Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Do you consider yourself a maker?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There is no single accepted definition of a "maker." My definition is somebody who personally or as part of a team designs and produces something unique. The creation may be a medieval battle ax, an original quilt, or a remote controlled race car, but just assembling somebody else's kit does not make you a maker, IMO.

The Maker movement was popularized by the launch of Make Magazine in 2005. Maker spaces have popped up all over the U.S. and provide shared access to equipment such as 3D printers, CNC machines, industrial sewing machines, laser engraver/cutters, blacksmith tools, vinyl cutters, machine shops, welders, etc.

Today, I started working on a custom plastic filament holder for my printer, using skateboard ball bearings from Amazon. My next project will be a white lamp shade that displays black and white photos when it is switched on. (This type of display is known as a "lithophane." Images are formed by varying the thickness of a sheet of plastic and then backlighting it.)

I will post more later, but my primary "maker tools" currently consist of a laser engraver/cutter and a recently purchased 3D printer. I have also joined a large local ham radio club and hope to participate in some electronics projects.
[Image: legend-carousel1.jpg][Image: 201801051030420775.jpg]
Over my young years, I watched my grandmother make original designs for quilts more times that I can count. The originated from scraps of material that she couldn't use in other quilts! lol

One of her favorite sayings was "waste not want not". I still hear that in my mind, especially when throwing stuff away.
I made a great kid with a wonderful wife! Confusednicker:

3D technology is fantastic and I look forward to seeing where this technology goes!!!
Granny Bear Wrote:Over my young years, I watched my grandmother make original designs for quilts more times that I can count. The originated from scraps of material that she couldn't use in other quilts! lol

One of her favorite sayings was "waste not want not". I still hear that in my mind, especially when throwing stuff away.

I love quilts.