Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Powell County 79 Wolfe County 55
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from Campton from Sunday.
Wolfe shot 28 FT's and made 18. Hailey Smith made 15 of those 18 FT's.

Powell County was 5/12 from the FT line.
I thought Smith played for Wolfe.
justthefacts Wrote:I thought Smith played for Wolfe.

She does. I thought I was looking at Powell's roster when I was typing the thread.

My mistake.
Powell just completely dominated this game from the tip.
Powell played really good. Wolfe played really bad.
Powell is just as good of a contender for the regional title as anyone. Excited to see how the rest of the season goes
Worst game all year played no defense best I’ve seen powel play all year they come ready to play
Powell is pretty darn good at times. They evidently did Wolfe like they did Owsley in Booneville, got on a run in the second half and beat Owsley by 18. Many of their points vs Owsley was from points scored off turnovers.
The Wolfe game was just 1 team wanting to play and another not wanting to be out there. Wolfe didn’t have any fight the whole game and just went through the motions. Not taking anything away from Powell they came and played well, I don’t think it’s a true representation of Wolfe though. I think if they play a normal game that they have done most of the year it would be a good game with Powell. Good thing is they play again in a week or so.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Powell is pretty darn good at times. They evidently did Wolfe like they did Owsley in Booneville, got on a run in the second half and beat Owsley by 18. Many of their points vs Owsley was from points scored off turnovers.

Turnovers played a key part in both games with Powell & Owsley, wouldn’t think that should be the case with Owsley playing 4 guards majority of the time.
Powell has a good team. On any given night they could beat any team in the region.
They have a good point guard in king, a good post player in Howell, and a good wing athlete in Branham.
Anytime you have those 3 things in girls basketball you have a shot to beat most teams.
Not at all a good representation of Powell or Wolfe. I'll take Wolfe by 6 in the game at Powell.
Hope you’re right Ole Man and I think you’re right just ever who comes to play
Number 12 is a good player from Wolfe, but she’s so right hand dominant that if you force her left she can’t do much...Wolfe not that good and won’t factor in the Region.
FarristownFlyer Wrote:Number 12 is a good player from Wolfe, but she’s so right hand dominant that if you force her left she can’t do much...Wolfe not that good and won’t factor in the Region.

Smith isn't good when you force her to the left? Powell forced her to the left on Sunday and she had 27. And Wolfe isn't a factor in the Region? They won the 14th Region All-A Classic a little over two weeks ago. And they won every game in the All-A Regional by 10 points. Currently, they are 12-2 in the Region with 10 point wins over Owsley (twice,) Breathitt, and Leslie County. C'mon man. Wolfe is 8th in the state for free throw percentage. Also, Hailey Smith is as good a free throw shooter as KHSAA Girls Basketball has ever seen. At least, that's what the stats say. With all respect, I disagree with everything you said.
Just shows ya how this Region will be a toss up! Anyone can beat anyone on a given day! That is a fact.

14 Region is NOT going to be easy!
It’s funny for anyone to say Wolfe won’t be a factor in the regional tournament. They have wins over 2 of the Top teams in the region by double digits. Wolfe is one of 6-7 teams that could win the region. Here they are in no certain order. I truly think any of these teams can beat each other on a given night.
Leslie
Wolfe
Hazard
Letcher
Knott
Owsley
Powell
Reds#1Fan Wrote:It’s funny for anyone to say Wolfe won’t be a factor in the regional tournament. They have wins over 2 of the Top teams in the region by double digits. Wolfe is one of 6-7 teams that could win the region. Here they are in no certain order. I truly think any of these teams can beat each other on a given night.
Leslie
Wolfe
Hazard
Letcher
Knott
Owsley
Powell

I got these teams ranked into sections

For 1-5 you could really have any order, but this is the correct one.

1. Knott - Higgins + good coaching + a very good supporting cast
2. Letcher - Maggard is a beast. She's the only player in the Region that you can't scheme for. Simply to talk and athletic. + A very good supporting cast.
3. Wolfe - Smith is a beast with a very good and deep supporting cast that can take and make 3s. The best free throw shooting team in the Region hands down, top 5 in the state. That's really going to help them down the stretch. Just about every team in the Region is 15-25% below them.
4. Hazard - If Mullins' becomes eligible they become the most talented team in the Region. Caudill obviously a great guard
5. Leslie - Meyers and Simpson are a deadly duo

Big drop off with 6-7. These teams can beat anyone, but won't be able to win 3 games in the tournament

6. Owsley - Better than I think they should be. Haven't totally figured them out yet.
7. Powell - Should be the best or second best team in the Region. Have a ton of talent but are very inconsistent, undisciplined, and all things considered severly underperform with their talent.

These could be in any order... Jackson City has great upside, but I think Breathitt does to and Jackson City hasn't really shown it yet. Estill, sadly, not so much with the whole potential thing. Jackson City has more talent than Estill but Estill might have the better team.

8. Breathitt - Amy Brewer and Schutz are a very talented duo. They have a slightly above average supporting cast as well.
9. Estill - Mia Hale and Bellamy + a fair supporting cast
10. Jackson City - Tincher has the potential to be super good. Best case scenario could be the top point guard in the Region one day. Worse case, top 5.

Buttom Feeders -

11. Perry - They haven't played many games in the Region so they're kinda hard to judge. They could be as high as 8. I'm not sure, haven't seen them play this year.

12. Lee County - Not sure how but somehow they gave Powell everything they wanted in both games. They shouldn't have but did. They shouldn't be that good but are over performing and are better than I give them credit for/they should be.

A bit of a drop off here

13. Buckhorn - Buckhorn is way better than 14-16. Lopez is a pretty good player, could help a lot of teams.

A pretty big drop off here

14. Riverside - Badarak for Riverside is actually a really really good player and could play right away for Wolfe, Breathitt, or Jackson City. A great ball handler. Wish she played for a "real or competitive team) sorry JC love ya and all, but...

A small drop off here

15. June Buchanon - Way better than Cordia head to head but have basically the same ceiling

A big drop off here.

16. Cordia - ...
The Ole Man Wrote:I got these teams ranked into sections

For 1-5 you could really have any order, but this is the correct one.

1. Knott - Higgins + good coaching + a very good supporting cast
2. Letcher - Maggard is a beast. She's the only player in the Region that you can't scheme for. Simply to talk and athletic. + A very good supporting cast.
3. Wolfe - Smith is a beast with a very good and deep supporting cast that can take and make 3s. The best free throw shooting team in the Region hands down, top 5 in the state. That's really going to help them down the stretch. Just about every team in the Region is 15-25% below them.
4. Hazard - If Mullins' becomes eligible they become the most talented team in the Region. Caudill obviously a great guard
5. Leslie - Meyers and Simpson are a deadly duo

Big drop off with 6-7. These teams can beat anyone, but won't be able to win 3 games in the tournament

6. Owsley - Better than I think they should be. Haven't totally figured them out yet.
7. Powell - Should be the best or second best team in the Region. Have a ton of talent but are very inconsistent, undisciplined, and all things considered severly underperform with their talent.

These could be in any order... Jackson City has great upside, but I think Breathitt does to and Jackson City hasn't really shown it yet. Estill, sadly, not so much with the whole potential thing. Jackson City has more talent than Estill but Estill might have the better team.

8. Breathitt - Amy Brewer and Schutz are a very talented duo. They have a slightly above average supporting cast as well.
9. Estill - Mia Hale and Bellamy + a fair supporting cast
10. Jackson City - Tincher has the potential to be super good. Best case scenario could be the top point guard in the Region one day. Worse case, top 5.

Buttom Feeders -

11. Perry - They haven't played many games in the Region so they're kinda hard to judge. They could be as high as 8. I'm not sure, haven't seen them play this year.

12. Lee County - Not sure how but somehow they gave Powell everything they wanted in both games. They shouldn't have but did. They shouldn't be that good but are over performing and are better than I give them credit for/they should be.

A bit of a drop off here

13. Buckhorn - Buckhorn is way better than 14-16. Lopez is a pretty good player, could help a lot of teams.

A pretty big drop off here

14. Riverside - Badarak for Riverside is actually a really really good player and could play right away for Wolfe, Breathitt, or Jackson City. A great ball handler. Wish she played for a "real or competitive team) sorry JC love ya and all, but...

A small drop off here

15. June Buchanon - Way better than Cordia head to head but have basically the same ceiling

A big drop off here.

16. Cordia - ...

As for Perry over Lee

Perry could be as high as 8 but I doubt it. I'm not sure, haven't seen them play this year and they have only played 3 Region games this year and only 6 last year. Perry's above Lee admittedly with name brand having a little to do with it. But, Perry beat Buckhorn by 25 and Buckhorn beat Lee by 8, so... You could see why from a basketball perspective... Although, Lee might out play Perry at times. Monday's Powell @ Perry game will show us a lot, with potentially a big ripple effect in the lower part of my rankings.
I would put powel and then breathitt over owsley
Wolves fan Wrote:I would put powel and then breathitt over owsley

You can put Powell over Wolfe too. They already beat them by 24.....in Campton!
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:You can put Powell over Wolfe too. They already beat them by 24.....in Campton!

Powell beat Wolfe twice head to head. But Wolfe is the better team. Just don't have a good matchup or Powell played really well and Wolfe had off nights or something... I still think Wolfe is the better team though. I've seen them both play Estill. That's just what the eye test told me.
Wolves fan Wrote:I would put powel and then breathitt over owsley

I feel like Breathitt is a more talented team than Owsley to be honest. But, Owsley has a superior resume.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:You can put Powell over Wolfe too. They already beat them by 24.....in Campton!

It’s hard to base rankings on head to head sometimes. Basketball is all about match ups. And for some reason Wolfe doesn’t match up with Powell as well. And Powell has beaten them twice.

Knott County doesn’t match up with Owsley well. Owsley has beaten them twice.

Do you think that Owsley should be rated ahead of knott county because they have beaten them twice?
14th region fanman Wrote:It’s hard to base rankings on head to head sometimes. Basketball is all about match ups. And for some reason Wolfe doesn’t match up with Powell as well. And Powell has beaten them twice.

Do you think that Owsley should be rated ahead of knott county because they have beaten them twice?

Exactly. There are crazy stats like that all the time. We have to understand how to interpret these stats. Like Powell beat Lee by 2 and 1. Wolfe beat Lee by 15. And Powell beat Wolfe by 9 and 24. We've got to remember that there's a human element here, teams play different in gyms, matchups, a bad night, officiating... These aren't computer stats that aren't negotiable and never change, these are basketball teams. The outcomes can easily change, they're not locked in truth that isn't negotiable... It can change from game to game, team to team, gym to gym, night to night. If that makes sense. It's about the eye test and overall resume.
As far as rankings go.

Knott is the clear #1 I think. They have played a good schedule and have the best overall wins.
Hazard is #2 playing really well the last couple of weeks.
Leslie is #3
Letcher is #4

Think there could be a tie for 5th between Powell,Wolfe,Owsley depends on what night they are playing. They could beat anyone in the top 7 or 8 and lose to anyone in the top 7 or 8.
Perry County doesn’t have a good record but they have a good team as well. Randy is playing a schedule with kids he thought he was gonna have and now doesn’t due to transfers etc. And his record reflects that. He hasn’t played any 14th region teams. Mainly good teams from other regions.

I think the most improved team is Breathitt County. They are really improving as the year has went along. And are vastly improved from last year. Getting the best player in the 56th district back from estill to Breathitt didn’t hurt here either.

Buckhorn and Lee County have shown great improvement as well from the start of the season.
Jackson City has been up and down. I really thought they would be better than they have been this year with them having several seniors returning from last years team.
14th region fanman Wrote:It’s hard to base rankings on head to head sometimes. Basketball is all about match ups. And for some reason Wolfe doesn’t match up with Powell as well. And Powell has beaten them twice.

No.
I think Knott is #1. Leslie is a close 2nd. Hazard, Letcher and Powell are in the next level.