Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: "That's So Kentucky Football...." DEAD & BURIED!!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you are a UK football fan, then you know all to well about the heartbreaking losses and miserable seasons UK football has had..... not too mention the amazingly creative way UK football found ways to lose.

In last year's bowl game, when Snell got ejected for the 'contact with an official' penalty.... on the surface, that seemed like such a microcosm for the entire UK football program. Our best player, getting ejected on a bogus call, in a bowl game and playing in a city that could be called Lexington South (Nashville). UK ended up losing on a failed 2 pt. conv., but that game and the situation with Snell gave our team and our fan base a battle cry of "Get Up!!!"

All spring and summer, we heard talk about how good this team was gonna be, but the schedule looked way tougher than previous seasons.... and let's all say it together.... "That's So Kentucky Football." Having some of the best players & depth this program has seen in 40+ years, but may not even make a bowl game.

Nail by nail & Shovel load by Shovel load...... the entire UK football program killed and buried that familiar phrase "That's So Kentucky Football."
- Ending the 31 year losing streak to Florida, in the Swamp.
- Our first winning record in SEC play in 40+ years.
- Played for our first SEC East divisional championship.
- Our first 10 win season in 40+ years.
- Winning a New Years Day bowl game.
- Having the National Defensive player of the Year.
- Having a Running Back break the UK all-time rushing record & TD record.
- Beating our in-state rival in an absolute massacre, that was the best conclusion for the end of the Petrtino, Jurich, Pitino & Ramsey administration.
- Being ranked for eight straight weeks in the regular season.
- Being ranked for the first time in CFB Playoff, as high as #9.
- Ending the season ranked in the top 15 in the CFB playoffs.

So in the words of the famous poet, The Undertaker, when it comes to the saying "That's So Kentucky Football"............

"Rest In Peace!!!!!"

[Image: 119206-imgcache.jpg]
While I am a UK Foorball fan, 1 season is not nearly enough to bury a programs past tradition that is a 100 years old. As of this point they are a one hit wonder on the right tract but thats about it. We are still UK Football that is not taken seriously in places like TN, FL and so on. Do it for a few years and maybe we can get out the shovels. This year is a good start
Don't get too excited, it's only 1 year.
Citrus Bowl "champions" and other things listed are great accomplishments but I'm interested in what happens next season.
Forget the negativity. They just had the best season ever. Go Cats!
I am not a Kentucky fan, however you just beat Penn State on New Years Day. This could be the very win that turns your whole program around and move it into the same class as the Georgia's and Lsu's of the SEC. I would definitely be extremely proud of what Kentucky has accomplished this season. Considering the state of the program the last 10 years it may very well be one of the top 5 wins in program history. Congratulations.
I agree. Let's celebrate the accomplishments of this team then get back to work on next year.

I'm still in shock over Penn's coach calling for that field goal!!
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:While I am a UK Foorball fan, 1 season is not nearly enough to bury a programs past tradition that is a 100 years old. As of this point they are a one hit wonder on the right tract but thats about it. We are still UK Football that is not taken seriously in places like TN, FL and so on. Do it for a few years and maybe we can get out the shovels. This year is a good start

Jarons Wrote:Don't get too excited, it's only 1 year.

Let me explain my first post a little bit better.

Reverse the outcomes on that list and you'll see what I'm talking about.
No team wants that long of a list like 'It's been XX years since...."

I'm as big of a UK fan as they come. I realize we are a mid-tier SEC team right now. IMO, UK football would & could never be taken serious until some of the items on that list ended.... but to end them all in the same season is exactly what our program needed. Kill & Bury those relics of our past and move on!
Granny Bear Wrote:I agree. Let's celebrate the accomplishments of this team then get back to work on next year.

It was the right call under the circumstances. 4th and 7 is asking a lot. His D had stopped UK the previous few drives, why would he think things would change? The real travesty was the play call on 3rd down. He should have run the ball if he was thinking about going for it on 4th.
Stoops is building SEC depth and a program, enjoy the ride...
[quote=FoSho]It was the right call under the circumstances. 4th and 7 is asking a lot. His D had stopped UK the previous few drives, why would he think things would change? The real travesty was the play call on 3rd down. He should have run the ball if he was thinking about going for it on 4th.[/QUOTE

The fact that his d was shutting us down is the very reason they should have gone for it in my opinion. If you make it, you’re almost certainly gonna get a td and take the lead. If you don’t, then U.K. is stuck somewhere around their own 10 and you still have all your timeouts. All the field goal did was bring that into play if they held us, but another fg still only would have tied it, game still up for grabs. Plus after a kickoff we were almost guaranteed better field position than if they had gone and not made it. I just don’t see much upside in kicking the fg in that spot.
Van Hagar Wrote:[quote=FoSho]It was the right call under the circumstances. 4th and 7 is asking a lot. His D had stopped UK the previous few drives, why would he think things would change? The real travesty was the play call on 3rd down. He should have run the ball if he was thinking about going for it on 4th.[/QUOTE

The fact that his d was shutting us down is the very reason they should have gone for it in my opinion. If you make it, you’re almost certainly gonna get a td and take the lead. If you don’t, then U.K. is stuck somewhere around their own 10 and you still have all your timeouts. All the field goal did was bring that into play if they held us, but another fg still only would have tied it, game still up for grabs. Plus after a kickoff we were almost guaranteed better field position than if they had gone and not made it. I just don’t see much upside in kicking the fg in that spot.

He makes a lot more money than either of us to make these decisions. He knows his team and that's what he did. It's what I would have done and I'm pretty sure Stoops would have done the same thing.

They struggled ALL DAY with 3rd and long and now you're going to go for it on 4th and long? No way.
I would have made the call he made too and go from there. Which he gambled and did It wasnt like it was 4th and 1 or 2. His chances of making it were on UK's side

Im just glad it all worked out for us Lets Party it up!
Ok maybe so guys, but even if it was low percentage, what did you gain? The only thing you gained was a field goal now would tie. But you still needed a td for the win. I just feel like if this game was completely reversed—if it played out just exactly like it did, but with us being Penn St. and them us—that people would be on here absolutely crushing Stoops today.
Van Hagar Wrote:Ok maybe so guys, but even if it was low percentage, what did you gain? The only thing you gained was a field goal now would tie. But you still needed a td for the win. I just feel like if this game was completely reversed—if it played out just exactly like it did, but with us being Penn St. and them us—that people would be on here absolutely crushing Stoops today.

Maybe. But they'd be wrong too. 😊
AnswertheBell Wrote:I am not a Kentucky fan, however you just beat Penn State on New Years Day. This could be the very win that turns your whole program around and move it into the same class as the Georgia's and Lsu's of the SEC. I would definitely be extremely proud of what Kentucky has accomplished this season. Considering the state of the program the last 10 years it may very well be one of the top 5 wins in program history. Congratulations.
well said.
FoSho Wrote:It was the right call under the circumstances. 4th and 7 is asking a lot. His D had stopped UK the previous few drives, why would he think things would change? The real travesty was the play call on 3rd down. He should have run the ball if he was thinking about going for it on 4th.

Maybe they'll fire him and hire you.
OldJacket Wrote:Stoops is building SEC depth and a program, enjoy the ride...

I agree. A person might question the offensive output,but they the program took a huge step forward this year as they had a few SEC type athletes and were finally able to compete in the trenches.
pjdoug Wrote:Maybe they'll fire him and hire you.

I couldn't afford the pay cut. 😜
FoSho Wrote:I couldn't afford the pay cut. 😜
I'm certain that you couldn't :biggrin:
We definitely broke the proverbial mold that we're used to seeing, but I want to see Coach Stoops and staff do this for a sustained period of time.
FoSho Wrote:It was the right call under the circumstances. 4th and 7 is asking a lot. His D had stopped UK the previous few drives, why would he think things would change? The real travesty was the play call on 3rd down. He should have run the ball if he was thinking about going for it on 4th.

Here I thought I was the only one thinking it was the right call.
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:We definitely broke the proverbial mold that we're used to seeing, but I want to see Coach Stoops and staff do this for a sustained period of time.

Lets Hope
I’m riding this high still but I don’t know if we can say this already. Be interesting to see what the offense will be like without Benny and the defense will look like without Josh Allen terrifying passing attacks.
plantmanky Wrote:Here I thought I was the only one thinking it was the right call.

You know football but since I know you also hate Boyle Co Football, I don't fully trust you.

😜
Granny Bear Wrote:I agree. Let's celebrate the accomplishments of this team then get back to work on next year.

It was the right call imo, their defense had our offense struggling and if they would have stopped us it probably would have went to overtime. But they didn't. :Cheerlead