Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: David Jones resigns at Phelps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Iam4thecats Wrote:Think about most of the multi-championship winning coaches in this state the last decade. Wallace, Beatty, Smith x2, Lefors, Scroggins, Preston, etc. They aren't coaching at their alma mater. Joe Morris I think is and I don't know where Haywood went to school but the list of the people not at home is much longer.

Haywood was from Prestonburg and he got the job a lot of people were saying one of the assistants would get it then but they didn’t. They may go that path this time but in the history of Belfry high school football they have not.After Coach vipperman I think Paul Dotson came back from Mullins a couple years then Coach Roddie(if that is how you spell his name) then Haywood. I may be wrong but they have never promoted from with in the staff that I can remember.
Bourbon County does seem like an odd fit. Maybe people are just tossing it around and it has no merit.
I would think it would be a much better place to live/work. Closer to Lexington (he is a UK guy)-access to more than there is in Phelps. I have to believe you would have better athletes and a better shot at competing in non-district games than you would have at Phelps. But I agree, at this time there are probably other jobs that would allow you better opportunities to win district ballgames.
EastKyPride Wrote:I knew what you was saying. I was just giving my opinion on the three. Just don't see Rooster being the man for the job. I do feel like Gary Runyon could become a good HC after get a few more years of experience under Haywood, Cassell, Varney and Tackett.

Not a snowballs chance in hell.
Football_Maniac Wrote:If Todd Cassell isn't the man- I don't know who they could possibly get that would be better. The guy is as solid of a coach as there is out there. Obviously it's hard to follow a legend, but he has the ability to continue Haywood's legacy and tradition. He and Coach Haywood are both first class people and the epitome of what High School Coaches are supposed to be.

Cassell is a great guy and amazing assistant coach. But I would without a doubt put him at 4th best in the system.

Of the coaches currently there.
Tackett, Varney, Chapman, and Cassell in that order would be your best.

The coaches most likely to get it though.
Cassell, Varney, Tackett, And Chapman in that order.

As for David at belfry. Highly unlikely but stranger things have happened.
jetpilot Wrote:There are 221 teams in KY per calpreps.

Phelps's 5 wins were as follows:
#207 Jackson Co.
#208 Sheldon Clark
#214 Fairview
#218 East Ridge
#221 Jenkins

I like Phelps as much or more than anyone on here. I am rooting for Jones but I need to see more in order to form a solid opinion.

I'm always going to defend the "bad" schools for getting a win any way they can.

But, you're making it too easy for me.

Before he took the Phelps job:

Jenkins, LOST by 22
East Ridge, LOST by 36

They gave up more points in the playoffs than they had scored over the course of the entire season. As in, if you took their season total of points scored, they still lose that game.

If what he's done at Phelps doesn't at least leave you mildly impressed, then you need to realize that Phelps and the "big boys" are playing under two drastically different metrics for success.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:I'm always going to defend the "bad" schools for getting a win any way they can.

But, you're making it too easy for me.

Before he took the Phelps job:

Jenkins, LOST by 22
East Ridge, LOST by 36

They gave up more points in the playoffs than they had scored over the course of the entire season. As in, if you took their season total of points scored, they still lose that game.

If what he's done at Phelps doesn't at least leave you mildly impressed, then you need to realize that Phelps and the "big boys" are playing under two drastically different metrics for success.

Low bar - check
High bar - we will see
I am pulling for him.
It's not complicated at all.
Patriot1 Wrote:Haywood was from Prestonburg and he got the job a lot of people were saying one of the assistants would get it then but they didn’t. They may go that path this time but in the history of Belfry high school football they have not.After Coach vipperman I think Paul Dotson came back from Mullins a couple years then Coach Roddie(if that is how you spell his name) then Haywood. I may be wrong but they have never promoted from with in the staff that I can remember.

Just a little history on Belfry Head Coaches.

1925 - NA Elbert Tye - Corbin
1931 - 1932 Donald Bishop - Unknown
1933 - 1934 Eugen King - Presumed Alum def local
1937 - 1939 Clyde Alley - presumed Alum
1940 Hallard Wheeler - Unknown
1941 CA Crowley - Unknown
1943 - ? Doc Runyon - Local but not Alum I believe
1946 James Howell - unknown
1947 Wilford McInturf - Unknown
1948 - 1949 Bill Benedett - Unknown
1950 - 1952 John B. Moricle - Williamson I believe
1953 - 1953 Guy Patterson - Believed to be Alum
1957 - 1958 Irvin Wilson - Alum
1959 - 1971 Al Vipperman - Alum
1972 - 1974 Paul Dotson - Alum
1975 - 1983 Dick Roddy - Williamson High School, so local.
1984 - Pres Philip Haywood - Prestonsburg (When hired Matney was rumored the top candidate)

From Wilson thru Dotson all where promoted from within. In 1957 when Wilson took the job Vipperman was already on staff as an assistant to Patterson and stayed on as an assistant to Wilson, he would take over as HC in 1959. Dotson was on staff with Vipperman and maybe longer when he took over after Vipperman died.

Roddy is interesting in that while he wasn't on the staff when he was hired as HC he had served 4 years under coach Vipperman in the early 60s.

Haywood's hire was the first to break the cycle of local or alum in a very long stretch of time. When he was hired Belfry had three paid assistants on staff, Steve Mickey, Paul May, and Jim Matney. I don't know the ins and outs but from what I have been told, Matney was the local favorite to get the job but Haywood was hired because the Pirates were looking for the stability they had with Vipperman and young with experience after they had lost both Roddy and Vipperman to health concerns.

All that said Haywood has been there so long and built such a tradition and much of his staff (that would be candidates) have been with him since the 03 season as either a player or assistant so promoting from the staff isn't that far fetched.
Was Belfry "Belfry" before Haywood? Were they dominant, decent, or average?
Can anyone recruit on the level as David? I mean most of his playmakers were not from Phelps.
Explorer Wrote:Was Belfry "Belfry" before Haywood? Were they dominant, decent, or average?

I would say decent, top Mountain school. From 1950 on they were competing for Conference titles and later District and regional titles. They have always had a good tradition and in 79 lost in the State Title game before that they made the playoffs a lot when that was actually an accomplishment, Haywood came in made a big impact in the mid to late 80s, things started to thaw in the early 90s and there was a time in the mid to late 90s when there were some grumblings that his time was over, his style antiquated and time to move on, lucky for us not enough people where complaining. It wasn't until 2003 when Belfry became Belfry and became a yearly contender.
EastKyPride Wrote:I knew what you was saying. I was just giving my opinion on the three. Just don't see Rooster being the man for the job. I do feel like Gary Runyon could become a good HC after get a few more years of experience under Haywood, Cassell, Varney and Tackett.

Does Gary have a teaching degree? Just curious
Patriot1 Wrote:Haywood was from Prestonburg and he got the job a lot of people were saying one of the assistants would get it then but they didn’t. They may go that path this time but in the history of Belfry high school football they have not.After Coach vipperman I think Paul Dotson came back from Mullins a couple years then Coach Roddie(if that is how you spell his name) then Haywood. I may be wrong but they have never promoted from with in the staff that I can remember.

Well....in all fairness...there hasn’t been a need 😊. When Coach Roddy retired, honestly there wasn’t an assistant in staff who was qualified to be a HC at that time. But Haywood had already been successful at P-Burg and the hiring committee quickly sat their sights on him. Right or wrong, when the time does come... I do believe Belfry will promote from within.....unless a big name coach that understands The area and Belfrys tradition were to be available.
Explorer Wrote:Bourbon County does seem like an odd fit. Maybe people are just tossing it around and it has no merit.

While I think we he BC program is in desperate straits....if Jones were to take the job....he may be able to lure some kids from Paris. No doubt that would help him
MountainSports Wrote:Cassell is a great guy and amazing assistant coach. But I would without a doubt put him at 4th best in the system.

Of the coaches currently there.
Tackett, Varney, Chapman, and Cassell in that order would be your best.

The coaches most likely to get it though.
Cassell, Varney, Tackett, And Chapman in that order.

As for David at belfry. Highly unlikely but stranger things have happened.

Without a doubt....Tackett is top flight. Definitely in very top tier of assistants state wide.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:Just a little history on Belfry Head Coaches.

1984 - Pres Philip Haywood - Prestonsburg (When hired Matney was rumored the top candidate)

From Wilson thru Dotson all where promoted from within. In 1957 when Wilson took the job Vipperman was already on staff as an assistant to Patterson and stayed on as an assistant to Wilson, he would take over as HC in 1959. Dotson was on staff with Vipperman and maybe longer when he took over after Vipperman died.

Roddy is interesting in that while he wasn't on the staff when he was hired as HC he had served 4 years under coach Vipperman in the early 60s.

Haywood's hire was the first to break the cycle of local or alum in a very long stretch of time. When he was hired Belfry had three paid assistants on staff, Steve Mickey, Paul May, and Jim Matney. I don't know the ins and outs but from what I have been told, Matney was the local favorite to get the job but Haywood was hired because the Pirates were looking for the stability they had with Vipperman and young with experience after they had lost both Roddy and Vipperman to health concerns.

All that said Haywood has been there so long and built such a tradition and much of his staff (that would be candidates) have been with him since the 03 season as either a player or assistant so promoting from the staff isn't that far fetched.

Good info.....however Marney wasn’t seriously considered at that time. They did entertain one out of area coach, but his wife hated the area. Haywood was intriguing because his P-burg teams had beaten Belfry, and he played a very entertaining style of football....definitely a style that fit the type of kid attending BHS at that time.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:While I think we he BC program is in desperate straits....if Jones were to take the job....he may be able to lure some kids from Paris. No doubt that would help him

Somewhat familiar with the Bourbon/Paris community, remember Paris re-hired Washington in Hodge's first year. I don't think any Paris kids have transferred since then. Washington is well respected, new facility, so he's basically put a fence around Paris kids and got the multisport kids out since. Bourbon Co schools on the other hand I've heard is a hot mess right now.
So. Much. Wow. in this thread........

Good luck to Coach Jones at whatever he does and wherever he ends up!
NoworLater Wrote:Somewhat familiar with the Bourbon/Paris community, remember Paris re-hired Washington in Hodge's first year. I don't think any Paris kids have transferred since then. Washington is well respected, new facility, so he's basically put a fence around Paris kids and got the multisport kids out since. Bourbon Co schools on the other hand I've heard is a hot mess right now.

Why wouldn’t Washington be well respected?!?! Dude only played a decade in the league & when I say played, he was a starter. Would you send your kid to play for an NFLer or across town to play for a small town’s coach???
The Blue Blur Wrote:Why wouldn’t Washington be well respected?!?! Dude only played a decade in the league & when I say played, he was a starter. Would you send your kid to play for an NFLer or across town to play for a small town’s coach???

That all has exactly a zero correlation with coaching football. However his record at Paris compared to the recent history before him is top notch.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:Just a little history on Belfry Head Coaches.

Actually Dotson came from Mullins where I think he coached for a year or two so he wasn’t on the staff. I think Roddy actually was on the staff for awhile then went to Eastern before returning to Williamson then back to Belfry. No it’s not and that may be the way they go and I know some on the staff a hope they do. Actually like the ones I know i like, I said they don’t always do that but some of the guys on the staff deserve that chance but we will have to wait and see.
A lot of opinions in here... just that. Opinions.
The Blue Blur Wrote:Why wouldn’t Washington be well respected?!?! Dude only played a decade in the league & when I say played, he was a starter. Would you send your kid to play for an NFLer or across town to play for a small town’s coach???

I hope this is a play on names...

Think you’ve got him mixed up with somebody else
No he doesn’t
EastKyPride Wrote:No he doesn’t

Boo Washington played a decade in the league?
You're right wrong guy. I thought the Brian Washington I'm referring did coach at Paris at one time though, about a decade ago. I just assumed it was the same guy. This is the guy I was referring to:

http://www.nfl.com/player/brianwashingto...47/profile

If he didn't coach at Paris, then your Brian Washington was signing his cards through the mail C/O Paris High School.
I don't think Boo Washington played in the league. I coached middle school and taught at Paris when he was an assistant under Randy Reese. The only assistant they had at that time that played in the NFL was Rick Massie. He played a few years for the Denver Broncos. As far as David Jones taking players from Paris, if he indeed does take the Bourbon County job, I don't think it will happen. Coach Washington played at Paris and is really well liked and respected by his players and the community. He is a heck of a guy.
The Blue Blur Wrote:You're right wrong guy. I thought the Brian Washington I'm referring did coach at Paris at one time though, about a decade ago. I just assumed it was the same guy. This is the guy I was referring to:

http://www.nfl.com/player/brianwashingto...47/profile

If he didn't coach at Paris, then your Brian Washington was signing his cards through the mail C/O Paris High School.

Coach Washington is in his mid 40's and went to college at EKU.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:I would say decent, top Mountain school. From 1950 on they were competing for Conference titles and later District and regional titles. They have always had a good tradition and in 79 lost in the State Title game before that they made the playoffs a lot when that was actually an accomplishment, Haywood came in made a big impact in the mid to late 80s, things started to thaw in the early 90s and there was a time in the mid to late 90s when there were some grumblings that his time was over, his style antiquated and time to move on, lucky for us not enough people where complaining. It wasn't until 2003 when Belfry became Belfry and became a yearly contender.

I can say this for a fact: before Russell and Belfry had their outstanding battles in the mid-2000s, those same battles were even more intense in the late 70s and early 80s. Russell and Belfry were probably both top-five teams in 1978 and 1979 (Russell winning state in '78 and Belfry failing to make the playoffs, and Belfry going to state in '79 with Russell missing the playoffs).
Pages: 1 2 3 4