Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Shelby Valley
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
for the 2008 basketball and football season and possibly continued, there will be NO dorton and virgie. its Valley now, so it will be a little bit harder for teams. As of right now from what i hear each day dorton and virgie will practice @ valley together and be known as Shelby Valley Middle School. not a school, just a team. the purpose of this. I dont know
Is that even allowed???
The basketball team is not combining. Just football.
At the junior high coaches meeting, this was brought up, and it is my understanding that the idea was nixed completely because it would not be fair to smaller schools not in proximity to one another!
PHS95 Wrote:At the junior high coaches meeting, this was brought up, and it is my understanding that the idea was nixed completely because it would not be fair to smaller schools not in proximity to one another!

You do realize Dorton had like 12 kids on the football team this year. How is this unfair? Schools do this all the time.
I am saying that the rationale behind them deciding not to let it happen was because you could hurt other schools.... don't know why, but that's what I have been told.... county AD was COMPLETELY against this idea
yea this is one of the same reasons EC,FC, and MMS are combinding.
Woah, if they combine....a middle school county tournment idea will be shot for that year...
warriorpride Wrote:yea this is one of the same reasons EC,FC, and MMS are combinding.

Same thing was brought up, they were told NO.... check into things before you post
ill tell you who was good was inez they were the best team i had ever played
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:You do realize Dorton had like 12 kids on the football team this year. How is this unfair? Schools do this all the time.

Virgie Junior High did the same thing years ago, all of the kids from Robinson Creek 7th and 8th grade were allowed to come to Virgie and play on the football team since they did not have one.
Martin Co. did it with Warfield and Inez.
OffTheHook Wrote:Martin Co. did it with Warfield and Inez.

And they have had great success with it. It makes the teams more competitive.
A-TRAIN Wrote:Virgie Junior High did the same thing years ago, all of the kids from Robinson Creek 7th and 8th grade were allowed to come to Virgie and play on the football team since they did not have one.

well this I understand but I say take the kids to Virgie is thats what they want to do over that way. I do not like the idea of combining two football programs from two diffrent schools IF they both have programs.
years ago when the Belfry area had 6 feeder schools,kids from South Williamson were allowed to combine with Turkey Creek in football only ,had there own Basketball team though, the only complaint was that some children were closer to Varney and wanted to play there and were told thet had to play at T C or not play at all.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:well this I understand but I say take the kids to Virgie is thats what they want to do over that way. I do not like the idea of combining two football programs from two diffrent schools IF they both have programs.

The numbers are not there for Virgie and Dorton to compete alone in football, yeah they my have enough to field a team but not be competitive with the likes of Pikeville.

As for basketball, I don't see them combining any time soon, as both have solid numbers on their basketball teams and both are very competitive.