Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Jason Chappell named Great Crossing Head Coach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Newly built high school in Scott County, Great Crossings has named former Whitley County head coach, Jason Chappell as their new/first time head coach.
Absolutely great hire. No better person to lead young men on and off the field. Congratulations
Good luck to a great coach and person
First class guy, good luck coach.
Congrats Coach!
Great coach even better person, good luck!!
Congratulations!
Congratulations Coach Chappell :Cheerlead Great friend and awesome guy :worthy:
Guess I do not have to eat crow, worse kept secret in town folks in Scott County/Georgetown have known this for awhile. Have a lot to say why would anyone want to go up against a state power or even take that job against a school that's not really splitting up(football wise) or might not have enough to even field a Varsity team? I will just keep my mouth shut and say good luck to Coach Chappell seems like he is well liked and a great guy, hope it works out. Have heard a former State Championship Coach that has taught at SC for a few years is going to help him out for 1 year.
Coach Chappell is not the kind of guy to back down from a challenge. Congrats to him , he will do you proud.
NextGeneration Wrote:Coach Chappell is not the kind of guy to back down from a challenge. Congrats to him , he will do you proud.

I get that and hope he does, but got to WIN WIN WIN in Georgetown there isn't any moral victories and can't be going no 2-9 or have a losing record even in the 1st year or honeymoon will be over real fast, this isn't Fredrick Douglas were you can pull from 6 schools(9 really) and have a all-boys academy on campus. I swear I can't remember Scott County ever having a losing record in the 2000's. Good Luck to Coach
You said that it would be nearly impossible to win with the hand anyone got with this school, and now you have to beat Scott County coming out of the gate? You guys are building a program remember that. You have a great coach and great person, work with him.
NextGeneration Wrote:You said that it would be nearly impossible to win with the hand anyone got with this school, and now you have to beat Scott County coming out of the gate? You guys are building a program remember that. You have a great coach and great person, work with him.

Amen. Let the process take place.
Big Daddy Bull Wrote:I get that and hope he does, but got to WIN WIN WIN in Georgetown there isn't any moral victories and can't be going no 2-9 or have a losing record even in the 1st year or honeymoon will be over real fast, this isn't Fredrick Douglas were you can pull from 6 schools(9 really) and have a all-boys academy on campus. I swear I can't remember Scott County ever having a losing record in the 2000's. Good Luck to Coach

Scott County hasn't always been a power. They were mediocre 20 years ago :dudecomeon::dudecomeon:Confusedtare:
I think the best perk of this job is that he can get any assistants he wants. By that I mean they have 100 plus teaching jobs to fill, he can bring in almost anyone.

That could be key.
pjdoug Wrote:Scott County hasn't always been a power. They were mediocre 20 years ago :dudecomeon::dudecomeon:Confusedtare:

That is true, I said in the 2000's do not think have had a losing record
I’d say the list of schools that have been a power in KY for more than 20 years is pretty small. Even smaller in the largest classification.

Does anyone have a schedule for Great Crossing yet?

District
Scott Co (first game of the year)
Fredrick Douglas
Montgomery Co
Grant Co

I’ve heard Harrison Co.

That’s five more open dates for them.

Things working against them and I could be wrong on some of these.

No spring practice.
No off-season lifting program.
Open enrollment.
In the same county as a program that will be one of the favorites to win 5A.
Possible low enrollment numbers.
plantmanky Wrote:I think the best perk of this job is that he can get any assistants he wants. By that I mean they have 100 plus teaching jobs to fill, he can bring in almost anyone.

That could be key.

Not a perk, they split up the teachers at Scott County High, some went to GC and some staying at Scott County depends on the numbers at each school so some teachers will really not no until final numbers come out in I think June. Superintendent let it be known that not hiring any new teachers, only a head football coach. That's going to be another issue, where is the help going to come from? All of Scott County football coaches are staying at Scott County. Like I mentioned before a well known coach who has ties to Whitley Co and has taught at Scott County is going to help him, maybe others from the Middle Schools not sure.
I assume you’re referring to Rains coming on board to be the DC. That’s been the rumor for the past few weeks. I would be surprised if any of the MS coaches move up but I could be wrong there.
Great Crossing schedule so far
Scott Co
Montgomery Co
Fredrick Douglas
Grant Co
North Bullit
Harrison
Woodford
Dunbar
Franklin Co
East Jess. is the other
So what is realistic expectations in year one? I know that’s hard to guess due to not knowing the numbers.
barrel Wrote:So what is realistic expectations in year one? I know that’s hard to guess due to not knowing the numbers.

Just to have enough kids to have a Varsity team in my opinion, no way would I let my child play a Varsity football schedule coming from the 8th grade, not even in Class A let alone 5A. I think should have started with just a Freshmen schedule, year 2 a JV and Freshmen schedule and year 3 all three. Could you imagine having your kid play against Scott County the 1st game without ever lifting a weight? Should be against the law- lol
There will be some kids that come over from Scott, and there will be Kids that come from other schools. They won’t have a problem getting enuf varsity kids to play! Good Luck to Chappell! This was a great hire in my opinion.
HighViz Wrote:There will be some kids that come over from Scott, and there will be Kids that come from other schools. They won’t have a problem getting enuf varsity kids to play! Good Luck to Chappell! This was a great hire in my opinion.

I think good hire also, but facts are facts only about 4-5 coming from the High School if that many and those kids aren't for sure, and kids from other schools what does that mean? This isn't college or a private school and if someone does move into the county (which is a requirement to play)where do you honestly think they would go IF a football player?
There are rumors that the Coffee (sp?) kid from Tates Creek will be moving back to Scott Co. If he does it will be interesting to see where he ends up. Would he go to Scott Co and be a RB, WR and DB or go to Great Crossing and maybe be a QB?

I’m going to guess a majority of players are staying at Scott Co. The schools were classified based on the enrollment being split in half which isn’t going to happen for awhile. There would be a slim chance Great Crossing could have 4A enrollment playing 5A ball.
barrel Wrote:There are rumors that the Coffee (sp?) kid from Tates Creek will be moving back to Scott Co. If he does it will be interesting to see where he ends up. Would he go to Scott Co and be a RB, WR and DB or go to Great Crossing and maybe be a QB?

I’m going to guess a majority of players are staying at Scott Co. The schools were classified based on the enrollment being split in half which isn’t going to happen for awhile. There would be a slim chance Great Crossing could have 4A enrollment playing 5A ball.

Staying at Creek or coming to Scott County that's coming from family or could be an athlete this year and QB next, not many athletes in Scott County as people think most of the county is still rural (you ever seen them warm-up against Lexington schools looks like a mis- match) so only in my opinion again things will equal out in about 4-5 years and you will have 2 mediocre teams AND next realignment I would say both will be 6A. Remember all these are my opinions only and I do not post anything on here that I don't have inside knowledge of.
plantmanky Wrote:I think the best perk of this job is that he can get any assistants he wants. By that I mean they have 100 plus teaching jobs to fill, he can bring in almost anyone.

That could be key.

That's a great point. he could definitely put a top quality staff together.
Big Daddy Bull Wrote:Not a perk, they split up the teachers at Scott County High, some went to GC and some staying at Scott County depends on the numbers at each school so some teachers will really not no until final numbers come out in I think June. Superintendent let it be known that not hiring any new teachers, only a head football coach. That's going to be another issue, where is the help going to come from? All of Scott County football coaches are staying at Scott County. Like I mentioned before a well known coach who has ties to Whitley Co and has taught at Scott County is going to help him, maybe others from the Middle Schools not sure.

is Rains going to be the only assistant?
Big Daddy Bull Wrote:I think good hire also, but facts are facts only about 4-5 coming from the High School if that many and those kids aren't for sure, and kids from other schools what does that mean? This isn't college or a private school and if someone does move into the county (which is a requirement to play)where do you honestly think they would go IF a football player?

Haven't you seen players transfer across state? from New York to rural Kentucky? lol
Pages: 1 2