Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Open Job: Estill County
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Seen that it was posted on KHSAA this morning. Wow. Big time job with big shoes to fill.
Any chance any region coaches make the jump to Estill?
Word on the street is they are after Beautiful Bobby Ratliff from Perry Central.
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:Word on the street is they are after Beautiful Bobby Ratliff from Perry Central.

Where did you hear that at?

I do wish that the new coach would start hosting a tournament every season.

I can't see David Faulkner leaving Powell County.

I would say a lot of coaches at smaller schools like Jenkins and Jackson City would put in for it to move on up the ladder.

Unless they already have a backup plan, I would say that the new softball coach could possible pull double duty as AD as well. Current AD is suppose to retire next month.
I would think they would be looking on the Western side of state if they wanted to improve the program..???
No one from the Mountains has a shot at this job.
Why is that Reds fan? How many state titles does Estill have?
Estill has been dominate against the 14th region only 5 losses since coming over back in 2006. It would be hard for anyone in the mountains to come in and continue that tradition.
Estill is in the business of winning regional championships. No active coach in the 14th has won a regional championship. The old saying of To be the best you got to beat the best is 100% true. No coach in the 14th has found a way to do that come tournament time. Benny Campbell at Wolfe has had a long run of success and has made great improvements to that program but hasn't been able to get over the hump when it counts against Estill. Estill will be looking for a proven coach that can help them get to the next step of winning games at the state tournament.
The only coaches I can see trying to get the job would be Benny Campbell at Wolfe but I doubt he leaves the den.

Bobby Ratliff - Took Perry Central to the regional championship game against Estill this past season. Was suppose to schedule Estill again but that didn't happen so they aren't too happy with that.

April Charles - Jenkins old coach has had some success at beating Estill when she was at Jenkins but she's at the collegiate level now.

Other than those I can't see anyone getting the job from the 14th.
Strikeout King Wrote:The only coaches I can see trying to get the job would be Benny Campbell at Wolfe but I doubt he leaves the den.

Bobby Ratliff - Took Perry Central to the regional championship game against Estill this past season. Was suppose to schedule Estill again but that didn't happen so they aren't too happy with that.

April Charles - Jenkins old coach has had some success at beating Estill when she was at Jenkins but she's at the collegiate level now.

Other than those I can't see anyone getting the job from the 14th.

I see this being an in-house hire. Not enough jobs to go around with the football coach being hired from out of the county.
jumpshooter Wrote:I see this being an in-house hire. Not enough jobs to go around with the football coach being hired from out of the county.

Very well could be but the one thing that might be an issue is they change assistant coaches a lot. They use to have Coach Wood as an assistant but he left when Lindsey graduated and I would say him and Mrs. Wood is fixing to retire. They had Brittany Thomas as an assistant. Now it's Cassidy Flynn and Chad Hunter being assistants.

You never know what to expect at Estill. Especially with the inmates running the asylum...
If this job is handled the way the football opening was then there is not telling who will get it. Might as well give it to someone from California.
The athletes play the game and they love playing softball.
Someone from California would be awesome since they are way ahead of the game compared to Kentucky..
Estill is way ahead of the game because they are so close to Lexington.
Anyone know why the coach stepped down? Well, I imagine the coach stepped down, somehow I can't see her getting fired, lol.
Gonna throw couple names out there.

Bart Rison and Nathan Ryver (Fleming County's old coach). Not sure if they would have any interest or not. Unless I'm mistaken, Ryver is a teacher at Fleming County and I don't know if Estill has any teaching openings.
Rison is a good coach but don’t think he would be a good hire if you’re looking for a coach to coach for several years. He probably won’t want to comment to anything like that. He knows softball though that’s for sure.
Estill is ahead of eastern Ky just because of the tradition that JL Thomas started 30 plus years ago in this county. It has continued with second generation daughters and dedicated parents and coaches to a popular sport in the county. However, they are still very behind in comparison to other parts of the state.
Whats Estills track record in girls basketball? Little behind huh? Fastpitch softball isnt very popular in the 14th region. I dont think theres even much mens slowpitch softball played any more.
Teaching position is available.
Potential Candidates:

Bart Rison - Originally from Estill County. Has coached at Estill as well. Moved to Montgomery County and took over the Indians basketball program as well as the softball program. Retired. Not sure if he would wanna come back and coach again.

Nathan Ryver (Former Fleming County Coach). Currently teaches at Fleming County. Has a history playing against Estill. Knowing Estill's track record and a teaching position available could entice him to make his way from Flemingsburg to Irvine. Only hold up is, Fleming County is his home and his heart and soul.

David Faulkner (Current Powell County Coach): Of course Powell and Estill are in the same district. Estill has had Powell's number since joining the 56th district and 14th region back in 2006. Powell only has 1-2 wins in that span against Estill and none of them have came when it mattered, the district championship and region championship. It's a long shot that this happen, a very long shot. It would just make this rivalry that much more intense and personal.

Brittany Thomas (Former Estill player and Former Estill Assistant Coach): Played at Estill several years ago. Was Shirley's assistant about 4 years or so ago. I think she was an assistant 1 maybe 2 years.

Cassidy Flynn (Former Estill player and Current Estill Assistant): Much like the situation with Brittany Thomas. She's in her 2nd year as an Estill assistant.

Chad Hunter (Current Estill Assistant): Don't know anything about him other than he's a current Estill assistant.

Benny Campbell (Current Wolfe County Coach and Basketball Ref): Benny has brought Wolfe County a long way. I'm not sure if he would make the jump to Irvine or not but is it possible that a teaching spot and/or AD job (that's rumored to potentially be open, as current AD is expected to retire?) be enough to entice him to make the jump? I think it's still highly unlikely that he does.

Kyle Mink (Former North Laurel Coach): Coached at North Laurel for a season or two a few years back. Not sure what he's doing now and not sure if he would even have any interest in the job.

Daniel Rogers (Former Mad Cent coach and current GRC coach): Has a history of playing against Estill. In his second year at GRC Softball. Not sure if he would have any interest in the Estill position since they just built a brand new high school on Boonesborough Road. The 10th region is a little tougher than the 14th region however.

Paul Samples (Lee County Coach): Currently coaching Lee County Softball. Not sure about his coaching history but seems to have Lee County on the up and up.

Danny Marshall (Former Owsley County Coach): According to his record at Owsley, it doesn't look to be a good fit but Estill is a much bigger school than Owsley.

Bobby Ratliff (Current Perry Central Coach): In his second year as the head man at PCC. Took Perry Central to the region championship game last season against Estill County. Only hold up is, they weren't too thrilled with Estill not going to Perry Central this season as part of the agreement that was made?

Brian Foley (Former Mad South and Fred. Doug Coach) Coached at Madison Southern for a long year and had battles with Estill County. Was head coach at Frederick Douglass for a year (I think?). Not sure what he's doing these days.

Someone in-house: I'm not sure who they could get from inside to take the position.
What is the coaching salary? Is the teachers pay good at Estill?
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:What is the coaching salary? Is the teachers pay good at Estill?

Neither are great. Be hard to get a proven coach in there.
I believe Mark Reece former Scott County coach who lives in Estill County will take the job on interim base, Mark knows the game he lives in Estill County was head coach at 2 Fayette County Schools. Mark will do it for a couple years during the transition...This is my guess ...no facts....just rumors...
Why will it take two years to find a head coach?
any news?
Reds#1Fan Wrote:No one from the Mountains has a shot at this job.

Nobody from the mountains probably wants the job.....unless they have a helicopter to get there every day.
The girl who was assistant at Madison Central, probably the only one out of the candidates who could coach high school....
Pages: 1 2