now. In the early 60s the 52nd in Harlan County had 12 teams. Now, some districts are down to only 3.

WOW!! 12 or 13 in a District, didn't know that. Well how many was in the region?
rojas Wrote:I'm of the mindset that districts should be done away with. The entire region should be seeded, top to bottom. When the current format was started many districts had 12 or 13 teams. The district tournaments in those days were like the regional tournaments are now. In the early 60s the 52nd in Harlan County had 12 teams. Now, some districts are down to only 3.

Oh, I agree with you totally on just a seeded regional tournament, I’m just saying if the KHSAA doesn’t go in that direction at least make winning the district more rewarding.
Big Daddy Bull Wrote:WOW!! 12 or 13 in a District, didn't know that. Well how many was in the region?

I don’t know how many were in 13th, but the 52nd district had the following schools:
Evarts
Rosenwald
Harlan
Hall
Loyall
Wallins
Black Star
Cumberland
Benham
Benham Colored School
Lynch
Lynch Colored

One year Benham had the #1 team in the state but couldn’t go to the state tournament due to an flu quarantine. Corbin, the 2nd best team in the 13th, won the state championship.
plantmanky Wrote:Not a fan, I get the issue, but it should be at a neutral court in the Region, there are plenty of them open.

I always thought Alltec Arena at Kentucky Horse Park would be a better site than EKU. It’s more centrally located, although it would be a longer drive for me.
rojas Wrote:I always thought Alltec Arena at Kentucky Horse Park would be a better site than EKU. It’s more centrally located, although it would be a longer drive for me.

Not been in there. How many would it seat for basketball?
van hagar Wrote:not been in there. How many would it seat for basketball?